1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 15:23
    @moonbus said
    Scientists believe things, but that doesn’t mean that science is a kind of a religion. Are you one of these people who think that science is just an alternative religion with nobody in place of God?
    The words “faith” and “belief” are used in common fashion across the board, and they remain no different regardless of the objects of focus. The objects of faith and belief focus may change, but faith and belief remain the same. Suggesting due to the objects of focus causes faith/beliefs to be redefined has more to do with worldview nothing else.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 17:281 edit
    @kellyjay said
    The words “faith” and “belief” are used in common fashion across the board, and they remain no different regardless of the objects of focus. The objects of faith and belief focus may change, but faith and belief remain the same. Suggesting due to the objects of focus causes faith/beliefs to be redefined has more to do with worldview nothing else.
    The bottom line in all your waffle KellyJay, is that you believe that an invisible entity made everything happen, but you have no proof.

No Christians have proof. There isn’t any.

Grow up dude; just believe and live it yourself.
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 21:03
    @divegeester said
    The bottom line in all your waffle KellyJay, is that you believe that an invisible entity made everything happen, but you have no proof.

Looking for evidence of God's existence is like an old saying: the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The Irish would say that the proof is in the drinking; 86 proof Irish whiskey.

In Kentucky, they produce 101 proof Wild Turkey, a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. But when it comes to spirits, holy or not, 100 proof is still only 50% spiritual truth.

Those searching for the proof of God should stop looking. God will come looking for you, because He loves us so much, and has, for the longest time. And when He finds us, it will be heaven and hell for everyone; the sweet mixed with the bitter, in moderation.

YouTube
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 22:19
    @pettytalk said
    Looking for evidence of God's existence is like an old saying: the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The Irish would say that the proof is in the drinking; 86 proof Irish whiskey.

In Kentucky, they produce 101 proof Wild Turkey, a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. But when it comes to spirits, holy or not, 100 proof is still only 50% spiritual truth.

Those se ...[text shortened]... yone; the sweet mixed with the bitter, in moderation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv_CfN3oiOU
    What a load of nonsense. Are you drunk?
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 06:21
    Why isn't string theory and the axion particle, neither of which is testable and remain without validation in their interrelated fields, considered as pseudoscience? If it's that they're interrelated then it's at least conceding to creative or philosophical principles in a similar vein of Feynman or Bohm. What this really anticipates is a postmodern analysis in science, instead of a modern classical approach.

Scientific belief arrears itself in places, e.g. the genetic or embryonic therapy, which hasn't obtained to anywhere to any nominal significance.
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 12:23
    @moonbus said
    Scientists believe things, but that doesn’t mean that science is a kind of a religion. Science is about facts and how things work. Religion is about values and mankind’s wherefore.

Are you one of these people who think that science is just an alternative belief system with nobody in place of God?
    The OP is about the value of religion/faith/belief, not about the value of science. The value of science is well-established.

Scientists like to say, "Whether human life has value is not a scientific question." Then you ask them what they do and they say, "I conduct research to preserve and extend human life."

Me: "Do you believe in your work?"
    Them: "Yes, very much."
    Me: "Why?"
    Them: "Because I believe it is important."
    Me: "Why?"
    Them: "I just do."
    Me: "So belief in the importance of human life is your relgion."
    Them: "NO I'M NOT RELIGIOUS I HATE THE INVISIBLE SKY BEING THAT'S NOT SCIENCE"

🙂
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 16:231 edit
    @spruce112358 said
    FMF posted: "Belief in belief is the notion that religious belief has positive benefits and should be fostered or tolerated, without the need to subscribe to the belief in question. In western societies this is commonly expressed in cases where people feel that religious belief brings comfort and moral guidance. ~ rationalwiki

What are the strengths and weaknesses of ...[text shortened]... ist and the most hard-core atheist can build edifices that end in similar places.

That's amazing.
    One point, belief in belief, makes belief the object of belief instead of whatever you really are putting your faith into.

We are not talking about the force young Skywalker. 😀
  8. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 18:26
    @kellyjay said
    We are not talking about the force young Skywalker. 😀
    Or are we...

Are these not the beliefs you're looking for?
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 18:441 edit
    @spruce112358 said
    The OP is about the value of religion/faith/belief, not about the value of science. The value of science is well-established.

Scientists like to say, "Whether human life has value is not a scientific question." Then you ask them what they do and they say, "I conduct research to preserve and extend human life."

Me: "Do you believe in your work?"
    Them: "Yes, very mu ...[text shortened]... your relgion."
    Them: "NO I'M NOT RELIGIOUS I HATE THE INVISIBLE SKY BEING THAT'S NOT SCIENCE"

🙂
    Why this insistence that belief is religion? Belief is peculiarly Christian. Pagans and Buddhists don't care what people believe; paganism and Buddhism are religions focused on practises, not beliefs. 'But you have to believe in what you're doing to practise anything.' No, one doesn't. Buddhism is quite explicit about this: it does not matter what one believes, you can even believe Buddhism is bunk; all you have to do is practise the meditation exercises, and you'll eventually get it. Even if you don't believe meditation will get you there. 'But you still have to believe Buddhism is the right thing you should be practising.' No, you don't even have to believe that.
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 18:46
    @rajk999 said
    What a load of nonsense. Are you drunk?
    I'm not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. The Maker's Mark; His spirit.

https://whiskey.fandom.com/wiki/Maker%27s_Mark
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 18:52
    @spruce112358 said
    Or are we...

Are these not the beliefs you're looking for?
    🥺These are not the beliefs I’m looking for. 😱
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 18:531 edit
    @moonbus said
    Why this insistence that belief is religion? Belief is peculiarly Christian. Pagans and Buddhists don't care what people believe; paganism and Buddhism are religions focused on practises, not beliefs. 'But you have to believe in what you're doing to practise anything.' No, one doesn't. Buddhism is quite explicit about this: it does not matter what one believes, you can even b ...[text shortened]... ieve Buddhism is the right thing you should be practising.' No, you don't even have to believe that.
    You have to believe that what you are doing will show you what you are looking for, if that wasn’t true would you do it?
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 20:14
    @kellyjay said
    You have to believe that what you are doing will show you what you are looking for, if that wasn’t true would you do it?
    I've tried all kinds of things without believing anything about them in advance.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 20:19
    @divegeester said

The bottom line for KJ and many other Chrtistians I might add, is: they believe that belief matters, that God is going to judge what is in their minds.

It is a bizarre dogma, that only people who have a certain set of beliefs are going to heaven and that everyone else is going to hell in a handbasket.
  15. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 21:57
    @moonbus said
    Why this insistence that belief is religion?
    Well, I was raised Unitarian and my pastor, whom I admired very much and who was a true scholar as well as a humanitarian, used to say, "Religion is your total way of life." I still remember that from age 14.

So when he asked 'What is your religion?' he meant not only what do you believe, but what do you think, what principles have you decided to live by, how have you decided to act?

When Unitarians talk about one's religion it is more, "Tell us about yourself. Tell us about your beliefs. Tell us your Credo. What have you found to be true and how does that guide your thoughts and actions?"

So I guess that's why.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree