Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
30 Nov 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
The misogynistic content of the three Abrahamics are pretty clear, a man worth 50 shekels, a woman 30.
Misogyny and sexism have been rampant in all walks of life since the dawn of mankind. Atheism doesn’t preclude sexist perspectives.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Nov 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
Atheism doesn’t preclude sexist perspectives.
Irrelevant.
Sonhouse was discussing Abrahamic religions. Not atheism.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
You can couch it in any terms you wish, it is still totally repugnant as a concept. It ensures those converted will never be able to think their way out of the scam of religion of the Abrahamics at least. Hindu's are not as pacific as they would like to be seen and obviously Islam came out of the gate 1400 years ago with an army conquering all who stood ...[text shortened]... owed atheist? I listened and enjoyed your music which I totally separate from the religious POV.
The misogynistic content of the three Abrahamics are pretty clear, a man worth 50 shekels, a woman 30.

If I recall rightly the shekel evaluation of the male and female had something to do with military matters. The male was reckoned of higher valuation for service in the fighting army.

In the OT many passages show god's protection and care for those customarily taken advantage of in those societies. Many passages concern care for the widow or the divorced woman. Many passage reveal God's concern for justice to the orphan, the , the widow, and others more vulnerable in those societies.

Many passages show divine protection to the oppressed and God championing the benefit of the relatively weaker and defenseless.

Exodus 22:22; Deut. 10:18; 14:19; 24:17, 19; etc. .