1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Sep '13 23:39
    "Bible Verses on Fools"

    "There are Bible verses about fools that help guide us in our daily lives. "Many verses in Proverbs and Psalms tell us how to avoid fools, to choose wisely and to live according to God's will. The foolish make bad decisions and can be easily lead astray. Being a fool doesn't mean you are stupid. In fact, usually a fool is someone who just is too lazy to think about the consequences of their actions. So take heed of what is in the Bible about foolishness... "

    "Psalms 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good.

    Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

    Proverbs 10:13 In the lips of him that has understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.

    Proverbs 10:14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.

    Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman builds her house: but the foolish plucks it down with her hands.

    Proverbs 14:15 The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going.

    Proverbs 18:2 A fool has no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.

    Proverbs 20:3 It is an honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

    Proverbs 29:11 A fool utters all his mind: but a wise man keeps it in till afterwards.

    Ecclesiastes 4:5 The fool folds his hands together, and eats his own flesh.

    Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in your spirit to be angry: for anger rests in the bosom of fools.

    Titus 3:3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another." (bible Verses on fools/godvine)

    Your thoughts on these twelve verses?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    24 Sep '13 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Bible Verses on Fools"

    "There are Bible verses about fools that help guide us in our daily lives. "Many verses in Proverbs and Psalms tell us how to avoid fools, to choose wisely and to live according to God's will. The foolish make bad decisions and can be easily lead astray. Being a fool doesn't mean you are stupid. In fact, usually a fool ...[text shortened]... nd hating one another." (bible Verses on fools/godvine)

    Your thoughts on these twelve verses?[/b]
    Matthew 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

    PS Wikipedia says Raca means "worthless", "vain", "empty".
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    25 Sep '13 00:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Bible Verses on Fools"

    "There are Bible verses about fools that help guide us in our daily lives. "Many verses in Proverbs and Psalms tell us how to avoid fools, to choose wisely and to live according to God's will. The foolish make bad decisions and can be easily lead astray. Being a fool doesn't mean you are stupid. In fact, usually a fool ...[text shortened]... nd hating one another." (bible Verses on fools/godvine)

    Your thoughts on these twelve verses?[/b]
    I’ll just comment for now on Proverbs 1:7—

    The Hebrew word translated here (and elsewhere) as “fear:” is yirah, which means something like “tremulous awe”—not “fear” as in to “be frightened of”. Unfortunately, this was translated into Greek as phobos which, I think, can mean either.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    26 Sep '13 02:221 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I’ll just comment for now on Proverbs 1:7—

    The Hebrew word translated here (and elsewhere) as “fear:” is yirah, which means something like “tremulous awe”—not “fear” as in to “be frightened of”. Unfortunately, this was translated into Greek as phobos which, I think, can mean either.
    "Jim, do these words give an accurate translation of “tremulous awe”, especially?"

    "Bob, Not really. The "tremulous" is not a good translation as it means, "not steady because of fear, excitement, etc." That still sounds like fear, as in being afraid, when the word YIRAH means, "awe and respect." "Most of the usages of the noun are in the concept of worship and obedience, not the fear of God, which underlies a large proportion of the verbal contexts." (Complete Biblical Library Hebrew-English Dictionary.)

    "Moral reverence" (Strong's Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.) List of English Words and Number of Times Used in the OT
    awesome (1),
    extremely (1),
    fear (35),
    fearing (1),
    reverence (5).
    (New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.)
    I hope this helps." (comments from a pastor-teacher friend near Boston, MA)
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    go phish
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    26 Sep '13 03:151 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Matthew 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. [b]But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

    PS Wikipedia says Raca means "worthless", "vain", "empty".[/b]
    I'm not sure but I think raca literally means "empty head". What sayeth the resident scholars here at ye olde Crimson Hot Prawn?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    26 Sep '13 03:331 edit
    (off topic/self moderated)
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    26 Sep '13 05:181 edit
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I'm not sure but I think raca literally means "empty head". What sayeth the resident scholars here at ye olde Crimson Hot Prawn?
    This is about being angry with a brother without a cause. There was a law against slander that could be dealt with by the Council of the Sanhedrin. I believe "raca" is a term used to vilify and defame a person's good name. Therefore, damages for slander could be brought against that one, if it is untrue. Literally the word means "worthless". I believe it would be something like falsely calling a prominent person in the community, "You no good worthless bum."

    But there was no law against falsely calling someone a stupid moron or fool. But still this is an offense that one must make an accounting before the judgment seat of Christ. I believe even Jesus called some people fools for making certain unwise choices in their lives. However, He did not say it falsely. It was actually true.

    The Instructor
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    26 Sep '13 05:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Bible Verses on Fools"

    Your thoughts on these twelve verses?[/b]
    Some thoughts here Thread 154243
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14583
    26 Sep '13 06:39
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Doesn't sound like a particularly healthy relationship to me. Is it?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    27 Sep '13 05:30
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Doesn't sound like a particularly healthy relationship to me. Is it?
    To fear the wrath of the Lord seems very healthy to me. I would think that fear of punishment is very likely to prevent most people from doing wrong and to repent of their sins.

    The Instructor
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Sep '13 06:43
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Doesn't sound like a particularly healthy relationship to me. Is it?
    May I ask how you'd describe your relationship with your own father? Rhetorically, of course.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14583
    27 Sep '13 06:44
    I'd think it starts with love. Pretty stupid apparently, eh?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    27 Sep '13 07:541 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I'd think it starts with love. Pretty stupid apparently, eh?
    Love is the motivation; character based on integrity makes the relationship
    durable (emotional love alone would be shallow and unpredictable).
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14583
    27 Sep '13 08:501 edit
    Or so said the man as he beat his youngest son to a pulp.

    "I do this because I love you son, you know that right?"
    WHOOPH! Kick in the stomach.
    "You just need to learn..."
    BAM! Blow to the nose.
    "...to obey! Now clean yourself up. You're bleeding on the rug. I love you, son"
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    27 Sep '13 16:38
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Or so said the man as he beat his youngest son to a pulp.

    "I do this because I love you son, you know that right?"
    WHOOPH! Kick in the stomach.
    "You just need to learn..."
    BAM! Blow to the nose.
    "...to obey! Now clean yourself up. You're bleeding on the rug. I love you, son"
    The son that fears and respects his father will become wise enough to avoid getting beat to a pulp.

    The Instructor
Back to Top