1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:15
    "If when a man writes a poem or commits a murder, the bodily movements involved in his act result solely from physical causes, it would seem absurd to put up a statue to him in the one case and to hang him in the other" -- Bertrand Russell

Agree?
  2. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:16
    before you say it ..yes I mispselt bertrand
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:20
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    "If when a man writes a poem or commits a murder, the bodily movements involved in his act result solely from physical causes, it would seem absurd to put up a statue to him in the one case and to hang him in the other" -- Bertrand Russell

Agree?
    What poem was he talking about?
  4. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    27 May '07 20:50
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    What poem was he talking about?
    It must have been a bad one! LOL
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 May '07 20:53
    It must have been a bad one! LOL
    Probably something by Philip Larkin then.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 May '07 21:28
    The best thing to be said about Bertrand Russel is: "Why I'm not a Christian".

🙂

And hell, it pleasures me greatly.

Obviously followed by: "The conquest of happiness".
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 22:38
    I read the quote two ways. It could be suggesting that it's wrong to put a murderer for death in the absence of free will where all of our actions are determined by biochemical reactions to the stimuli of reality. Or it can be interpreted to suggest that a poem results from something that transcends the material reality which governs human existence.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '07 04:11
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I read the quote two ways. It could be suggesting that it's wrong to put a murderer for death in the absence of free will where all of our actions are determined by biochemical reactions to the stimuli of reality. Or it can be interpreted to suggest that a poem results from something that transcends the material reality which governs human existence.
    What he said.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 May '07 04:46

Agree?
    It seems absurd, but it still might be a good idea. See bbarr's response to your thread about the intelligent computer on trial.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 May '07 08:00

Agree?
    More murderers than statues have had poets put up them.

Dang.

More murdererers than poets have had statues put up to them.

Mr. Russell was an Egg Head.

You have to crack a lot of Heads to make an Omelette.

Consider switching to quiche.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 May '07 08:33
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    More murderers than statues have had poets put up them.

Dang.

More murdererers than poets have had statues put up to them.

Mr. Russell was an Egg Head.

You have to crack a lot of Heads to make an Omelette.

Consider switching to quiche.
    You sound like the SVW of yesterday...before he started making some sense.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 May '07 08:44

Agree?
    It may seem absurd if you don't understand why some people are hanged and why we put up statues.
    I doubt that either action has anything to do with weather we think that bodily movements were programmed or not.
    Keep in mind that rabid dogs get shot and pigeons can receive war medals. Although both are sentient beings, the actions in question are most definitely programmed.

Its interesting that at least 50% of the statues I have seen in my life are of people that I do not think deserved them. Remember that famous one of Saddam that made international news?
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    29 May '07 09:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It may seem absurd if you don't understand why some people are hanged and why we put up statues.
    I doubt that either action has anything to do with weather we think that bodily movements were programmed or not.
    Keep in mind that rabid dogs get shot and pigeons can receive war medals. Although both are sentient beings, the actions in question are most de ...[text shortened]... I do not think deserved them. Remember that famous one of Saddam that made international news?
    Statues are false idols and thou shalt not worship. Also, pigeons are not sentient, they are stupid as fish.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 May '07 16:17

Agree?
    Disagree. The physical causes of which BR spoke are the results of will. Just as the pieces of a chess game are moved according to the whims of the players, the physical realm is the board through which the game of life is displayed.
  15. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 15:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Keep in mind that rabid dogs get shot and pigeons can receive war medals. Although both are sentient beings, the actions in question are most de ...[text shortened]... I do not think deserved them. Remember that famous one of Saddam that made international news?
    So is that agree or disagree? I missed the bit where you answered the question.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree