Bible study and the fear of God

Bible study and the fear of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
29 Nov 21
1 edit

Just a notion from an outsider, but I have the impression that some people stick their noses into the Bible and pore over Scriptures because they are afraid to look God in the face and be annihiliated, or to allow Christ in, or to allow the Holy Spirit to do its transformative work.

In some cases it seems that Bible study and commentary are egocentric forms of performative Christianity, because the ego is not quite ready to give up and hand itself over.

Oh! BTW, I saw this saying recently: "A good lawyer knows the Law. A great lawyer knows the Judge." ๐Ÿ˜‰

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@Kevin-Eleven

Congradulations on going to the www.recoveryversion.org website to get clear on what the Recovery Version is all about.

I wonder if you would get any benefit from this Fireside chat of a few Christians touching some matters of mental health.

Fireside Chat #11

Moves
29 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Kevin-Eleven

Congradulations on going to the www.recoveryversion.org website to get clear on what the Recovery Version is all about.

I wonder if you would get any benefit from this Fireside chat of a few Christians touching some matters of mental health.

Fireside Chat #11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBkdZzu2om8
Thank you for the link, but two to five minutes is about my limit for sitting still to watch a video on any topic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@Kevin-Eleven

That is not encouraging because the words spoken are all taken with care, patience, and not rushed into.

I would try to get through 12 minutes.

Moves
29 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Kevin-Eleven

I would try to get through 12 minutes.
Then please do so.

Moves
30 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Kevin-Eleven

Congradulations
Is the misspelling of that word supposed to be some kind of troll clue?

On my keyboard the d and the t are pretty far apart.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
Just a notion from an outsider, but I have the impression that some people stick their noses into the Bible and pore over Scriptures because they are afraid to look God in the face and be annihiliated, or to allow Christ in, or to allow the Holy Spirit to do its transformative work.

In some cases it seems that Bible study and commentary are egocentric forms of perform ...[text shortened]... ! BTW, I saw this saying recently: "A good lawyer knows the Law. A great lawyer knows the Judge." ๐Ÿ˜‰
Where does this come from?

I'm thinking you have some horrible examples of Christianity to look at if this is all you get out of it.

Or alternatively, you don't believe a whit of Christianity and so you feel you must knock it down at every opportunity in order to "justify" not believing. And I admit that some Christians just don't exemplify their religion very well at all. But seriously, it's not ALL crap. I think Christians, as a group, could be better representatives of their chosen religion, but I guess this, too, is human nature. Thank goodness we have a method of transcending the frailty and vanity of humans.

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
30 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Kevin-Eleven

Fireside Chat #11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBkdZzu2om8
Why have you sent Kevin Eleven a link to a 2 hour 40 minute dreary droning lecture about mental health?

I watched the first few minutes and felt like jumping off of something. Where you you lot dig up these people so incapable of presenting their ideas succinctly.

It’s just like you, come to think of it. On and on and on, saying virtually nothing.

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
30 Nov 21
1 edit

@kevin-eleven said
Is the misspelling of that word supposed to be some kind of troll clue?

On my keyboard the d and the t are pretty far apart.
Never mind congrats, if anyone got through that dreary load of self sanctified waffle I’d by them a good meal.

I got to the bit where boring person 3 was telling me about the the “recovery” cult have all the best insights, knowledge and are best prepared to deal with mental health.

Awful.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Nov 21

@divegeester said
Why have you sent Kevin Eleven a link to a 2 hour 40 minute dreary droning lecture about mental health?

I watched the first few minutes and felt like jumping off of something. Where you you lot dig up these people so incapable of presenting their ideas succinctly.

It’s just like you, come to think of it. On and on and on, saying virtually nothing.
Serves youall right for reading what that joker writes, and even opening his rubbish youtube videos.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said

In some cases it seems that Bible study and commentary are egocentric forms of perform ...[text shortened]... ! BTW, I saw this saying recently: "A good lawyer knows the Law. A great lawyer knows the Judge." ๐Ÿ˜‰
The Holy Bible is the Word of God. It’s God’s revelation of Himself to mankind.

Poring over Scripture *is* looking God in the face (figuratively speaking, of course.)

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
The Holy Bible is the Word of God. It’s God’s revelation of Himself to mankind.
Or at least, that's what the people who wrote this stuff would have you believe.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
Or at least, that's what the people who wrote this stuff would have you believe.
You mean all those scientific facts that were thousands of years ahead of man and all those accurate prophecies were penned by men who *weren’t* under the inspiration, guidance and control of God’s Holy Spirit?

I don’t think so, but believe what you want to believe.

It’s always funny to me how atheists spend so much time arguing against God’s existence. I don’t believe in rainbow-colored hippopotamuses, but if someone did, I wouldn’t spend hours on the Internet arguing that they don’t exist.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
You mean all those scientific facts that were thousands of years ahead of man and all those accurate prophecies were penned by men who *weren’t* under the inspiration, guidance and control of God’s Holy Spirit?

I don’t think so, but believe what you want to believe.

It’s always funny to me how atheists spend so much time arguing against God’s existence. I don’t believe i ...[text shortened]... potamuses, but if someone did, I wouldn’t spend hours on the Internet arguing that they don’t exist.
I have never argued against the existence of god. And there are no "scientific facts that were thousands of years ahead of man" or accurate prophecies anywhere in the bible.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
I have never argued against the existence of god. And there are no "scientific facts that were thousands of years ahead of man" or accurate prophecies anywhere in the bible.
Sure there are.

Watch this video if you want to learn about how scientific facts in the Holy Bible were thousands of years ahead of man:

And Jesus Christ fulfilled plenty of Messianic prophecies, including the place of His birth.

“But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”

(Micah 5:2)

I could list many more but am not going to go to the trouble since you’re so sure there are no accurate prophecies. But check Daniel chapter 9. That’s an amazingly accurate prophecy of when Jesus would be crucified and was written, like the book of Micah, about 500 years before the crucifixion happened.