Bible study and the fear of God

Bible study and the fear of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
Sure there are.

Watch this video if you want to learn about how scientific facts in the Holy Bible were thousands of years ahead of man:

https://youtu.be/L0Iw74lbvOM

And Jesus Christ fulfilled plenty of Messianic prophecies, including the place of His birth.

“But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he ...[text shortened]... crucified and was written, like the book of Micah, about 500 years before the crucifixion happened.
Not going to watch the video, I've heard these kind of claims from many different people over the years and none of them carry any weight. The prophecies are all easily discounted too, as I explained to you previously. The people who wrote about the events that you think were predicted so accurately had a vested interest in matching their story up with the predictions. Furthermore, the oldest biblical texts are dated only a couple of hundred years BCE, so your dating can only ever be conjecture.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
Not going to watch the video, I've heard these kind of claims from many different people over the years and none of them carry any weight. The prophecies are all easily discounted too, as I explained to you previously. The people who wrote about the events that you think were predicted so accurately had a vested interest in matching their story up with the predictions ...[text shortened]... ical texts are dated only a couple of hundred years BCE, so your dating can only ever be conjecture.
I knew you wouldn’t watch the video. You’ve already dismissed it but have no idea what it says. Now do you see why I think you’re closed-minded on this subject?

Your claim about the dates of books in the Holy Bible is just blatantly wrong. The oldest books date to 1,440 B.C. if not earlier, and the most recent book in the Old Testament dates to around 500 B.C.

And how after the fact do you fit where someone was born to match a prophecy?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Nov 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
I knew you wouldn’t watch the video. You’ve already dismissed it but have no idea what it says. Now do you see why I think you’re closed-minded on this subject?

Your claim about the dates of books in the Holy Bible is just blatantly wrong. The oldest books date to 1,440 B.C. if not earlier, and the most recent book in the Old Testament dates to around 500 B.C.

And how after the fact do you fit where someone was born to match a prophecy?
I'm closed-minded on this point. If there actually was any advanced scientific knowledge in the bible I'd have seen it already, I've watched enough of these claims to know not to waste my time.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are dated to about 250BCE. What have you got that's older than that?

Are you talking about Bethelehem Ephrathah? Very arguable identifying that with the Bethlehem where Jesus is said to have been born. Also, good evidence to suggest that Jesus (the "Nazorean" ) wasn't actually born in Bethlehem anyway. But of course it'd be good if he was from the perspective of the ancient prophecy...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
I'm closed-minded on this point. If there actually was any advanced scientific knowledge in the bible I'd have seen it already, I've watched enough of these claims to know not to waste my time.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are dated to about 250BCE. What have you got that's older than that?

Are you talking about Bethelehem Ephrathah? Very arguable identifying that with ...[text shortened]... thlehem anyway. But of course it'd be good if he was from the perspective of the ancient prophecy...
Are you talking about when books of the Holy Bible were written or when the earliest surviving manuscripts date from? Because those are two different things.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 21
9 edits

@divegeester

Why have you sent Kevin Eleven a link to a 2 hour 40 minute dreary droning lecture about mental health?

I watched the first few minutes and felt like jumping off of something. Where you you lot dig up these people so incapable of presenting their ideas succinctly.

The video I feel is for people who have a sense of empathy.
The video is a non-rushed conversation about people in spiritual pursuit of Christ who also may have clinical level mental or emotional problems.

Some people with a very strong narcissistic bent to their personality have no empathy.

&t=1831s

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
01 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
It’s always funny to me how atheists spend so much time arguing against God’s existence. I don’t believe in rainbow-colored hippopotamuses, but if someone did, I wouldn’t spend hours on the Internet arguing that they don’t .
It's odd, in general, that people spend hours arguing on the internet. (I'm guilty of this as well.)

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Are you talking about when books of the Holy Bible were written or when the earliest surviving manuscripts date from? Because those are two different things.
If you consider what I've written, you'll find I've been quite clear to which of those things I refer.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 21

@avalanchethecat said
If you consider what I've written, you'll find I've been quite clear to which of those things I refer.
Ok, but do you agree that when a book of the Holy Bible was written is different from when the earliest surviving manuscript dates from?

And if you don’t agree, do you apply that standard to all historical texts?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
It's odd, in general, that people spend hours arguing on the internet. (I'm guilty of this as well.)
I think it’s because of the anonymity and lack of consequences for what people on the Internet write. It’s a way to blow off steam with no repercussions.

If people met the individuals they denigrate on the Internet face to face, I think they’d behave quite differently.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 21
1 edit

@BigDogg

This matter of reconciliation to God is important.
And eternity is a long time to be wrong.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Ok, but do you agree that when a book of the Holy Bible was written is different from when the earliest surviving manuscript dates from?

And if you don’t agree, do you apply that standard to all historical texts?
I agree that it's very likely, and yes, I regard all historical texts in the same cautious manner.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
01 Dec 21

@sonship said
@BigDogg

This matter of reconciliation to God is important.
And eternity is a long time to be wrong.
1) Do you actually convert people by arguing?
2) If there is no eternity, the hours wasted are much more precious!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
1) Do you actually convert people by arguing?
2) If there is no eternity, the hours wasted are much more precious!
I didn't become a Christian until I was 25; I'm 65 now. I believe the biblical truths of the Bible are just that true. I also believe neither I nor anyone else can prove God to anyone, the only one who can do that is God, and He promises to do that to everyone who seeks Him with all of our hearts. Half-hearted prayers and non-serious inquiries will be met with the same level of response offered in the seeking. Why would God do anything less?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Dec 21

@kellyjay said
I didn't become a Christian until I was 25; I'm 65 now. I believe the biblical truths of the Bible are just that true. I also believe neither I nor anyone else can prove God to anyone, the only one who can do that is God, and He promises to do that to everyone who seeks Him with all of our hearts. Half-hearted prayers and non-serious inquiries will be met with the same level of response offered in the seeking. Why would God do anything less?
That's your path, and you have every right to it, but it's not mine.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
That's your path, and you have every right to it, but it's not mine.
I'm not sure what you mean by that truthfully. We can all be on our paths; where and why is meaningless as much as where we are truly going and will end up. If there is but one way, one path to truth, and life at the end, then any other path wouldn't be; instead, it would take everyone into error. Simply suggesting there are many paths all going to the same place is only worthwhile if true. Truth is a very limiting thing, something either is or is not; no matter how close something looks real and true, reality will not be altered because we want it to be something else.