1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 22:40
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Yes Rob, it's that simple.

More earthquake sensitive earthquake detections mean we can detect more earthquakes.

I fail to see what is so hard to grasp?!
    ok, its a matter of correlation

technology correlates to increase of reporting say one hundred stations per year
    seismic activity increase is one thousand fold in the same duration. You see ability to report and preponderance of seismic activity are not the same things dear Noobster, either incidences have increased or they have not. I was being flippant with Trev.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 23:10
    Yes Rob, it's that simple.

More earthquake sensitive earthquake detections mean we can detect more earthquakes.

I fail to see what is so hard to grasp?!
    So it would be safe to say we hear more about earthquake activity today then say 200 years ago?
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 10:17
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So it would be safe to say we hear more about earthquake activity today then say 200 years ago?
    The amount of seismic activity has always remained relatively constant, what has changed has been our ability to detect them. The increase over the years in the detection of quakes is because we can now detect quakes that can't be felt on the surface, the number of large quakes has stayed relatively constant.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 10:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok, its a matter of correlation

technology correlates to increase of reporting say one hundred stations per year
    seismic activity increase is one thousand fold in the same duration. You see ability to report and preponderance of seismic activity are not the same things dear Noobster, either incidences have increased or they have not. I was being flippant with Trev.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 13:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I was being flippant with Trev.
    And you were being flippant because you have nothing better to say, because you know perfectly well you are wrong. Essentially you are being dishonest.

I am still waiting for that severe thrashing you promised me. So far all you have come up with is a website of unknown origin which has no relevant references whatsoever - and quite clearly makes false claims.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 13:42
    And usually the two types of people that die in them are ones who have never been thru one and have no idea, or their ones that have been thru a couple weaker ones and say it's no big deal.
    I have pointed out in several threads about 'natural disasters' that in every single case prevention was possible because the events were not totally unexpected. Its all a question of how seriously we take the threat and what we do about it - and of course our capacity to do something about it.

But you know the worst hurricane you could ever imagine starts off in the distance as a small unassuming little cloud.
    And this question in this thread is whether any such cloud can be seen on the horizon, or whether the fact that you have just bought a new pair of sun glasses and a telescope is causing you so see dark shadows on the horizon, or even worse that it is all due to the lack of sleep after reading too much prophesy.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 15:38
    The amount of seismic activity has always remained relatively constant, what has changed has been our ability to detect them. The increase over the years in the detection of quakes is because we can now detect quakes that can't be felt on the surface, the number of large quakes has stayed relatively constant.
    So is it a fact that the public hears of more earthquakes today as a result of technology that hasn't exisisted thru mankinds history?
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 17:27
    So is it a fact that the public hears of more earthquakes today as a result of technology that hasn't exisisted thru mankinds history?
    what do you think?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 17:361 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And you were being flippant because you have nothing better to say, because you know perfectly well you are wrong. Essentially you are being dishonest.

I am still waiting for that severe thrashing you promised me. So far all you have come up with is a website of unknown origin which has no relevant references whatsoever - and quite clearly makes false claims.
    not true, i posted my concerns to Noobster which he has failed to understand, perhaps a graphical representation would be better. As for dishonesty, pray tell when you started to be able to discern the motives and intentions of others? do you also read minds and hearts? what about tarot cards? or the back of cornflakes packets?

I stated it before, you were party to the same information that i was, its not my site, i did not produce it, nor upload the information, so why are you trying to assert that it has any bearing to me personally, i do not know. If you find it dubious, contradictory, unsubstantiated, take it up with the site owner, not me.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 18:39
    Originally posted by trev33
    what do you think?
    The reason I'm asking such an obvious question is if one were to go back to Matt 24:6 , Jesus says you would "hear" of these things. Obviously before modern times with the communications we now have, ones would not have heard of these things such as earthquakes worldwide as we do now. So now that the world does hear these things like never before, this would make this scripture something all should be concerned about.
    Take it as you want......
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:59
    An analogy if you will -

Witht the development of better technology scientists have managed to detect more than 400 exo-planets (planets outside our solar system), because we hadn't had the technology to detect them before, it doesn't mean they didn't exist. They've always been there. The same with earthquakes.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 20:06
    An analogy if you will -

Witht the development of better technology scientists have managed to detect more than 400 exo-planets (planets outside our solar system), because we hadn't had the technology to detect them before, it doesn't mean they didn't exist. They've always been there. The same with earthquakes.
    True.....
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 23:00
    Jesus said that an increase of Earthquakes would be one sign of the last days of this system at Matt 24:7.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/index.php?old=world.html

This is an interesting site to just follow along with.
    Have an original though!! Stop quoting us your Watchtower!!
    Do you have an original thought? Or idea?

I think Proper Nob is right there is more equipment that can detect more earth quakes. Also the equipment is more sensitive. Some how with seismic equipment they can tell when other countries testing nuclear weapons.

Manny
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 00:01
    Originally posted by menace71
    Have an original though!! Stop quoting us your Watchtower!!
    Do you have an original thought? Or idea?

I think Proper Nob is right there is more equipment that can detect more earth quakes. Also the equipment is more sensitive. Some how with seismic equipment they can tell when other countries testing nuclear weapons.

Manny
    Oh get off it Manny. These are my thoughts and I'm just happy to have be in an organization that we all believe the same. If you don't like my post............don't read my post as I will continue to past what the Watchtower Society explains so well and much better then myself at times.
    So in all your wisdom and from your own Bible, you explain to me what Matt 24: 7 means??????????????????????????????? If you can?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 00:051 edit
    An analogy if you will -

(AP) New research compiled by Australian scientist Dr. Tom Chalko shows that global seismic activity on Earth is now five times more energetic than it was just 20 years ago.

The research proves that destructive ability of earthquakes on Earth increases alarmingly fast and that this trend is set to continue, unless the problem of "global warming" is comprehensively and urgently addressed.

The analysis of more than 386,000 earthquakes between 1973 and 2007 recorded on the US Geological Survey database proved that the global annual energy of earthquakes on Earth began increasing very fast since 1990.

Dr. Chalko said that global seismic activity was increasing faster than any other global warming indicator on Earth and that this increase is extremely alarming.

"The most serious environmental danger we face on Earth may not be climate change, but rapidly and systematically increasing seismic, tectonic and volcanic activity," said Dr. Chalko.

"Increase in the annual energy of earthquakes is the strongest symptom yet of planetary overheating.

"NASA measurements from space confirm that Earth as a whole absorbs at least 0.85 Megawatt per square kilometer more energy from the Sun than it is able to radiate back to space. This 'thermal imbalance' means that heat generated in the planetary interior cannot escape and that the planetary interior must overheat. Increase in seismic, tectonic and volcanic activities is an unavoidable consequence of the observed thermal imbalance of the planet," said Dr. Chalko.

Dr. Chalko has urged other scientists to maximize international awareness of the rapid increase in seismic activity, pointing out that this increase is not theoretical but that it is an Observable Fact.

"Unless the problem of global warming (the problem of persistent thermal imbalance of Earth) is addressed urgently and comprehensively - the rapid increase in global seismic, volcanic and tectonic activity is certain. Consequences of inaction can only be catastrophic. There is no time for half-measures."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/18/tech/main4191556.shtml

this is not so easy for those who claim that an increase in stations means and increase in recorded seismic activity which they have erroneously assumed means no increase in frequency nor of magnitude. The fact of the matter is, an increase in temperature (we now have the highest recordings of ocean temperature ever since records began) means more ice melts, means more water pressure , means more pressure on the tectonic plates, mans more seismic activity, plus even a few degrees of temperature increase makes the rock more prone to disturbance. The matter is of course, that we now have enough scientific reasons to believe that siesmic activity has and will increase in the future, irrespective of whether there is more stations for recording it or not. I am reminded of the words of Bob Dylan, 'how many times must a man look up, before he sees the sky'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree