1. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Two.
    Thief on the cross.
    And ..... ?

Is it someone you know personally?
    No. It is someone a preacher told me about.
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:02
    [b]My aploigies. I did not realise your skin was so thin.
    I'm not. It doesn't require thin skin to recognize a boorish, insulting behavior.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:04
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    No. It is someone a preacher told me about.
    And the preacher told you the person died and received salvation ?
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:07
    About the oft-quoted passage in James "faith without works is dead":

I look at it very simply--James did NOT say faith without works means you will go to hell and suffer for eternity there. He simply said it's dead. I believe there are many in heaven who don't have much to show in their walk with Christ here on earth, and that is what he meant by dead. In comparison to say, Paul, or Billy Sunday, my faith would look dead, too. The point is you can have a "dead" faith and still have faith, in my opinion.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:15

I look at it very simply--James did NOT say faith without works means you will go to hell and suffer for eternity there. He simply said it's dead. I believe there are many in heaven who don't have much to show in their walk with Christ here on earth, and that is what he meant by de ...[text shortened]... dead, too. The point is you can have a "dead" faith and still have faith, in my opinion.
    St Paul says faith without love has no meaning. What is love? It is the
    expression of compassion or charity to someone, especially those in need;
    in other words, love is works when properly motivated.

A dead faith is St James' equivalent of St Paul's noisy gong or clanging cymbal.

Nemesio
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:17

I look at it very simply--James did NOT say faith without works means you will go to hell and suffer for eternity there. He simply said it's dead. I believe there are many in heaven who don't have much to show in their walk with Christ here on earth, and that is what he meant by de ...[text shortened]... dead, too. The point is you can have a "dead" faith and still have faith, in my opinion.
    So faith without works means you are saved.

What do you think of this verse :

James 2: 14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Do you think the answer here is 'Yes' ?
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:27
    And the preacher told you the person died and received salvation ?
    actually he said the person received salvation by accepting Christ as his personal savior, THEN died, but yes.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:28
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    St Paul says faith without love has no meaning. What is love? It is the
    expression of compassion or charity to someone, especially those in need;
    in other words, love is works when properly motivated.

A dead faith is St James' equivalent of St Paul's noisy gong or clanging cymbal.

Nemesio
    Could be. That's a reasonable interpretation, too.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:29
    So faith without works means you are saved.

What do you think of this verse :

James 2: 14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Do you think the answer here is 'Yes' ?
    No, not faith. But Grace? Yes. I believe grace could save even that person of whom James speaks.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:36
    No, not faith. But Grace? Yes. I believe grace could save even that person of whom James speaks.
    What about this one:

"James 2 : 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. "

Dead = Salvation ?

Seriously Pink Floyd, whatever profession you are in now, I suggest that you leave that and become a pastor. Start your own church, becuase there are fools born every day that would love to believe that they can do absolutely nothing and have dead faith and still get salvation. You will be a rich man !!
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:37
    Could be. That's a reasonable interpretation, too.
    Nemesio's interpretation is kinda the opposite of yours.
    How can both be reasonable?
  12. Illinois
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 03:15
    Its impossible to get a straight answer from you guys.
    But I will be patient. Here is the question again :

How many deathbed confessions that you know of have led to salvation?
    How many deathbed confessions that you know of have led to salvation?

One. My mother-in-law's sister died last year. On her deathbed she repented of her sins and confessed Christ as her Lord and Savior. This was an older woman who had been fiercely atheistic her entire life. It wasn't until after many months of suffering from a terminal illness that she finally submitted to Christ without reservation. She died soon thereafter.
    _________

I answered your question, Raj, now please answer mine:

Jesus told me that if I believe in Him, I have eternal life.

I believe in Him.

Now, tell me why I shouldn't trust that I have eternal life?
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 03:28
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    One. My mother-in-law's sister died last year. On her deathbed she repented of her sins and confessed Christ as her Lord and Savior. This was an older woman who had been fiercely atheistic her entire life. It wasn't until after many months of suffering from a terminal illness that she finally submitted to Christ without reservation. She died soon thereafter.
    I think his emphasis is on the 'knowing' part. You believe that her deathbed
    conversion resulted in salvation, but you don't know it. I think that was his
    point.

That is, only God could know the actual state of her heart, not you. While you
    might believe that it was sincere, people who are desperate can seem pretty
    compelling.

Please don't see my post as expressing doubt in your mother-in-law's sincerity.
    I don't know one way or the other, and consequently have no reason to
    believe one thing or another. I'm just trying to follow what I think is his
    point.

Nemesio
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 05:13
    What about this one:

"James 2 : 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. "

Dead = Salvation ?

Seriously Pink Floyd, whatever profession you are in now, I suggest that you leave that and become a pastor. Start your own church, becuase there are fools born every day that would love to believe that they can do absolutely nothing and have dead faith and still get salvation. You will be a rich man !!
    I never said dead = salvation. I DID say dead does NOT = a lack of salvation. If you can't see the difference, I am not sure I can explain it to you.
    As far as people believeing they can do absolutely nothing and get salvation, that is most assuredly true. WE don't choose Christ; He chooses US, and alMOST every non-cultish Protestant denomination teaches that. If yours doesn't, fine. We have differing doctrines, and Christians can and do disagree on doctrine a lot. Doesn't mean one of us is going to hell over it, though. We CAN be civil-tongued and still disagree. However...

"Seriously Rajk", I was caught in President Bush's trickle down economy--and wouldn't ya know it? The textile industry didn't get trickled down; it got shat upon. So my "profession" has been former mathematician for over 5 years now. And I don't need any advice from you, sarcastic or otherwise, about finding new employment.

This will be my last transmission to you.
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 05:13
    Nemesio's interpretation is kinda the opposite of yours.
    How can both be reasonable?
    😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree