1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 12:13
    so you would rather lock some kid up in solatory than let him live a full and wholesome life? what if he was, at this stage, just a petty thief? a pick pocket or a shop lifter? not a danger to the general public, but a criminal none the less?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 12:37
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Okay, so "In God We Trust" and "one nation under God" are somewhere else then. My comment was about the disparity in general.
    "In god we trust" didn't start appearing on U.S. coinage until the Civil War. It didn't appear on the currency until the Eisenhower administration. Neither of them should be there as they're clearly unconstitutional endorsements of god, exactly the type of thing the founding fathers had tried to avoid.

"One nation under god" was not included in the original version of the pledge, which, interestingly enough, was written by a baptist minister. It was inserted, once again, during the Eisenhower administration in response to McCarthy's anti-communist hysteria.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 21:22
    Originally posted by genius
    so you would rather lock some kid up in solatory than let him live a full and wholesome life? what if he was, at this stage, just a petty thief? a pick pocket or a shop lifter? not a danger to the general public, but a criminal none the less?
    Who said anything about a full and wholesome life? Nobody mentioned what kind of offender the person was either. I told you that the question was unrealistic. What if the lie was that we were going to torture his wife and kids unless he stopped his crimes? You want to lie to people about that?
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 03:371 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    "In god we trust" didn't start appearing on U.S. coinage until the Civil War. It didn't appear on the currency until the Eisenhower administration. Neither of them should be there as they're clearly unconstitutional endorsements of god, exactly the type of thing the founding fathers had tried to avoid.

"One nation under god" was not included in the origi ...[text shortened]... during the Eisenhower administration in response to McCarthy's anti-communist hysteria.
    In that case, I'm quite surprised they haven't been challenged in court. Or have they?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 08:311 edit
    In that case, I'm quite surprised they haven't been challenged in court. Or have they?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aronow_v._United_States
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 09:06
    Originally posted by genius
    also, who would find this matter important enough to bring it to court? in one prison, what are they paying for? maybe a few leaflets? a few bibles? with an initial cost of £50 and maybe £50 a year thereafter? that's not a lot. and they could cut down on that if they tried. gideons bibles? writing their own notes? that's not a major dig into prison funds! and ...[text shortened]... haps start to wonder about the error of their ways. that's £50 p/a well spent, if you ask me!
    Would you therefore not object to all other religions recieving similar tax payer funding in prisons? And its my belief that if they were converted to Islaam they would be less likely to reoffend than if converted to Christianity so maybe that would be a better way to spend the money.
    And if its a question of funding education then surely you should teach the prisoners the truth (That there is no God).
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 12:17
    Michael Newdow challenged the pledge all the way up to the Supreme Court. It was a very well argued case, but the Court waffled and dismissed it on a technicality.
  8. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    05 Jun '06 12:222 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Who said anything about a full and wholesome life? Nobody mentioned what kind of offender the person was either. I told you that the question was unrealistic. What if the lie was that we were going to torture his wife and kids unless he stopped his crimes? You want to lie to people about that?
    full and wholesome compared to being in prison for the rest of your life. and it was a hypothetical situation, so i meerly added other constraints to this criminal which i could as he, well, doesn't exist.

and crisitianity is not a nasty lie to tell, unlike threatening his wife and kids.

Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would you therefore not object to all other religions recieving similar tax payer funding in prisons? And its my belief that if they were converted to Islaam they would be less likely to reoffend than if converted to Christianity so maybe that would be a better way to spend the money.
    And if its a question of funding education then surely you should teach the prisoners the truth (That there is no God).

no, i would have no problem with this. although what makes you say that islam is more peaceful than christainity? considering Jesus's main message was Love...(i'm assuming we're talking biblical christianity, where everyone shall know you follow Jesus by the fact that you love others, and the Islam which doesn't condone mass murder.)

and you cannot prove there is no God, but that is not what we are discussing here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree