1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 16:41
    Sons that do get beat to a pulp weren't wise enough, then?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 17:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The son that fears and respects his father will become wise enough to avoid getting beat to a pulp.

The Instructor
    Is that what happened to you?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 04:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is that what happened to you?
    I must have became wise because I was never beat to a pulp after the razor strap incident.

The Instructor
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 08:46
    "I must have become wise..."

Oh, the irony.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 06:01
    "Bible Verses on Fools" (OP)

"There are Bible verses about fools that help guide us in our daily lives. "Many verses in Proverbs and Psalms tell us how to avoid fools, to choose wisely and to live according to God's will. The foolish make bad decisions and can be easily lead astray. Being a fool doesn't mean you are stupid. In fact, usually a fool is someone who just is too lazy to think about the consequences of their actions. So take heed of what is in the Bible about foolishness... "

"Psalms 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 10:13 In the lips of him that has understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.

Proverbs 10:14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.

Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman builds her house: but the foolish plucks it down with her hands.

Proverbs 14:15 The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going.

Proverbs 18:2 A fool has no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

Proverbs 29:11 A fool utters all his mind: but a wise man keeps it in till afterwards.

Ecclesiastes 4:5 The fool folds his hands together, and eats his own flesh.

Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in your spirit to be angry: for anger rests in the bosom of fools.

Titus 3:3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another." (bible Verses on fools/godvine)

Your thoughts on these twelve verses?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 10:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The son that fears and respects his father will become wise enough to avoid getting beat to a pulp.

The Instructor
    I cannot imagine fearing someone I respect,
    nor respecting someone I fear.

Although you probably have a twisted definition of respect.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 10:083 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I cannot imagine fearing someone I respect,
    nor respecting someone I fear.

Although you probably have a twisted definition of respect.
    Some people die on the Scottish mountains every year because they do not respect the mountain and go ill equipped, if they had a healthy fear of displeasing the mountain gods, this would not be the case. Respect and fear, fear of displeasing ones father as I suspect Jonah Hinds intended, in this instance go hand in hand. Its your perspective on fear that needs looked at.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 11:021 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    May I ask how you'd describe your relationship with your own father? Rhetorically, of course.
    Sorry, Robert. Totally missed this question initially.

Yes, of course you may ask. But I don't feel comfortable talking about my personal life on a website, so sorry.

I will tell you a little story that happened years ago, though.

I was on holiday in Spain and in the evening me and my parents were sitting at a cafe terrace enjoying the evening and watching people pass by in the streets.
    Along came a family. From their looks I'd say they were Spanish. A mother, father and a young son. The boy was about eight years old. He was crying, shouting, throwing a tantrum and basically making a scene. Not sure why, maybe he was just tired.
    At a certain moment the father stops walking and he stops his son. He stands in front of his boy, gets on his knees and faces his son eye to eye. He grabs his sons hand, starts talking to him in a soft way, caresses his son's hair, puts his arm over his son's shoulder, continues talking to him in a soft way, continues to look him in his eyes and finally hugs him. As this happened, with every second that passed the boy calmed down more and more. At the end he'd stopped crying and was smiling.
    Now granted, since I couldn't hear what was being said, technically the father could have been threatening his son, but from the body language, facial expressions and final hug I'd say there was not one single threat being uttered.
    The image stayed with me forever and is the most impressive example of parenting I've ever seen.
    I'm also reasonably sure that that boy (he's grown up now, of course) respects his father a hell of a lot more than the boy that gets his ass kicked by his father four times a week.

If only your God would be like that father.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 11:183 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Sorry, Robert. Totally missed this question initially.

Yes, of course you may ask. But I don't feel comfortable talking about my personal life on a website, so sorry.

I will tell you a little story that happened years ago, though.

I was on holiday in Spain and in the evening me and my parents were sitting at a cafe terrace enjoying the evenin ...[text shortened]... s his ass kicked by his father four times a week.

If only your God would be like that father.
    Not only is our God 'the father of tender mercies' and the 'God of all comfort', he extends those mercies to ingrates and makes the sun shine on the righteous and the unrighteous. If only you understood that.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 11:25
    And yet above all I should fear him. This merciful being.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 11:35
    And yet above all I should fear him. This merciful being.
    perhaps you have a rather narrow perspective of the term, 'fear', who can say?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 11:42
    That may be the case. I don't like lumping together various words with different meanings as though they're all the same whenever it suits me.

"Hmm... Fear sounds so negative. Let's call it respect. It's all the same."
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 11:51
    That may be the case. I don't like lumping together various words with different meanings as though they're all the same whenever it suits me.

"Hmm... Fear sounds so negative. Let's call it respect. It's all the same."
    and why should you, each has a certain nuance and may reflect upon another, there is reverential fear, abject fear etc etc
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 13:01
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I’ll just comment for now on Proverbs 1:7—

The Hebrew word translated here (and elsewhere) as “fear:” is yirah, which means something like “tremulous awe”—not “fear” as in to “be frightened of”. Unfortunately, this was translated into Greek as phobos which, I think, can mean either.
    "Phobos" (phovos) in this context means not "fear" but "deep respect" and/ or "tremulous awe", my friend😵
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Oct '13 13:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Jim, do these words give an accurate translation of “tremulous awe”, especially?"

"Bob, Not really. The "tremulous" is not a good translation as it means, "not steady because of fear, excitement, etc." That still sounds like fear, as in being afraid, when the word YIRAH means, "awe and respect." "Most of the usages of the noun are in the concept of ...[text shortened]... nce of the Bible.)
    I hope this helps." (comments from a pastor-teacher friend near Boston, MA)
    Nope; "tremulous awe" and/ or "deep respect" is the best translation😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree