1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 20:172 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    My friend I have been seeking the truth for many, many years, I have studied many texts including the bible, I have approached many faiths, christianity of course, sought enlightenment and truth and found just peace and contentment. Your god, contrary to your belief, is not available to all who choose to believe in him, of this I can assure you. I should agree with anything in the bible then one should immediately accept the whole thing.
    ( I would never have joined this debate but for your unreasoned and clearly nonsensical contention that 'logic' dictates that if one should agree with anything in the bible then one should immediately accept the whole thing.)

I understand now what you mean and you are correct...perhaps I did not articulate what I meant. I apologize... What I meant to say was that if one believes one section of the bible to be God inspired, and not other sections, to me, this is illogical. Then anyone can take any section and do with it what they will without contradiction in other areas.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 20:50
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I understand now what you mean and you are correct...perhaps I did not articulate what I meant. I apologize... What I meant to say was that if one believes one section of the bible to be God inspired, and not other sections, to me, this is illogical.
    Ah! Now that makes all the difference. I have no issue with this point, although that is because it seems to me that belief in any section of the bible is without logical foundation.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 21:32
    Ah! Now that makes all the difference. I have no issue with this point, although that is because it seems to me that belief in any section of the bible is without logical foundation.
    Well, it is when one stops to consider that archeological digs are confirming more and more everyday. Even in the bible itself when man did not have the technology and could not know, consider the following....(copy and paste)

Scientific evidence in the Bible reveals that God is the Creator of the heavens and the earth
    a) The hydrologic cycle: The fact that water is drawn up from the earth into the air
    and later comes down as rain was not known in ancient times, yet God made it
    clear in His Word.
    Job 36:27 and 28: “He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the
    streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on
    mankind.”
    Ecclesiastes 1:7: “All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the
    place the streams come from, there they return again.”
    b) The weather patterns: Modern scientists study the circular patterns of the winds
    by balloon, airplane, and satellite. Ancient man could not track the patterns of the
    weather, yet God revealed in the Bible what they were.
    Ecclesiastes 1:6 (NIV): “The wind blows to the south and turns to the north;
    round and round it goes, ever returning on its course.”
    Ecclesiastes 1:6 (NASB): “Blowing toward the south, then turning toward the
    north, the wind continues swirling along; and on its circular courses the wind
    returns.”
    c) The earth’s suspension in space: Years before the ancient Romans were
    teaching that the earth was being held upon the shoulders of the god Atlas, and
    others were teaching that the earth was held on the back of elephants or a large
    turtle, God revealed that the earth was simply suspended over empty space, or
    suspended in empty space.
    Job 26:7 (NIV): “He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he
    suspends the earth over nothing.”
    Job 26:7 (KJV): “He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth
    the earth upon nothing.”
    ! Archaeology confirms what the Bible says
    a) When the Bible mentions people, places or events, archaeology confirms that they exist as the Bible says they did. Books such as Archaeology and Bible History by Joseph Free document the archaeological accuracy of the Bible.
    ! History confirms what the Bible says
    a) Belshazzar: Daniel 5:1: We now know that Nabonidus was last king and that
    Belshazzar was his son and co-regent.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 02:052 edits
    1. Yes the bible is written by men. Matthew, Mark, Luke, Paul, Moses,Peter, John, etc. Written, but there is one author... God, The Creator of the Heavens and the Earth.

2. I have plainly answered your questions. Jesus did not teach all there was to know because he was a man. He is not God, He is God's Son. He did not know the secret kept hidden from ...[text shortened]...
    I also contend that it is illogical to agree with parts of the bible and not all of the bible.
    You seem to have missed the point of my post. Nevertheless I'll try to work with what you've provided.

Yes the bible is written by men. Matthew, Mark, Luke, Paul, Moses,Peter, John, etc. Written, but there is one author... God, The Creator of the Heavens and the Earth.

What proof can you offer that what was written by these men was "authored" by God? Seems like you choose to believe this simply because you like to believe it to be true.

I have plainly answered your questions.
    Once again reread my post. The point was about you avoiding the points of my post. NOT about your not answering questions.

Jesus did not teach all there was to know because he was a man. He is not God, He is God's Son. He did not know the secret kept hidden from all ages until He ascended and THEN learned the rest. What He taught in His time was for that time.

You keep ignoring that fact that, other than for a few years, it would then be true that the teachings of Jesus would then be worthless. That such a position requires Jesus to have mislead a great number of people. That such a position requires Jesus to have been mistaken when He claimed that He and God were one. That such a position means that men who followed Jesus are your true "Lord[s]" since you follow their teachings.

I also contend that it is illogical to agree with parts of the bible and not all of the bible.

This doesn't make any sense. Just because a portion of a book is true doesn't necessarily mean that all of the book is true. Surely you can understand this.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 02:192 edits
    Thank you for your input Jaywill, and I am pleased that you find your faith rewarding.
    ====================================
    Thank you for your input Jaywill, and I am pleased that you find your faith rewarding.
    ======================================

You are welcome.

In playing chess I am told it is important to get your share of the middle of the board early in the game. You have to get some pawns and some stronger pieces to carve you out a place in the center first thing in the game.

That's what they tell me.

There is a strong spiritual correspondence to this in the Christan life:

First thing in the morning, take some time to read the Bible. Even if you start with just 5 minutes and grow to 10 minutes, that is excellent. Even three minutes is a good start.

But let your FIRST transaction of the day be with God in His word. This is the equivalent of getting positioned in the center of the board in chess. This habit of STARTING your day with God's word will be of advantageous benefit to the spiritually hungry person.

After a week of doing this you will notice the difference in your daily life. After about two weeks of starting your day with God, people around you will begin to notice the difference in you.

This is one of the single most beneficial and practical things I can advize to anyone wanting to get to know God. Learn to START every day with God in His word.

I hope that every chess game you play when you attempt to control the center of the board, you'll be reminded of this. This habit will change your life and God will definitely become real to you.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 18:47
    Well, it is when one stops to consider that archeological digs are confirming more and more everyday. Even in the bible itself when man did not have the technology and could not know, consider the following....(copy and paste)

Scientific evidence in the Bible reveals that God is the Creator of the heavens and the earth
    a) The hydrologic cycle: T ...[text shortened]... l 5:1: We now know that Nabonidus was last king and that
    Belshazzar was his son and co-regent.
    Well, it would be astounding if such an extensive collection of ancient texts didn't contain the odd grain of truth, particularly concerning ancient geography. And none of the other details you mention surprise me, as it seems to me that we continually underestimate the extent of knowledge and wisdom in antiquity. Were it not for the terrible loss of the library at Alexandria, we would, I am sure, have a much greater respect for the knowledge and wisdom of ancient scholars. And as we have already established, these nuggets of truth in scripture in no way provide evidence for the truth of the more outlandish stories and events. Archaeology has provided considerable evidence for elements of truth within Homer's writings, but I still don't believe that Achilleus was a demigod who was dipped in the Styx when he was a baby.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 19:02
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]====================================
    ======================================

You are welcome.

In playing chess I am told it is important to get your share of the middle of the board early in the game. You have to get some pawns and some stronger ...[text shortened]... eminded of this. This habit will change your life and God will definitely become real to you.[/b]
    While I appreciate your good intentions, it is my belief that the benefits you ascribe to your relationship with god come in fact from a different source entirely, and that an avowed atheist can just as easily achieve the peace and enlightenment you feel are available only to the saved. I make no assertions regarding post-corporeality, however - I'll deal with that if and when.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 19:21
    I understand now what you mean and you are correct...perhaps I did not articulate what I meant. I apologize... What I meant to say was that if one believes one section of the bible to be God inspired, and not other sections, to me, this is illogical.
    I am afraid that is not a logical conclusion either. If one believes some of the books, or some of the contents of some of the books to be God inspired, it does not, in any way logically follow that the rest of it must be God inspired. Similarly, just because you do not believe that a given part is not God inspired, it does not logically follow that all of it is God inspired.
    This would apply even if it was all one coherent book written by one person, but considering that it consists of a wide range of books written by a wide range of people, it makes even more sense not to make any hasty conclusions regarding Gods inspiration.

It is actually quite trivial to show that your claim was illogical:
    Some Jews believe parts of the Old Testament to be God inspired. It would be ridiculous to claim that they must therefore believe the New Testament to be God inspired.

Then anyone can take any section and do with it what they will without contradiction in other areas.
    This doesn't follow. Someone may have perfectly valid reasons for rejecting certain parts of the Bible. These reasons may not mean that they can do what they will with the parts they do accept, nor does it necessarily mean they get to pick and choose what they keep.
    Of course, this whole discussion goes back the the origin of the current selection of books in the Bible. Who chose them and why? If I was to change the selection, what would it do to your beliefs?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 19:26
    a) The hydrologic cycle: The fact that water is drawn up from the earth into the air
    and later comes down as rain was not known in ancient times, yet God made it
    clear in His Word.
    You contradict yourself.
    You say 'it was not known', then quote an ancient text proving that it was known.
    To whom was it not known?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree