1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 21:27
    Isn't it just amazing. It is almost terrifying it's so spectacular. This is a hand out to all my fellow humans, may we do justice to this gift that is life. I hope some day my actions will prove i deserved it. 🙂
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 23:26
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Isn't it just amazing. It is almost terrifying it's so spectacular. This is a hand out to all my fellow humans, may we do justice to this gift that is life. I hope some day my actions will prove i deserved it. 🙂
    Me too!
  3. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 23:55
    This is lovely. I happened upon this thread by accident, but I'm glad.

Lately my being alive seems to have the theme of terrifying and spectacular! Seriously. I work just to keep the "I" out of it and enjoy.

😀
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:011 edit
    We're all such lucky bastards, it just blows my mind! 🙄
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:372 edits
    Amazing? What's amazing about it? After all, science can explain where we came from and why we are here and where we are headed. It's all perfectly logical. You might say science has taken the "amazing" aspect of life from us now that we know everything there is to know about everything. We are just by products of amino acids that sprang from the sea and abra cadabra, here we are!!! Forgive me for the emotion, there is nothing logical about emotion nor is there anything logical about abra cadabra. Wait, why are my ears becoming pointed? What am I evolving into? What's happening to me!!!! 😛
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:43
    We're all such lucky bastards, it just blows my mind! 🙄
    What's her name?
  7. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:442 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Amazing? What's amazing about it? After all, science can explain where we came from and why we are here and where we are headed. It's all perfectly logical. You might say science has taken the "amazing" aspect of life from us now that we know everything there is to know about everything. We are just by products of amino acids that sprang from the sea an ...[text shortened]... why are my ears becoming pointed? What am I evolving into? What's happening to me!!!! 😛
    I would say that the original post was emotional and clearly so.

I believe in evolution myself but I think saying "You might say science has taken the "amazing" aspect of life from us now that we know everything there is to know about everything" when our existence is a microBLIP on the timeline of life is shortsighted.

Er, um, don't see anything wrong with the joy of being alive and saying so.

😵
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:52
    Originally posted by Sunburnt
    I would say that the original post was emotional and clearly so.

I believe in evolution myself but I think saying "You might say science has taken the "amazing" aspect of life from us now that we know everything there is to know about everything" when our existence is a microBLIP on the timeline of life is shortsighted.

Er, um, don't see anything wrong with the joy of being alive and saying so.

😵
    I was attempting to demonstrate a little humor here. You see, I find life amazing also. I also am not against evolution in theory. However, I find those who come across as knowing everything via science begin to suck such joy from my soul. Not everything is understandable and everything will NEVER be understandable. For example, there will be an eternal mystery to such phenomenon to what we call "life". You see, I believe in God and believe he created me and that he loves me and I have no earthly idea as to how or why!! Now that's joy and amazement!!!
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:56
    Amazing? What's amazing about it? After all, science can explain where we came from and why we are here and where we are headed. It's all perfectly logical. You might say science has taken the "amazing" aspect of life from us now that we know everything there is to know about everything. We are just by products of amino acids that sprang from the sea an ...[text shortened]... why are my ears becoming pointed? What am I evolving into? What's happening to me!!!! 😛
    Let's take your analogy one step further.

God is so much more interesting when we know nothing of him. Quick, let's burn all the bibles.

No no, my friend, knowledge makes life more interesting, not less.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:582 edits
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    God is so much more interesting when we know nothing of him. Quick, let's burn all the bibles.
    Nice try, but I'm not falling for that old trick a second time Scotty. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me 😛
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 01:08
    I was attempting to demonstrate a little humor here. You see, I find life amazing also. I also am not against evolution in theory. However, I find those who come across as knowing everything via science begin to suck such joy from my soul. Not everything is understandable and everything will NEVER be understandable. For example, there will be an eternal ...[text shortened]... at he loves me and I have no earthly idea as to how or why!! Now that's joy and amazement!!!
    You make a big mistake if you think that knowing about something removes any emotion or spirit from it. I hesitate to mention Richard Dawkins here - I'm not a fan of his later dogmatic works - but he made a useful point in his book Unweaving the Rainbow.
    Understanding the nature of light and how its dispersion creates rainbow effects doesn't make the beauty or poetry of a rainbow any less. In Dawkins view, and I must agree with him here, the extra dimension of scientific understanding adds to our vision, it doesn't subtract from it.
    You're right, we can never understand everything, but I think it's in our nature to try and we shouldn't resort to some sort of dark age mysticism in the mistaken view that keeping us stupid is somehow more noble a way to love.

Oh, and I agree with the original post.
    Life is amazing and I love being alive. I also love watching the two lives I helped create grow up ...
  12. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 01:27
    I was attempting to demonstrate a little humor here. You see, I find life amazing also. I also am not against evolution in theory. However, I find those who come across as knowing everything via science begin to suck such joy from my soul. Not everything is understandable and everything will NEVER be understandable. For example, there will be an eternal ...[text shortened]... at he loves me and I have no earthly idea as to how or why!! Now that's joy and amazement!!!
    Ok, well I see the humor and agree:

"However, I find those who come across as knowing everything via science begin to suck such joy from my soul. Not everything is understandable and everything will NEVER be understandable."

Have a good evening.

😉
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 07:48
    amen to that!!!!
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 10:04
    If you think Science detracts from the amazingness, i can only assume you haven't read any. Knowing that we evolved from little tiny organisms makes the whole thing more miraculous if you ask me. 😏
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 10:11
    You see, I believe in God and believe he created me and that he loves me and I have no earthly idea as to how or why!! Now that's joy and amazement!!!
    That feeling you have, I have that exact same feeling, just without the God bit. Being an atheist isn't short hand for 'know it all cynical bastard who can't see beauty because he's too busy measuring the flowers diameter to see it's pretty colours' 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree