Bible on Vegetarianism

Bible on Vegetarianism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11
1 edit

(1 Corinthians 8:13) . . .Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
(1 Corinthians 8:13) . . .Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, [b]I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble.[/b]
This seems to be a conditional endorsement. "IF" food makes my brother stumble....

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by rwingett
This seems to be a conditional endorsement. "IF" food makes my brother stumble....
yes it is, a Christian must take the consciences of others into consideration.

Moves
05 Feb 11
1 edit

(1 Corinthians 8:13) . . .Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, [b]I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble.[/b]
This text is teaching about christian liberty from the OT law and is referring to other christians (not unbelivers) with a weaker conscience who feel unable to eat food sacrificed to idols for example. Another everyday example could be alcohol.

The Bible nowhere teaches that vegetarianism should be adhered to, that is error.

r

Moves
05 Feb 11

when a verse is plucked out of the bible as this one has been ,isolated from the preceeding text one could on face value accept that we are not to eat meat, anyone interested to look further starting at the beginniing of ch 8 you may arrive at a more palatabile evening

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by divegeester
This text is teaching about christian liberty from the OT law and is referring to other christians (not unbelivers) with a weaker conscience who feel unable to eat food sacrificed to idols for example. Another everyday example could be alcohol.

[b]The Bible nowhere teaches that vegetarianism should be adhered to, that is error.
[/b]
but what if our brother is a vegetarian and eating meat seriously offends him, to the point where he wants to leave Christianity and take up with Vishy?

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by regos
when a verse is plucked out of the bible as this one has been ,isolated from the preceeding text one could on face value accept that we are not to eat meat, anyone interested to look further starting at the beginniing of ch 8 you may arrive at a more palatabile evening
gulp, busted again! However the principle remains, we are not at liberty to do what we like, we must take the consciences of others into consideration, even in something as mundane as eating certain foods.

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11
1 edit

The crux of the matter is this,

were Adam and Eve vegetarians? yes,

Are animals and Humans going to be at one again, yes!

Can we be one if were are chasing them around to eat, No!

Will paradise be restored, yes!

Will we be vegetarians again as in the beginning, yes!

D

St. Peter's

Moves
05 Feb 11

but what if our brother is a vegetarian and eating meat seriously offends him, to the point where he wants to leave Christianity and take up with Vishy?
Robbie this is a dishonest question, the verse taken in context does not imply that at all. Paul is talking about food that has been sacrificed to pagan idols. It was the custom for people to buy meat offered to gods at temples. Paul says that it is simply meat, and if understood correctly that way then its fine to eat it. However if some in your congregation have difficulty sorting this idea out, then one should not offer or partake in order to assist them in their faith journey.

Moves
05 Feb 11
1 edit

This comes down to truth and grace over law and self effort. We should be careful not to dissect God's truth to suit our own preconcieved beliefs but look holistically at what is written and in the micro and macro contexts.

From 1 Cor 10:

23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. 24Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth. 25Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: 26For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. 27If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake. 28But if any man say unto you, this is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof: 29Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience? 30For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

Vegetarianism is not a route to righteousness nor godliness - those who purport it to be so are in error (according to scripture, not my opinion), irrespective of what Adam and Eve ate.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Feb 11

Apparently Christian vegetarianism has some pretty strong backing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism

Moves
05 Feb 11

Apparently Christian vegetarianism has some pretty strong backing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism
What 'strong backing' are you refering to exactly?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by divegeester
What 'strong backing' are you refering to exactly?
You can read as well as I can. There are numerous passages that can be interpreted as being pro-vegetarian (although you could pick any position under the sun and find several passages that seem to support it). There have been no shortage of Christian vegetarian individuals or groups throughout history. And some of the earliest Christian sects seem to have been vegetarian.

Moves
05 Feb 11

You can read as well as I can. There are numerous passages that can be interpreted as being pro-vegetarian (although you could pick any position under the sun and find several passages that seem to support it). There have been no shortage of Christian vegetarian individuals or groups throughout history. And some of the earliest Christian sects seem to have been vegetarian.
I did read it but didn't see any strong evidence, just circumstancial comment and ithe page opening by noting christian vegies as being a minor group.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
05 Feb 11

It goes beyond just foods. If you smoke you shouldn't smoke around christians who are yuong in the faith and are trying to quit smoking as an example.