1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:48
    @moonbus said
    @spruce112358

There are two problems with "belief in belief."

One is that one cannot, psychologically cannot, get oneself to believe something simply because one wants to believe it or because one thinks it might be beneficial (despite its being evidently false or unprovable). Try, try real hard, to believe that 2+2=5. Or that Donald Trump really won the 2020 election. ...[text shortened]... e of which happens to be put in a box marked 'scientific' and the other in a box marked 'religious.'
    Are the beliefs that "humanity must try to understand the universe" and "humanity has value" and "my life has a purpose" scientific or religious beliefs, in your view?

Because I think even scientists sometimes need to believe that their lives have a purpose. Especially when contemplating the infinite vastness of space.

You say we cannot believe something 'because we want to'. But do we not choose to believe that we matter?
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:51
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It is really unfortunate that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity have been fighting each other for centuries.

Hindus, on the other hand, never had any beef.
    They never had any beef because...

what goes around, comes around.

πŸ™‚
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:58
    @spruce112358 said

πŸ™‚
    Nice. πŸ™‚
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 21:00
    @spruce112358 said

πŸ™‚
    This was a good one!

Well done! πŸ™‚

-VR
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 01:44
    @very-rusty said
    Ghost believes if he said it and he thought it was funny, everyone else should see it to, is the impression I get. πŸ™‚

-VR
    Yes, when he tells people what he believes is true, that too should change everyone's mind because he explained what he meant, more times than not I do agree with him, but from time to time, not so much.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 11:05
    @kellyjay said
    To believe in science you have to accept quite a few things on faith, that the universe is understandable, that we can understand it. What we are accepting as fact are indeed facts, belief/faith is an unavoidable thing in the human experience.
    YouTube
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 18:29

Removed by poster

8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 18:30
    @kellyjay said
    To believe in science you have to accept quite a few things on faith, that the universe is understandable, that we can understand it. What we are accepting as fact are indeed facts, belief/faith is an unavoidable thing in the human experience.
    Science is not about faith.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 22:151 edit
    @suzianne said
    Science is not about faith.
    We are creatures that live by faith, you must have faith that we can do science, or what is the point, you must have faith that we can understand the universe to study it or what is the point, you must have faith that what your conclusions are based upon factual truth, or what is the point? You go to work to get paid, because you believe they will pay you when it is time or what is the point?

Blind faith is believing without cause, faith is putting your trust in what you are doing is worth doing or what is the point?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 11:25
    @kellyjay said
    We are creatures that live by faith, you must have faith that we can do science, or what is the point, you must have faith that we can understand the universe to study it or what is the point, you must have faith that what your conclusions are based upon factual truth, or what is the point? You go to work to get paid, because you believe they will pay you when it is time or ...[text shortened]... ithout cause, faith is putting your trust in what you are doing is worth doing or what is the point?
    Science is not about faith in the slightest. Science is about fact. Hypotheses are compiled then proven, or else proven wrong. There is nothing in science about faith.

Religion is about faith because it is not proved; it is the 'evidence' of things unseen.
  11. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 11:53
    @suzianne said
    Science is not about faith in the slightest. Science is about fact. Hypotheses are compiled then proven, or else proven wrong. There is nothing in science about faith.

Religion is about faith because it is not proved; it is the 'evidence' of things unseen.
    Right. Science has no axioms because everything can be questioned.

Mathematics, though, has axioms. If you don't believe in the axioms, you can't do any math. So is mathematics more like religion than science? πŸ™‚

What about the statement, "Humanity has worth, so doing science to understand how to help humanity is good." How does a scientist prove that humanity has worth?

Or, "We must understand the Universe, therefore I must do science." So the scientist believes he must understand the Universe. Why? Can he prove through science that he MUST understand the Universe? I don't think so.

I think FMF's original question was about whether religion and belief could be argued to have value EVEN for scientists.

I have come to agree. I believe... in belief.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 12:241 edit
    @spruce112358 said
    Are the beliefs that "humanity must try to understand the universe" and "humanity has value" and "my life has a purpose" scientific or religious beliefs, in your view?

Because I think even scientists sometimes need to believe that their lives have a purpose. Especially when contemplating the infinite vastness of space.

You say we cannot believe something 'because we want to'. But do we not choose to believe that we matter?
    "Humanity must try to understand the universe" is not a belief in the sense in which some people believe, for example, that God became man and died for man's sins. In fact, I don't know anyone who believes that "humanity must try to understand the universe." Trying to understand how nature works has an obvious evolutionary survival value, in that people who don't understand how really basic things function, such has how pray-animals migrate and which plants are poisonous and so on, don't live long enough to pass on their genes. Trying to understand the world we live in is just something we do, like breathing, it's not about believing. Believing that God became man and died for mankind's sins has no evolutionary value; there is no natural selection pressure to believe this and pass on one's genes by virtue of having believed just this (rather than some other, possibly erroneous, belief). Whereas, if you erroneously believe hemlock to be not poisonous, it has an obvious survival dis-advantage.

Similarly, it is weird to talk of believing that "humanity has value" and "my life has a purpose." Your life has a purpose or it doesn't -- your believing it has a purpose or no purpose adds nothing to its having or not having a purpose. Your purpose, if you have one, is not to believe something. It's rather like breathing: my believing I'm breathing adds nothing to my breathing.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 13:01
    @suzianne said

You think all things we call facts are indeed facts as we believe them to be? Every single one of them!?
  14. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 13:30
    @moonbus said
    "Humanity must try to understand the universe" is not a belief in the sense in which some people believe, for example, that God became man and died for man's sins. In fact, I don't know anyone who believes that "humanity must try to understand the universe." Trying to understand how nature works has an obvious evolutionary survival value, in that people who don't understand ...[text shortened]... mething. It's rather like breathing: my believing I'm breathing adds nothing to my breathing.
    But believing your life has value and believing it should continue may increase the likelihood that you get to reproductive age so that you DO in fact pass on your genes. Whether you believe this "Because God" or "Just Because" makes little difference. Not believing, though, may place you in evolutionary jeopardy.

Believing that you are breathing adds nothing to breathing, but believing that you should go ON breathing could be important.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 14:543 edits
    @spruce112358 said
    But believing your life has value and believing it should continue may increase the likelihood that you get to reproductive age so that you DO in fact pass on your genes. Whether you believe this "Because God" or "Just Because" makes little difference. Not believing, though, may place you in evolutionary jeopardy.

Believing that you are breathing adds nothing to breathing, but believing that you should go ON breathing could be important.
    Scientists believe things, but that doesn’t mean that science is a kind of a religion. Science is about facts and how things work. Religion is about values and mankind’s wherefore.

Are you one of these people who think that science is just an alternative belief system with nobody in place of God?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree