1. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 03:12
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    [b]Consider for a moment the ramifications of free will

This free will thing is always tugged out. The thing is, God could have stopped us from doing evil without withholding our free will. Free will would still exist, "Shall I have toast or cereal this morning?" "Should I become a computer programmer or a novelist?".
    Suppose I were to design a ...[text shortened]... It's just lazy thinking. If we'd always thought like that, we'd still be living in the trees.[/b]
    Thanks Jimmy,

I was too tired to retort but you said what I wanted to say and probably much better than I would have 😏
  2. Colorado
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 03:252 edits

This free will thing is always tugged out. The thing is, God could have stopped us from doing evil without withholding our free will. Free will would still exist, "Shall I have toast or cereal this morning?" "Should I become a computer programmer or a novelist?".
    Suppose I were to design a ...[text shortened]... It's just lazy thinking. If we'd always thought like that, we'd still be living in the trees.[/b]
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 03:30

This free will thing is always tugged out. The thing is, God could have stopped us from doing evil without withholding our free will. Free will would still exist

This is a contradiction. If God stops us from doing evil then we don’t have the ability to choose to do evil. This is not free will

Originally posted by The Chess Express
    We don’t know the actual causes, if we did, we’d be able to predict them

Go back far enough and there are lots of things we didn't know. It's way too easy to simply attribute that which we don't understand to some mystical being in the sky.

If we don’t know then it is also way to easy to say that it’s all science.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 06:48
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I think the part about "programming no limits into it" in the robot example is to be taken as an analogue of "without providing a suitable moral education" in your parent of a serial rapist example. If you fail to provide a suitable moral education to your child, and your child grows up to be a bad person, aren't you at least partly responsible?
    Don't you think Natural Law is a sufficient "moral education"?
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 07:03

Suppose I were to design an intelligent robot. Programming no limits into it, I let it loose into the world. Two days later it is responsible for the death of a hundred people. Who is to blame? I am.

Your analogy is inherently flawed. Humans are subject to natural law, some might call it our conscience. We are pre-programmed with the ability to morally distinguish to a greater or smaller degree between right and wrong. This distinguishment allows for a rational moral obligation to do good, while having the choice to do evil.

The thing is, God could have stopped us from doing evil without withholding our free will.

A limited free-will? Methinks that is an oxymoron. You are given limited options? That doesn't seem perfect moral freedom to me...
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 08:04
    I think the part about "programming no limits into it" in the robot example is to be taken as an analogue of "without providing a suitable moral education" in your parent of a serial rapist example. If you fail to provide a suitable moral education to your child, and your child grows up to be a bad person, aren't you at least partly responsible?
    I'm not so sure.

We're talking about free will. I took 'programming no limits' to mean no 'do not
    harm humans' chip like RoboCop had, not 'view killing and saving people as morally
    equal action.'

Conversely, if you tell a child 'Don't steal or God will punish you by making you
    burn in hell,' are you taking away free will? Is that really 'programming a limit?'
    It sorta might be. I don't really know the answer.

Nemesio
  7. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 08:22
    If you give fish a bowl and some water to swim in and food to eat, and then the fish develop technologies that they know will poison the water and taint the food, is it your fault if they kill themselves? Would it not still be merciful to forgive them of their stupidity, and help them out from time to time?

If we lived the way God intended us to ...[text shortened]... re would be a lot fewer natural disasters (and a lot fewer problems in general for that matter).
    The above debate is all very erudite, but could we all take a moment to enjoy the following phrase:

"...and then the fish develop technologies that they know will poison the water and taint the food."

This is a work of genius, and the debate is now secondary to it.
  8. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 14:25
    http://www.afsc.org/iraq/movie.htm

Watch this movie and try to explain away how God is truly a loving God to allow this all to happen?

Can I beat some of you Christians to the predictable answer you are going to give about mankind and free will and God has nothing to do with it? At least for me, it doesn't wash.
  9. Colorado
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 15:04
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    http://www.afsc.org/iraq/movie.htm

Watch this movie and try to explain away how God is truly a loving God to allow this all to happen?

Can I beat some of you Christians to the predictable answer you are going to give about mankind and free will and God has nothing to do with it? At least for me, it doesn't wash.
    Like I said "the problem is this world hasn’t gotten it yet."

Do you think these things would be happening if everybody lived the way God intended us to live?
  10. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 15:33
    Like I said "the problem is this world hasn’t gotten it yet."

Do you think these things would be happening if everybody lived the way God intended us to live?

From the Christian or perhaps most religious perspectives, no these particular problems would most likely not exist if we were more "Christian" like.

But the fundamental flaw comes from the Creator and not the Creation. The Creator could have easily created us without the capacity to commit violent acts against each other. Does the automobile maker not usually make a car that does not adhere to some kind of safety precautions?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 15:35
    [b]Do you think these things would be happening if everybody lived the way God intended us to live?

From the Christian or perhaps most religious perspectives, no these particular problems would most likely not exist if we were more "Christian" like.

But the fundamental flaw comes from the Creator and not the Creation. The Creator could have eas ...[text shortened]... automobile maker not usually make a car that does not adhere to some kind of safety precautions?[/b]
    The Creator could have easily created us without the capacity to commit violent acts against each other. Does the automobile maker not usually make a car that does not adhere to some kind of safety precautions?

That way we would all be robots with no free will.
  12. Colorado
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 16:19
    [b]Do you think these things would be happening if everybody lived the way God intended us to live?

But the fundamental flaw comes from the Creator and not the Creation. The Creator could have eas ...[text shortened]... automobile maker not usually make a car that does not adhere to some kind of safety precautions?[/b]
    I don’t like the way world is anymore than you do. Sometimes I wonder myself what the lesser evil is, free will or robots. God chose free will, and so this is where we’re at.

If God were to force his will on us then he would become the ultimate dictator. None of us would know him, and none of us would understand. By letting us choose between good and evil, God allows us to see what evil is, and what it leads to. God gives us the opportunity to choose him because we realize (eventually) that God is good. In fact, God is the source of all good.

To blame things like the Iraq war on God is to say that Saddam, Bush and all those involved are saints. To blame trouble on God is to say that those who cause trouble are blameless. We all know that this is not the case.

It’s easy to be mad at God, it’s easy to blame him, I’ve been there myself, but understand this is not what he wants. If we all loved one another as God wants us to these things would never happen.
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Don't you think Natural Law is a sufficient "moral education"?
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Where I come from, the term "Natural Law" refers to a particular ethical theory, most famously advocated by Aquinas.
  14. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 18:41
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]The Creator could have easily created us without the capacity to commit violent acts against each other. Does the automobile maker not usually make a car that does not adhere to some kind of safety precautions?

That way we would all be robots with no free will.[/b]
    No we wouldn't and I am too weary to repeat this arguement. Reread earlier posts in this thread to address this.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 20:17
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Where I come from, the term "Natural Law" refers to a particular ethical theory, most famously advocated by Aquinas.
    Its the same where I come from.... I was presuming it from the perspective of being God-programmed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree