1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:181 edit
    Well, my ego doesn't like it. But I tend to learn a lot when it happens.

That's what I tell people who give me evidence against evolution. They act like I think it's a sacrament or something. But really, it's not. If evidence comes out that overturns it, I'm fine with that. In fact, in some ways, it would be very interesting, because we would be learning a new truth, as well as finding out why so many scientists were wrong for so many years.

(Aside...
    I'm sure I'm not the only atheist who has noticed that theists assume we are simply a bizarro-version of them. Like we have to have revered leaders, sacraments, holy writ, etc.
    Bizarro-reverend Dawkins would like to read from the Atheistica now. Let us all turn to the 2nd letter of Christopher Hitchens to the Credulians; chapter 4, verse 13.
    Imagine if we were to go to the dying religious and tell them, 'you don't have to live your last few days as a serf, you know. You can renounce your religion and embrace reason.'
    Our Father, Charles Darwin, who art 6 feet under, I pray that you let these eminently reasonable people absorb the wisdom of the words they have heard. Lead them not into Gullibility, and deliver them from Jehovah's Witnesses. Amen.

...but I digress)
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:23
    Just wait until you find out there is a God, after all.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That would be awesome.

... and so many to choose from!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 01:39
    And souls, and angels, and demons, and all that, eh?

My first words (I promise) will be,
    You mean crazy Suzi was right?!? 😲
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:301 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:46
    SwissGambit,
    You need to go "prove it" to yourself using all the sciences and all the capabilities modern science has today. If you don't, then you are accepting evolution by faith. You are not accepting it by science. Lastly, the evolution is only a theory. Even Darwin admitted that his findings could be proven wrong.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 04:14
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Well, my ego doesn't like it. But I tend to learn a lot when it happens.

That's what I tell people who give me evidence against evolution. They act like I think it's a sacrament or something. But really, it's not. If evidence comes out that overturns it, I'm fine with that. In fact, in some ways, it would be very interesting, because we would be learn ...[text shortened]... ot into Gullibility, and deliver them from Jehovah's Witnesses. Amen.[/quote]
    ...but I digress)
    My scenario would be thus:

divegeester dies and finds himself ... on earth in a field with some hand drawn sheep and a few carnivores lying on their backs having their tummies tickled by some happy but rather smug looking people.

"What's this? No heaven? No Jesus? "

Enter a dude with wings.

"All hail to Jehovah"

"Who are you?"

"I am Mike"

"Where's Jesus?"

"I'm him too"... "I am also god"... "sort of"

"Oh shlt"

"So can I stay here?"

"LOL"

"Oh shlt" "Look, I've been a Christian for years and believed in you...err Jesus...err, you know what I mean"

"You do not believe in Jehovah" "you are not one of the awesome ones"

"But I did good stuff. Sometimes"

"Insufficient" "you are not awesome, you are not a witness of Jehovah"

"Yes I am"

"No you are not"

"Yes...I AM"

"You are uncertified"

"WTF"

Suddenly is occurs to me that this is my HELL.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 07:46
    Uhg...
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 07:51
    The point is we have no problem with believing god exists. When it's made clear that he indeed exists we will accept that without a problem. We have no problem changing our viewpoints when there's a good reason to do so.

Why is the act of believing that God exists so important?

I am willing to understand why it would be "required" to believe that God is good (in the same way that an employer might not be able to work with/for his boss when he doesn't believe that what his boss does, is good) but that's not the issue.

Why is it so important that we believe he exists instead of knowing?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 08:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    That would be awesome.

... and so many to choose from!
    pick and mix
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 08:09
    how can you tell when a woman is talking rubbish....yes her mouth is moving.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 12:48
    Originally posted by redbarons
    how can you tell when a woman is talking rubbish....yes her mouth is moving.
    Do you have any insight into how we can tell when an Internet troll is posting in a discussion ?
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 12:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Can I have a masterful goddess? After all, I married one.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 14:171 edit
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    SwissGambit,
    You need to go "prove it" to yourself using all the sciences and all the capabilities modern science has today. If you don't, then you are accepting evolution by faith. You are not accepting it by science. Lastly, the evolution is only a theory. Even Darwin admitted that his findings could be proven wrong.
    It's one of the characteristics of science that it's theories are provisional. Some people treat this like it is a flaw, demonstrating that they either don't get it, or don't like it.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 16:16
    Originally posted by sonship
    Do you have any insight into how we can tell when an Internet troll is posting in a discussion ?
    that's a 10 pointer you argue about god but believe in trolls very interesting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree