Bible Quiz 2

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 14 Nov '05 23:31
  1. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 10:101 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Alright...here is my point. Since the word Testament means covenant...when did the new covenant begin?
    I contend that to be more consistant with the flow of biblical events that it began in Acts Chapter 2.
    This would place the gospels in the OT.
    No one could obtain the "new birth" that is, receive holy spirit within, until Acts 2.

Luke 24:44-49
    ...[text shortened]... am dreams.
    (NKJ)

This is when the new covenent began....This is when Christ's Church began.
    Er ... aren't you forgetting something?

Matthew 26:28
    This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Mark 14:24
    "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.

Luke 22:20
    In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Seems to me that the New Covenant was made well before Acts 2. 🙂

Cheers,

LH
  2. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 10:34
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

This is my blood of the [b]covenant
    , which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This ...[text shortened]... u.

Cheers,

LH[/b]
    Time is very interesting!
  3. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 10:52
    Alright...here is my point. Since the word Testament means covenant...when did the new covenant begin?
    I hate to be picky, but outside of Christianity, no one considers "testament" and "covenant" to be synonymous.
    Covenant means "sealed promise or contract."
    Testament means "witness or proof [of something]."
    These are notably different ideas.
    When you testify, you aren't creating a new covenant. You are, however, creating a testament.
  4. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 11:04
    Originally posted by echecero
    I hate to be picky, but outside of Christianity, no one considers "testament" and "covenant" to be synonymous.
    When you testify, you aren't creating a new covenant. You are, however, creating a testament.
    This is an interesting topic in its own right:

testament
    c.1290, "last will disposing of property," from L. testamentum "a will, publication of a will," from testari "make a will, be witness to," from testis "witness," from PIE *tris- "three," on the notion of "third person, disinterested witness." Use in reference to the two divisions of the Bible (c.1300) is from L.L. vetus testamentum and novum testamentum, loan-translations of Gk. palaia diatheke and kaine diatheke. L.L. testamentum in this case was a mistranslation of Gk. diatheke, which meant both "covenant, dispensation" and "will, testament," and was used in the former sense in the account of the Last Supper (see testimony) but subsequently was interpreted as Christ's "last will." *

An interesting essay on the history and usage of diatheke in the covenantal vs. testamental senses can be read here:

http://www.redeemerlutheranchurch.org/diatheke.htm

---
    * http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=testament
  5. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 11:09
    Originally posted by echecero
    I just checked mine and testament=a will;written statement of one's beliefs etc;COVENANT,dispensation;division of the Bible.Other way is different but this is good enough 4 me.
  6. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 21:46
    In your estimation are the four gospels part of the New or Old Testament?
    The four gospels are linked to the Old Testament through the predictions of that which allready happened.In the same way the Old Testament is also linked to today and tommorow.This may not be what u were looking for checkbaiter but mabey it ties in in it's own weird way.'proff'.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 21:49
    Is the Day of Pentecost the “Birthday of the Church”?

http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=590
  8. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 22:51
    Is the Day of Pentecost the “Birthday of the Church”?

http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=590
    Is it God's birthday?
  9. Joined
    12 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 23:36
    Let me take a guess if I may. I would say the 'new' because they were written after Jesus was crucified, died, buried, risen and ascended. What took place in the Gospels was mostly when Jesus was alive but since they were written after His death which is considered AD they would be considered New Testament.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 00:45
    Originally posted by Skyward
    Let me take a guess if I may. I would say the 'new' because they were written after Jesus was crucified, died, buried, risen and ascended. What took place in the Gospels was mostly when Jesus was alive but since they were written after His death which is considered AD they would be considered New Testament.
    No, I think the four gospels are actually old covenant. The differences are many. Of course this involves "dispensationalism".
    Before the day of Pentecost in Acts chapter 2...
    People were still under law.
    Believers had holy spirit "upon" them and it was "conditional".
    Jesus came for the "lost house of Isreal"
    To keep this short, these are only the beginning of the vast differences in the old and new covenants.
    After the day of Pentecost in Acts2....
    People(believers) were no longer under law.
    Rom 10:4
    4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
    (NKJ)

Believers had holy spirit "in" them and is now "unconditional"
    Col 1:27
    27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
    (NKJ)

Rom 11:29
    29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
    (NKJ)

God now commands all men to repent. Not just Jews.

Acts 17:30
    30 "Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,
    (NKJ)

Eph 2:8-16
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
    9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
    11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh-- who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands--
    12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
    13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
    14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
    15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,
    16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
    (NKJ)
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 00:48

This is my blood of the [b]covenant
    , which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This ...[text shortened]... u.

Cheers,

LH[/b]
    This is symbollic of what was to come. He began to prepare his disciples for the good news that was coming.
  12. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 08:061 edit
    This is symbollic of what was to come. He began to prepare his disciples for the good news that was coming.
    Is this a wedding?🙂
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 08:20
    So when Jesus says something it's "symbolic" but when the Apostle Paul says something it's the "New Covenant"? You are a very strange "Christian".
  14. London
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 11:32
    Could you expand? What were his words at the Last Supper symbolising? What was the "additonal" good news to come that Christ had not already revealed (in words and through his person) to his disciples?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 01:38
    Could you expand? What were his words at the Last Supper symbolising? What was the "additonal" good news to come that Christ had not already revealed (in words and through his person) to his disciples?
    Look at my 2nd to last post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree