1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 15:56
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    WTF???

I truly do not get that.

Does anyone around here think there is a great number of posters (or any) who
    are afraid to give their opinions, and stand by them?

If someone posts something I think is bad/wrong/stupid ect and someone else
    has already posted a salient take down to which I have nothing to add, would you
    rather I (or anyon ...[text shortened]... ou think I am afraid to stand by my opinions, and I don't see anyone
    else holding back either.
    I was being facetious. Grampy is the one (the only one I know of) who espouses that opinion.
  2. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 16:23
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I was being facetious. Grampy is the one (the only one I know of) who espouses that opinion.
    I think you need to make that a bit clearer in your post then, otherwise you will end up being lumped in with GB and nobody wants that.

Personally, if the thumbs up/down was enhanced so it showed a list of all the people who had clicked it to agree / disagree with the post, I would still be quite happy to use it.

I generally use it to say either I agree/disagree with the content or I appreciate/bemoan the clarity and thoughtfulness of the writing. Usually both. Its just that I have nothing further to add to the conversation and don't want to clutter up the thread.

Penguin
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 16:45
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Ahh. Ok then.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 20:501 edit
    Question Finally Answered

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth,
    is to shut it again on something solid." -G. K. Chesterton

Neither the human body nor rational mind or eternal soul was designed to function without the intake and assimilation of nutritious life supporting food. An empty stomach or mind or soul resorts to compensatory behaviour: a steady diet of junk food or falsehoods or bad decisions from a position of weakness results in dysfunctional behaviour of the worst kind; fasting indefinitely eventuates in serious illness or intellectual suicide or blackout of the scar tissued soul.

Little wonder that the presence of people face to face or online who have "put their faith" in the Son of God [the Risen and Ascended Christ Jesus] in the periphery of the malnourished and starving triggers deeply rooted resentment and anger. Subliminally they must somehow realize that these people also once had their mouths open but have now closed them on solid food. That unspoken awareness apparently makes all the "possible difference" in the world.

Yes, I have compassion for the eternal destiny of the souls of my acquaintances and friends on Red Hot Pawn. Yet since their loneliness and misery is self induced, my only options are to provide accurate information when given opportunity and to pray frequently for them by nickname or name. The prayer is always that they may awaken while there is still time.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." "There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'" "God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing." (Quotes by C.S. Lewis, an avowed atheist before awakening)
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 21:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Question Finally Answered

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth,

Neither the human body nor rational mind ...[text shortened]... s not there. There is no such thing." (Quotes by C.S. Lewis, an avowed atheist before awakening)[/b]
    The loneliness and misery of atheists is entirely and completely in your head.

And bares no resemblance to reality.

Keep your smug pity to yourself oh ignorant one.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 07:21

May I ask what daily "reality" is to an "atheist?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 10:18
    [b]The loneliness and misery of atheists is entirely and completely in your head.

May I ask what daily "reality" is to an "atheist?[/b]
    What's daily reality like for a theist?

It's going to depend on the theist.

My point was that atheists do not [in general as ever] go around
    missing believing in gods, or feel lacking in that regard.

If an atheist is feeling lonely its because they are missing contact with people,
    not gods.

If an atheist is miserable it's because of regular Earthly reasons for being miserable,
    and not because they are missing out on believing in gods.

We have no 'god shaped hole in our hearts'.

We don't believe in gods because there is no evidence or reason to suppose they exist.

That doesn't make us miserable, or lonely, or feel like we are missing out, or inferior,
    or whatever else you believe it makes us feel.

The only reason [in general] to spend time thinking about the issue at all is because
    we have to deal with people who believe in gods, and all that entails.

In my case, I have yet to be shown ANY evidence or ANY argument that gives me
    even the slightest reason to question my lack of belief in gods.

Every argument or 'evidence' I have EVER seen has only strengthened my conviction
    that gods don't exist and shouldn't be believed in.

Including everything you have said on the subject... So if you really genuinely want
    people to believe in your god you might consider not making every argument you have
    ever made on this site because in my case at least they have had the exact opposite
    effect than the one you were hoping for.

I am completely secure and happy with my position BECAUSE I have looked at all the evidence
    and arguments presented with an open mind Before coming to the position I now have.
    And I continue to seek out arguments or evidence that challenge my beliefs [or lack thereof]
    and have yet to find any that do anything but strengthen my lack of belief in gods.

And while there are atheists who were once theists who, because they have had a fear of
    hell hammered into them, [for example] still have a fear of going to hell even after they stop
    believing in the god in question. There are support groups that help them get over those
    irrational fears, and join the rest of us atheists in having happy healthy god free lives.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 10:51
    What's daily reality like for a theist?

It's going to depend on the theist.

My point was that atheists do not [in general as ever] go around
    missing believing in gods, or feel lacking in that regard.

If an atheist is feeling lonely its because they are missing contact with people,
    not gods.

If an atheist is miserable it's because of ...[text shortened]... ose
    irrational fears, and join the rest of us atheists in having happy healthy god free lives.
    Well, that's quite a thorough impromptu presentation of your personal rationale which would appear to have been held for many years if not decades. Only way I know how to eat an elephant is to cut it in small pieces suitable for mastication first.

1) Soul: if I agreed with T.S. Eliot's summation of human life ["Birth; Copulation; and Death"] I'd be given to believe that body and mind was the real 'me' and that the likelihood of life after death was nil. Question: As a small boy, didn't you ever wonder if there was someone bigger or stronger than your father or an uncle up in the clouds, in the forests or in the sea?

Note: Way after bedtime GMT-6. Hope to return much later today. Thanks for the casual conversation. Bob
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 16:09
    googlefudge, shall we forget the conversation or continue?
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 16:202 edits
    [b]Question Finally Answered

Neither the human body nor rational mind ...[text shortened]... s not there. There is no such thing." (Quotes by C.S. Lewis, an avowed atheist before awakening)[/b]
    Hi GB, I have two questions (and I've had them for many years) which you may be able to shed some light on:

1) what is a soul?

2) what does "opening your mind" mean? Especially with regard to believing in god and such.

Hope you can answer. I may have some follow up questions.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 16:43
    Well, that's quite a thorough impromptu presentation of your personal rationale which would appear to have been held for many years if not decades. Only way I know how to eat an elephant is to cut it in small pieces suitable for mastication first.

1) Soul: if I agreed with T.S. Eliot's summation of human life ["Birth; Copulation; and Death"] I'd be ...[text shortened]... ay after bedtime GMT-6. Hope to return much later today. Thanks for the casual conversation. Bob
    Question: As a small boy, didn't you ever wonder if there was someone bigger or
    stronger than your father or an uncle up in the clouds, in the forests or in the sea?

No. Reveal Hidden Content
    [genuinely and absolutely no. With the usual caveat that I cannot remember my entire childhood. So I have to concede the possibility that I have thought such things at times I don't remember... However I really rather doubt that i have ever thought that.]

However, so what if I had?

I can and do imagine all kinds of things, I happily have an active imagination which
    enables me to think up all kinds of fantastical things in great detail.
    In my down time I can happily explore (and design) cities and worlds filled with beings
    and creatures from fiction and my own imaginings.

None of that in any way means that those things I imagine are real, or are even possible.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:33
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Hi GB, I have two questions (and I've had them for many years) which you may be able to shed some light on:

1) what is a soul?

2) what does "opening your mind" mean? Especially with regard to believing in god and such.

Hope you can answer. I may have some follow up questions.
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    "Hi GB, I have two questions (and I've had them for many years) which you may be able to shed some light on:

1) what is a soul?

Hope you can answer. I may have some follow up questions."

"Soul:
    [sohl] noun

1. the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.

2. the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come: arguing the immortality of the soul.

3. the disembodied spirit of a deceased person: He feared the soul of the deceased would haunt him.

4. the emotional part of human nature; the seat of the feelings or sentiments.

5. a human being; person.

Origin: before 900; Middle English; Old English; cognate with Dutch ziel, German Seele, Old Norse; Gothic saiwala

Synonyms: spirit. heart. essence, core, heart."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/soul

Note: Strip away the Red Hot Pawn Nickname "Great King Rat"; the clothing and footwear on your body: what remains is the immaterial soul of a unique human being: YOU. The moment of cessation of brain function (not heart) occurs, *you the invisible soul* will depart *you the visible body* to reside at one of two addresses for eternity. 2) Reply later this evening.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:34
    Question: As a small boy, didn't you ever wonder if there was someone bigger or
    stronger than your father or an uncle up in the clouds, in the forests or in the sea?

No. [hidden] [genuinely and absolutely no. [i]With the usual caveat that I cannot remember my entire childhood. So I have to concede the possibility that I have thought s ...[text shortened]... gs.

None of that in any way means that those things I imagine are real, or are even possible.
    Thanks.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:39
    Thanks.
    You really don't do any GIVE in the give and take required for a conversation do you.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:301 edit
    You really don't do any GIVE in the give and take required for a conversation do you.
    Your closed ended negatory reply effectively precluded further travel on the googlefudge exit of the Conversational Interstate. Let's try again. As a curious child bent on learning and discovery, did you ever have a fleeting speculation or daydream or musing that there might be a big and strong giant who was bigger and stronger than any male member of your family or did you assume the male members of your family were the biggest and strongest beings in the universe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree