1. Brisbane, Australia
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 08:54
    Hmm...now, I believe in Science. That's the way I am. I believe in evolution.

Now, Science has proved to me, and thousands of other people, that the species of dinosauria has existed. They died out, but they were here. Relation to Spirituallity - where are the dinosaurs in the Bible?
  2. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 08:57
    Originally posted by D43M0N
    Hmm...now, I believe in Science. That's the way I am. I believe in evolution.

Now, Science has proved to me, and thousands of other people, that the species of dinosauria has existed. They died out, but they were here. Relation to Spirituallity - where are the dinosaurs in the Bible?
    Why should dinosaurs be in the Bible? The Bible is intended to provide spiritual guidance (even if you don't believe it's Inspired); not act as the Encyclopaedia Britannica.
  3. NY
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 08:581 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Why should dinosaurs be in the Bible? The Bible is intended to provide spiritual guidance (even if you don't believe it's Inspired); not act as the Encyclopaedia Britannica.
    but youd think some thing that ruled the earth for thousands of times more years than humanity has existed should get honorable mention.. what did they do wrong that "god" saw fit to smite there entire species.. hmm... oh them must have ben lords of sin huh..lol
  4. Brisbane, Australia
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:02
    It is supposed to document life from the very begninning, when God (presumably) made the whole world. As xXxenphobe said, surely it should have some mention of a species that was around for thousands and thousands of years?
  5. NY
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:07
    It is supposed to document life from the very begninning, when God (presumably) made the whole world. As xXxenphobe said, surely it should have some mention of a species that was around for thousands and thousands of years?
    millions.....
  6. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:12
    Not really. This can be debated, but IMO Genesis is intended to demonstrate the moral position of man relative to other creatures and the world; not provide a paleontological history of the Earth. So I see no reason why dinosaurs or rats or spiders or oak trees should be mentioned.
  7. Brisbane, Australia
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:13
    Not really. This can be debated, but IMO Genesis is intended to demonstrate the moral position of man relative to other creatures and the world; not provide a paleontological history of the Earth. So I see no reason why dinosaurs or rats or spiders or oak trees should be mentioned.
    Every other animal is mentioned (exception of the Cat, because the eeeeeeevil Egyptians held them as false gods), so why not the first true animals?
  8. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:191 edit
    Every other animal is mentioned (exception of the Cat, because the eeeeeeevil Egyptians held them as false gods), so why not the first true animals?
    What every other animal? Maybe a handful of animals are mentioned in Genesis.

In any case, dinosaurs were not the first true animals. ๐Ÿ˜€

EDIT: But seriously, why would the Bible not mentioning dinosaurs be significant?
  9. Brisbane, Australia
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:25

EDIT: But seriously, why would the Bible not mentioning dinosaurs be significant?
    It isn't. It is a trivial point that will illustrate, if proven, that theology is totally insignificant to science. Nothing major.
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:30
    it mention dragons and -erm- something else somewhere. i forget where and how it mention them, but it does!
  11. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:32

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know much about the actual stories in the Bible, but....

Doesn't Genesis basically go along the lines of "And ye God created the Earth for man, and then Adam and Eve, Kain and Abel, etc..." Which means man was about at the creation of the earth. So in theory, if theory the couple of million years the dinosaurs were about were after that. Therefore, we must have lived in harmony with them. I'd be suprised that there was nothing even vaguely moral or important happened to man involving the dinosaurs during those few million years.... must have been a pretty dull couple of ice ages!
  12. Brisbane, Australia
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:35
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know much about the actual stories in the Bible, but....

Doesn't Genesis basically go along the lines of "And ye God created the Earth for man, and then Adam and Eve, Kain and Abel, etc..." Which means man was about at the creation of the earth. So in theory, if theory the couple of million years the dinosaurs we ...[text shortened]... he dinosaurs during those few million years.... must have been a pretty dull couple of ice ages!
    So, what you're saying is, that after Adam and Eve were around, dinosaurs were created and lived in peace? Surely they would have been mentioned if that truly happened.
  13. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:45

Doesn't Genesis basically go along the lines of "And ye God created the Earth for man, and then Adam and Eve, Kain and Abel, etc..." Which means man was about at the creation of the earth. So in theory, if theory the couple of million years the dinosaurs we ...[text shortened]... he dinosaurs during those few million years.... must have been a pretty dull couple of ice ages!
    More than a few million years. Dinosaurs are estimated to have existed for over 125 million years, from about 190 million BC to 65 million BC.

Best estimates for the ago of the human species is about 5 million years; "homo sapiens sapiens", current Man, is about 100,000 years old on the evolutionary record. This means that the dinosaurs existed for over 1,000 times longer than modern Man.

Put comparatively on a 24 hour clock, dinosaurs get roughly 23 hours and 59 minutes of existence, Man gets 1 minute.

Seen from the large-scale historical perspective, Man's time on Earth is negligible, tiny blip on the radar. Earth has been a dinosaur planet, essentially. Prior to that, a planet for simple organisms.
  14. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:46
    It isn't. It is a trivial point that will illustrate, if proven, that theology is totally insignificant to science. Nothing major.
    If you're talking purely about the investigation of natural laws and phenomena, then you'd be correct.

If you're talking about applied science, however, you'd be wrong. Science, as a method, cannot make moral judgments on matters such as human experimentation (remember the Nazi doctors?), war (cue: the Bomb) etc. You need an independent moral system for that; moral theology offers the solution.
  15. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 09:48

Unless I'm mistaken, Genesis does not say that the Earth was created for man, but that man was given authority over it. Subtle difference.

Second, even Genesis says that man came around only on the 6th day. Reading it figuratively, it corroborates the point that man was one of the most recent additions to creation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree