1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 22:40
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    See I have absolutely no belief whatsoever that you do understand my position at all.

And I'm confident you will soon prove me right by making another post in which you
    superimpose your strawman view of how I think onto me.

Perhaps if you spent less time trying to convert us and more time trying to understand
    us you would have better luck commu ...[text shortened]... e I last made a chess move have on
    whether or not I spend time posting on a forum of any kind?
    No need to become defensive. The question's purely one of curiosity: Why would an RHP Member who is an affirmed atheist become a member of an online correspondence chess site for the sole purpose of posting on an online spirituality forum?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 22:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    No need to become defensive. The question's purely one of curiosity: Why would an RHP Member who is an affirmed atheist become a member of an online correspondence chess site for the sole purpose of posting on an online spirituality forum?
    I didn't.

I joined years ago to play chess.

I would like to continue to play chess if I can ever get the time reliably
    together for my very slow style of play.

I also happen to enjoy talking on these forums.
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:14
    Response to all the atheists on this forum.

God is neither unhappy or disturbed at your decisions. Whether you realize it or not you have been graced out by receiving this many opportunities to hear the truth about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the possibility of your salvation. In one moment of time you can change your eternal future. Consider the options. Heaven or hell it's your choice. John 3: 16
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:20
    Heaven or hell it's your choice.

No, it isn't.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:23
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    [b]"Hi GB, I have two questions (and I've had them for many years) which you may be able to shed some light on:

1) what is a soul?

2) what does "opening your mind" mean? Especially with regard to believing in god and such.

Hope you can answer. I may have some follow up questions."
    ___________________ ...[text shortened]... u the visible body* to reside at one of two addresses for eternity. 2) Reply later this evening.
    What's the current role of my soul, GB? What does it do?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:25
    I didn't.

I didn't.

Thank you, googlefudge, for our sustained conversation. I realize the opportunity to provide information is now past.
    How about an unrated relaxed small talk conversational chess game with a 21 Day Timeout and a 28 Day Time Bank?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:27
    Actually, I hadn't responded to your action of copying a dictionary entry yet, so I'll do that before question 2.

Meanwhile, if you'd like to see what question 2 was, you can find it on the previous page. If you respond to that, please include the question in the reply. You can do that by copying my question and put it between [quote] and [/quote*] (minus the *).

Good luck!

Which first?
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:57
    Oh, I'm still not even close to understanding what is meant by "the soul", so let's stick to that one.

"Open mind" will come later.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '14 00:16
    Oh, I'm still not even close to understanding what is meant by "the soul", so let's stick to that one.

"Hi GB, I have two questions (and I've had them for many years) which you may be able to shed some light on:

1) what is a soul?

2) what does "opening your mind" mean? Especially with regard to believing in god and such.

Hope you can answer. I may have some follow up questions."

"Soul:
    [sohl] noun

1. the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.

2. the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come: arguing the immortality of the soul.

3. the disembodied spirit of a deceased person: He feared the soul of the deceased would haunt him.

4. the emotional part of human nature; the seat of the feelings or sentiments.

5. a human being; person.

Origin: before 900; Middle English; Old English; cognate with Dutch ziel, German Seele, Old Norse; Gothic saiwala

Synonyms: spirit. heart. essence, core, heart."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/soul

Note: Strip away the Red Hot Pawn Nickname "Great King Rat"; the clothing and footwear on your body: what remains is the immaterial soul of a unique human being: YOU. The moment of cessation of brain function (not heart) occurs, *you the invisible soul* will depart *you the visible body* to reside at one of two addresses for eternity. 2) Reply later this evening.

Ok.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jan '14 05:451 edit

Note: 1) "Strip away the Red Hot Pawn Nickname "Great King Rat"; the clothing and footwear on your body: what remains is the immaterial soul of a unique human being: YOU. The moment of cessation of brain function (not heart) occurs, *you the invisible soul* will depart *you the visible body* to reside at one of two addresses for eternity." (Page 2)

God imputes an immaterial soul to each viable fetus at the moment of birth; that soul is you. 2) An open mind refers to objectivity and intellectual honesty. The assumption that God exists is the foundation of this conversation. Whether or not you think God exists matters less at the moment than maintaining logical and clear thought. If you say, "There is no God," you're being arbitrary and foolish. Psalm 53:1-2 "The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God,” They are corrupt, and have committed abominable injustice; There is no one who does good. 2 God has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men To see if there is anyone who understands, Who seeks after God." A logical statement might be, "On the basis of empiricism or rationalism, God does not exist in my view". Learning in any realm involves unlearning which is painful.
  11. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 05:081 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    When some of the following have been demonstrated to actually exist:

'Grace' (whatever that is)
    ... --- Penguin
    You don't know what Grace is?

An example - remember Pope John Paul II.?
    1981, he was shot, at a public appearance in Rome.
    But he visited his assassin Agca in prison, and he forgave him. Also, Agca was pardoned, on request of Pope John Paul II.

Agca was forgiven and pardoned by Grace. He didn't deserve it.

Could YOU? Forgive your assassin?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 15:51
    Originally posted by Flower04

But he visited his assassin Agca in prison, and he forgave him. Also, Agca was pardoned, on request of Pope John Paul II.

No, and why the hell would I want to?
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 16:402 edits

Well that doesn't really match with your own definition:

late 12c., "God's favor or help," from Old French grace "pardon, divine grace, mercy; favor, thanks; elegance, virtue" (12c.), from Latin gratia "favor, esteem, regard; pleasing quality, good will, gratitude" (source of Italian grazia, Spanish gracia), from gratus "pleasing, agreeable," from PIE root *gwere- "to favor" (cf. Sanskrit grnati "sings, praises, announces," Lithuanian giriu "to praise, celebrate," Avestan gar- "to praise" ).

God's favour? Not really, the Pope forgave him, not God. Admirable but he is not the only person do ever do this, an not all of those who do are Catholic, or even Christian.
    God's help? Nope. The Pope requested he get a pardon. Again, no sign of a deity here.
    God's pardon? Not really, again it was the Pope.
    etc.

Forgiving your attacker is difficult to do, but on the other hand, it was far better for the Pope's image to forgive than to let him languish.

An admirable act of forgiveness on the part of the Pope, but by no means unique and not evidence of anything at all supernatural.

And not really that consistent with your definition of 'Grace' above. I think maybe you don't know yourself what you mean by it.

Penguin
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 00:09
    ... remember Pope John Paul II.?
    ... he visited his assassin Agca in prison, and he forgave him.
    Agca was pardoned, on request of Pope John Paul II.
    Agca was forgiven and pardoned by Grace.
    Pope John Paul II was Grace?

Was that a stage name?
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 03:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Pope John Paul II was Grace?

Was that a stage name?
    https://twitter.com/Gracepope16

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree