1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:25
    Week 22 Generosity

The Bible says, “God loves a cheerful giver.” The following Scriptures give many reasons for giving generously.

1. Circle key words and phrases in the following Scriptures.

But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.
    1 CHRONICLES 29:14

Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;
    then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
    PROVERBS 3:9–10

* One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
    PROVERBS 11:24–25

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    LUKE 6:38

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
    2 CORINTHIANS 9:6–7

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
    ACTS 20:35

2. What do we learn about generosity in (answer briefly):
    1 Chronicles 29:14
    Luke 6:38
    Proverbs 3:9–10 2
    Corinthians 9:6–7
    Proverbs 11:24–25
    Acts 20:35

3. Do a verse study using the form on the next page.

4. Memorize Proverbs 11:24–25.

Verse Study Form

Using the suggested memory verse marked with an asterisk from the
    opposite page, complete this verse study form.

1. Verse reference ____________________________________________

2. List two key words and define them.
    Key Word ________________________________________________
    Definition ________________________________________________

3. What does the verse say?
    (Paraphrase—Rewrite the verse in your own words.)

4. How can you apply the truth of this verse to your life today?

Closing (Prayer time and assignment for next week)

Next week Bible Study is on (God’s Divine Care)
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:321 edit
    "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Then why bother to go through all the giving and receiving, transfering and returning, in the first place?

If I give a dollar, this passage says it will be returned to me, presumably by the original recipient, or another party such as God. If it's the original recipient, why shouldn't I just keep the dollar instead of going through the ritual? If it's another party, why don't they just give the dollar directly to the intended recipient rather than commanding me to act as a middle man? (Also, in the case of the third party, are they also insured that what they give via me is returned to them? If so, we either have an infinite stack of turtles, or the cycle essentially reduces to the first case, in which case we're all just wasting time by circular giving.)

Dr. S
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:35
    "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Can anybody tell me what is formally wrong with this command?
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:35
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Then why bother to go through all the giving and receiving, transfering and returning, in the first place?

If I give a dollar, this passage says it will ...[text shortened]... es to the first case, in which case we're all just wasting time by circular giving.)

Dr. S
    It is just reiterating to love your neighbor. By giving, you're justifying God's abundant giving to you. If you give more, God will give you more in return; whether it is through love, joy, material needs, etc. is up to God.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:36
    "Each man [b]should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Can anybody tell me what is formally wrong with this command?[/b]
    Would you please inform us?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:391 edit
    “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Theoretical computer scientists have what is known as a Pumping Theorem, which in essence is used to help identify and avoid nonsense claims such as this.

Suppose the claim is true. Two people can be infinitely blessed by simply passing a dollar back and forth, and in fact under the truth of the claim, they must do so if they are acting rationally, for keeping the dollar once it is received is always sub-optimal. Every gift would become a hot potato if this claim were true.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:40
    Originally posted by Darfius
    If you give more, God will give you more in return.
    That's not what it says. "Give and it will be given" and "same measure" mean the books balance.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:45
    That's not what it says. "Give and it will be given" and "same measure" mean the books balance.
    You must read it in context of the Bible, good Doctor.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:46
    “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Theoretical computer scientists have what is known as a Pumping Theorem, which in essence is used to help identify and avoid nonsense claims such as this.

Suppose the claim is true. Two people can be infinitely blessed by simply passing a dollar back and forth, and in fact under the truth of the c ...[text shortened]... s received is always sub-optimal. Every gift would become a hot potato if this claim were true.
    Context. Giving the same gift over and over is not gift-giving. It is exchanging.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 17:55
    Giving the same gift over and over is not gift-giving.
    How many times can a gift be given before it loses its blessing potential?
    Only once?
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 18:01
    How many times can a gift be given before it loses its blessing potential?
    Only once?
    To the same person? Yes, once.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 18:07
    To the same person? Yes, once.
    OK, suppose I give a dollar to you.

You believe, because the Bible tells you, that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Thus, if you want to be blessed, you would desire to immediately give the dollar back to me. However, you invoke this new clause that, once given, the dollar no longer will be blessed upon giving it back to me.

I have a couple questions. First, does the Bible support this new clause?

Second, does the invocation of this new clause explain why some evangelists who solicit donations are so extraordinarily wealthy?

Third, you do realize, don't you, that your new clause means that all blessing potential must eventually vanish, for given sufficient time of everybody following the command to give, people will have exchanged everything with everybody else at least once and there will be no more (gift, receiver) pairs with any blessing potential.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 18:13
    OK, suppose I give a dollar to you.

You believe, because the Bible tells you, that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Thus, if you want to be blessed, you would desire to immediately give the dollar back to me. However, you invoke this new clause that, once given, the dollar no longer will be blessed upon giving it back to me.

I ...[text shortened]... se at least once and there will be no more (gift, receiver) pairs with any blessing potential.
    'More' blessed does not mean it is not blessed at all to receive. For instance, a poor person who receives help from a well-to-do person is still blessed, due to the love of Christ through His children giving the gift.

If you give a gift simply to get something in return, in this case blessing, you're not doing it selflessly. The point is to give selflessly, as Christ did on the cross. It is through this growing more selfless that you grow closer to Christ, and THAT is the blessing.

14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 18:16
    Originally posted by RBHILL

2. What do we learn about generosity in (answer briefly):
    In brief, generosity, as portrayed by the cited verses, is a concept flawed to the core. When applied as instructed, to the extent that it even can be, it leads to undesirable states and much wasteful, unproductive thrashing.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '05 18:201 edit
    'More' blessed does not mean it is not blessed at all to receive. For instance, a poor person who receives help from a well-to-do person is still blessed

Right, I undestand that the receiver may be blessed.

But the verse says in very clear language that that reciever would be even more blessed by giving it away again. That is, one never maximizes ones blessings by accepting a gift. Thus in a rational society, no gifts will ever be accepted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree