1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '15 22:17
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You didn't answer the question.
    It's already been answered, they didn't say anything that in any way categorically
    indicates that the camera is pressed against the window, and at points the camera
    is clearly changing distance from the window [which is not surprising given that
    they were floating in micro-gravity.

Also, I couldn't identify the object that partially blocked the view, it might not have
    been an arm at all, it could have been something floating in the cabin...

There are lots of potential explanations, and I could spend ages listing them all.

But there is no need, the point is we have mountains of evidence that they went to the
    moon and this does nothing to detract from that.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 01:52
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Because most days [100's of times a year] since the relevant Apollo Mission people
    have been bouncing laser beams off of the retro-reflectors to determine the distance to
    the moon.

This can be done by anyone [any nation] with a decent sized telescope and a laser.

You fire a laser at a random spot on the moon and you get no reflection, you fire ...[text shortened]... ses.

It's not possible with current technology to fake this, let alone back in the 60's/70's.
    I accept it by faith for I don't really know. 😏
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 03:201 edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xStEQK2-xlY

Although I don't subscribe to everything within the video, some of the points are irrefutable.
    Specifically, if the window is filled with an image of the earth from 130,000 miles out, how does the arm of one of the astronauts show up in the shot?
    That is just so much BS. The camera was only about 4 inches wide. We saw the thing recently. It was probably not right against the window but a few inches away. You will notice the arm was totally out of focus which is what happens if you get something that close to the camera. The timing and tracking modules were getting the distance, that was my job. The tracking module is a digital signal, very complex, that is transmitted to the Apollo and a transducer on the Apollo re-transmits that signal back to Earth. The return signal is compared to the outgoing signal and there is only one distance that it can be at that shows that distance.
    The unmodified equipment got the distance to the Apollo within 50 feet. The engineers told me the distance could have been within 6 inches if some more advanced analysis was used but it was deemed not needed, 50 feet was plenty accurate enough.

That data comes through from one site like Goldstone in the desert (I was subsequently offered a job there, post Apollo. It was sad to see where the equipment had been removed, my equipment, timing and tracking) then switching to another dish when the Earth spins out of line of site of the one dish and then a digital hand off to the next dish which could be 6000 miles away, we had to get that handoff within 100 nanoseconds, 1/10th of a microsecond and we did, due to the timing part, the three atomic clocks, well 2 atomic clocks, the master, a Cesium beam clock, a secondary, a Rubidium beam clock and a third one which was not atomic but the very best quartz crystal clock that could be made in the 1960's, very well temperature compensated and so forth, nowhere as accurate as the atomic beam clocks but good enough for dish to dish hand off's)

Anyway, the hand off's went perfectly but when the Apollo landed and those famous words were spoken, there was a dish in Australia that had the job of getting that image and audio and telemetry to the world, it almost didn't because of high winds, it was just about 5 minutes before landing that the handoff took place, otherwise there would have been no video. There was no way anyone could fake that distance signal, it was all automatic and checkable in real time. THAT WAS MY JOB. You can kiss my asss if you think that was faked.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 08:46
    How many retroflectors are on the moon?
    To whom do they belong?
    there are 5 that i am aware of, 3 large american and 2 small russian.

the 3 american (nasa) llr's were put there during manned apollo missions. the 2 russian were put there during unmanned missions.

most of them still work today, especially the larger american models. countries all around the world have been bouncing laser beams off them since the apollo missions.

how do you explain their existence?
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 10:27
    Best reply to an atheist:
    Without apriori reasoning, you can't assume that your observations are observations or yours at all.
    And since anything you now think is nothing more than an assumption which you can't sustain without apriori reasoning, you can only except the existence of God, because without proof, your existence is just as dubious.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 11:21
    First Moon Landing 1969

YouTube
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 15:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    First Moon Landing 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4
    I'm glad you believe in the moon landing. Perhaps there is hope for you after all.

Come over to the dark side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father...
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 21:28
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    there are 5 that i am aware of, 3 large american and 2 small russian.

the 3 american (nasa) llr's were put there during manned apollo missions. the 2 russian were put there during unmanned missions.

most of them still work today, especially the larger american models. countries all around the world have been bouncing laser beams off them since the apollo missions.

how do you explain their existence?
    So, if I read you right, you're acknowledging there are retroflectors on the moon which were established without the need of manned landings?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 21:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is just so much BS. The camera was only about 4 inches wide. We saw the thing recently. It was probably not right against the window but a few inches away. You will notice the arm was totally out of focus which is what happens if you get something that close to the camera. The timing and tracking modules were getting the distance, that was my job. The ...[text shortened]... c and checkable in real time. THAT WAS MY JOB. You can kiss my asss if you think that was faked.
    Weren't there reports of an errant Coke bottle in the earliest transmissions viewed by the Australians?

I appreciate your invite to rub my lips on your glutes, but I am going to pass at this time.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '15 22:241 edit
    So, if I read you right, you're acknowledging there are retroflectors on the moon which were established without the need of manned landings?
    yep......so inturn, you accept that there were unmanned missions that landed on the moon, around the same time as the apollo missions?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 05:521 edit
    As always xkcd puts it best:
    http://xkcd.com/1074/

Why no fake Mars landing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree