Being alive

Being alive

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by whodey
However, I find those who come across as knowing everything via science begin to suck such joy from my soul.
Scientists have been searching for a "theory of everything" for ever so long. If you have met someone who knows the theory please let us know too as he has been keeping it really quiet.
I have never personally met anyone who claimed to know everything via science.
For me there is such joy in learning and finding out things.

It appears to me that your problem is that you also feel the joy of learning and searching for answers but you are afraid that the answers are limited and so do not actually want to know them or your searching will come to an end. Don't be afraid, there is always more to learn.

JE

Moves
06 Jul 07

Amazing? What's amazing about it? After all, science can explain where we came from and why we are here and where we are headed. It's all perfectly logical. You might say science has taken the "amazing" aspect of life from us now that we know everything there is to know about everything. We are just by products of amino acids that sprang from the sea an ...[text shortened]... why are my ears becoming pointed? What am I evolving into? What's happening to me!!!! 😛
Its amazing we exist. I wonder what would have happened if the waiting list to study nursing in Ireland had been a little shorter and my mum had desided to stay over there to train instead of moving to Britian. And what if my grandfather hadn't sent my dad to school in England? Because my grandfather was a diplomat and my father was born in Germany and has lived all over really, from the Bahamas to Isreal. But what if my great grandfather hadn't moved from Dublin to Belgium? He wouldn't have met my great grandmother and my diplomat grandfather would never have existed? In fact, looking at the number of contries I can trace my roots to, there must have been a load of random meetings for someone to end up 5/8 Irish, 1/8 Belgian, 1/16 Welsh, 1/16 American, 3/32 Scottish and 1/32 French?

Thats going back a few generations. Wonder exactly how many it is since my great (times alot) grandfather was a single celled organism? Its pretty amazing to think about it. I wonder what the chance of me existing was?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
Isn't it just amazing. It is almost terrifying it's so spectacular. This is a hand out to all my fellow humans, may we do justice to this gift that is life. I hope some day my actions will prove i deserved it. 🙂
I agree it is amazing and almost terrifying. But I don't I will ever deserve it. I can only try to glorify God with my actions and thoughts because that's why we are here. But all goodness I receive is purely by God's grace. And since it is freely given, I can only try to reflect that grace toward others.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Scientists have been searching for a "theory of everything" for ever so long. If you have met someone who knows the theory please let us know too as he has been keeping it really quiet.
I have never personally met anyone who claimed to know everything via science.
For me there is such joy in learning and finding out things.
Oh you know the type - they have faith that science can and will answer all questions. Science is man's only hope for happiness and prosperity and world peace. It may not have all the answer, but it will eventually. In other words, they worship science.

e

Moves
06 Jul 07

We're all such lucky bastards, it just blows my mind! 🙄
can you tell that to the mother who has just found out her two year old daughter was brutally raped then murdered?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
06 Jul 07

Nice try, but I'm not falling for that old trick a second time Scotty. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me 😛
Garn, thought I was going to get you on a bible burning spree again!

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
can you tell that to the mother who has just found out her two year old daughter was brutally raped then murdered?
I'll leave that to you... 😉

JE

Moves
06 Jul 07

Originally posted by Coletti
Oh you know the type - they have faith that science can and will answer all questions. Science is man's only hope for happiness and prosperity and world peace. It may not have all the answer, but it will eventually. In other words, they worship science.
I suppose thats why religion is so much better. Doesn't even need to look for answers, just say 'God did it!', and your sorted.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
10 Jul 07

Isn't it just amazing. It is almost terrifying it's so spectacular. This is a hand out to all my fellow humans, may we do justice to this gift that is life. I hope some day my actions will prove i deserved it. 🙂
I don't want to make any partisan points here MARINK . As one human being to another can I say I dig where you are coming from. I think this basic human sense of awe at just being alive is the beginnings of spirituality but I also think it's one thing that christians and atheists can agree on. If we all had this feeling more often there would be less war and hate etc. God or no God I think we are all called to the feeling wonder of life itself

You reminded me of the scene in the film called alive! where ethan hawkes stands on the mountains and says similar stuff to you. Do you know of the film?