1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 06:54
    FMF: If, say, you were to do what Bertrand Russell did, what would be the "disciplinary consequences" that you would not be able to escape?

Originally posted by @sonship
    Forget about imagining that the there is a shortage of practical wisdom in God's plan of salvation. Its not going to happen.
    So just to be clear, "the disciplinary consequences", even for someone who believes in Jesus, if they don't "confess" to getting divorced or marrying more than once, is "eternal torment", is that right? Without that 'confession', their belief in Jesus cannot "save" them, have I understood your "practical wisdom" correctly.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 06:59
    Anybody know why the logician Bertrand Russell, informing the world that God is not, had four wives ?

No emotional baggage? Only pure reason there ??
    Four seems quite conservative for a thinking man.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 11:42
    Tell you what. Let me hear the whole video and maybe we'll examine some of his points - why what seems a problem for Bertrand Russell is not a problem to me.
    Russel mentions no problems here. He is very articulate and conclusive in explaining his thoughts and ideas. He quite obviously has no difficulty (or "problems" ) examining the folly of religion.

Have you listened to his words yet?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Nov '17 15:22
    Fair question.

In the big question of God, Who is He, not only logical and philosophical smarts as Russell obviously had, should be considered. Faithfulness, moral power, integrity are important factors.

The " No evidence" argument is often the response of "I have not yet been forced by you to believe in God, whom I prefer to live WITHOUT. "
    When was the last time your god spoke to you in words you understood to be coming from a god?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '17 01:24
    David was forgiven for his adultery and murder.
    David did not escape the disciplinary [b]consequences
    for his sin.

All manner of sins can be forgiven, Bertrand Russell and everyone else who comes to Christ for forgiveness.[/b]
    What disciplinary consequences would have been visited upon the irreversible "saved" Bertrand Russell by Jesus if he had been a Christian and if he'd had the marital problems you mentioned?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Nov '17 21:17
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Russel mentions no problems here. He is very articulate and conclusive in explaining his thoughts and ideas. He quite obviously has no difficulty (or "problems" ) examining the folly of religion.

Have you listened to his words yet?
    No, I have not followed through yet.
    I got sidetracked.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Nov '17 23:53
    No, I have not followed through yet.
    I got sidetracked.
    I see.

Well if you did, you'd know he wasn't faced with any problems - certainly not problems that "were problems for him, but not for you".

He just eloquently explained why he was an atheist.

You should listen to it. And I mean really listen. So not as you so often do "pretend listen and then change whatever was said according to your own world view".

You have a lot to learn sonship. Isn't that a wonderful idea?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '17 00:131 edit
    The Psychology of Atheism - Paul C. Vitz, PhD (and a couple of interesting exceptions)

(former atheist for 20 years exploring psychological reasons which he says apply to both theists and atheists - underlying psychological reasons for theism or atheism.

YouTube
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Nov '17 04:22
    [b] The Psychology of Atheism - Paul C. Vitz, PhD (and a couple of interesting exceptions)

(former atheist for 20 years exploring psychological reasons which he says apply to both theists and atheists - underlying psychological reasons for theism or atheism.

[youtube]HCtOZ5ibL_g[/youtube][/b]
    How many are going to watch 50 minutes of a video that you have recommended?

Give us a précis or indicate the good bits.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '17 09:16
    [b] The Psychology of Atheism - Paul C. Vitz, PhD (and a couple of interesting exceptions)

[youtube]HCtOZ5ibL_g[/youtube][/b]
    Have you watched OP's video yet?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 09:334 edits
    Have you watched OP's video yet?
    Yes I have.
    Bertand Russell, Richard Feynman, Matt Dillihunty, Carl Sagan.
    Did I forget anyone?

The nice musical backround effectively added an emotional support to each little lecture.

Richard Feynman's talk I have heard before. For some reason I have sometimes felt his reasons for agnosticism less arrogant and for me at least, draws some more sympathy. Maybe it reminds me of my old thoughts.

Is there something specific in one or more of these talks you would like me to give my reaction to?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 09:39
    Yes I have.
    Bertand Russell, Richard Feynman, Matt Dillihunty, Carl Sagan.
    Did I forget anyone?

The nice musical backround effectively added an emotional support to each little lecture.

Richard Feynman's talk I have heard before. For some reason I have sometimes felt his reasons for agnosticism I found less arrogant and for me at least, draws so ...[text shortened]... there something specific in one or more of these talks you would like me to give my reaction to?
    No, you may do as you please.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 09:471 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    How many are going to watch 50 minutes of a video that you have recommended?

Give us a précis or indicate the good bits.
    His theory as a psychologist is about one's relationship with his father influences attitudes toward God's existence.

He says psychlogical reasons for belief or unbelief in God is a TWO WAY matter - not just applying to theists. Atheists also can carry psychological baggage influencing what they want to believe about God.

The examples he uses are "hard" atheists not less militant ones.
    At the end he speaks about exceptions to his theory.
    He also speaks of women atheists with, he feels, slightly different ways of dealing with their baggage.

He does say that negative feelings about one's father was justified in the cases of his theory.

I think it was worthwhlle to watch the whole talk.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 09:55
    No, you may do as you please.
    Each one of these men was quite intelligent.
    I admire Bertrand Russells work in mathematics and Feynman's work in physics.

They were or all all impressive thinkers.
    I remain more impressed though, with Jesus.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Nov '17 10:25
    Each one of these men was quite intelligent.
    I admire Bertrand Russells work in mathematics and Feynman's work in physics.

They were or all all impressive thinkers.
    I remain more impressed though, with Jesus.
    When I said "you may do as you please" I meant responding to the actual *content* of the 7 minute video 🙄

I assumed that went without saying. I assumed wrongly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree