1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [b]For me a day is 24 hours. There is nothing else.
    For god it is sometimes 24 hours, sometimes it is 1000 years!
    No, I cannot believe that god cannot be consistent.
    Time is relative spanky. I thought you knew as much. In fact, time is not consistant throughout the universe. For example, a day on Jupiter is not equivatlent to that on earth, yet, for you a day MUST be 24 hours for a God who had not even created the earth before day 1.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:34
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Could someone explain why the bible is accepted as the ultimate word of truth when there is no proof it is the word of god or even that there is a god? Also for the sake of argument, let's say there are 100 religions in the world. Inevitably the believer is positive his is correct and the other 99 are wrong. That is to say the atheist and the believer ag ...[text shortened]... ch can not be absolutely proven is not a sign of wisdom but rather a sign of wishful thinking?
    It is a sign of insecurity and the psychological need for authority.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    It is a sign of insecurity and the psychological need for authority.
    Yea, kinda like why the statists in Washington are supported by yahoo's on this site?
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    written over a period of 1500 years,
    This is a false positive. Consistency, if there is such--and that is debatable--stems from the time of compilation, not of composition. It matters not how many years separate the authors, the compilers were accepting only those texts that fit within the story they wished to pass on.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    yahoo's
    yahoos
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:41
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    yahoos
    So why do us yahoos seek an authority to guide us? Could it be it is innate? Could it be that we will either seek man to fill the void or God or some other construct?
  7. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:55
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Why is this so complicated to you? Do you as a human not use the term "Day" in different context when your describing a time period?
    If I were to say to you: Things were simpler in my "fathers Day!" Or: In "my Day" things were safer!" Or: In "Noah's Day" as the scripture says.
    Would you not have the intelligence to see the difference in meanings or ...[text shortened]... . It really doesn't help you or others like you to be taken seriously on anything.
    Our ancestors, and even some Christians today still believe that the world was created in 7 days, that the universe was created 6000 years ago, that God made man and created the woman from a man's rib, that Adam and Eve were expelled from paradise.
    Only after Christians realized that these views are no longer tenable there came a shift in explanation. No reason to reproach non-Christians to feel a mistrust about what Christians take literally, and what is just a magnificent poetic and allegoric way of describing creation and the awakening of consciousness.

Are the stories about angels and fallen angels real happenings or is it an beautiful allegoric story about pride, jealousy and discontentment? In the same way as we can read these stories in the Scriptures of other religions too?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 17:07
    Originally posted by souverein
    Our ancestors, and even some Christians today still believe that the world was created in 7 days, that the universe was created 6000 years ago, that God made man and created the woman from a man's rib, that Adam and Eve were expelled from paradise.
    Only after Christians realized that these views are no longer tenable there came a shift in explanation. No ...[text shortened]... entment? In the same way as we can read these stories in the Scriptures of other religions too?
    Well I don't agree at all that all Christians have changed their view on these things in the Bible. If they are then they are changing many other things in the Bible as a consequence. If you water down the truths and facts in the Bible then one would be doing just as Satan did with Eve.
    If these are no longer tanable and someone decided that we need to shift the undersatndings of those and other truths in the Bible, where will it end? You should just throw the Bible away then as many would love to do.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 17:07
    Only after Christians realized that these views are no longer tenable there came a shift in explanation. No ...[text shortened]... entment? In the same way as we can read these stories in the Scriptures of other religions too?
    Actually, rabbies thousands of years ago came to the conclusion that what was being discussed in Genesis was not a literal 6 days. They used their expertise in Hebrew language as well as passed down knowledge to come to these conclusions. Naturally, when reading the king james version without such knowledge we do not come to the same conclusions.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 17:131 edit
    once one takes the position of the rationalist and denies the divine element all sorts of nonsense starts to creep in, therefore it is not so much that these 'views ' are not tenable, but that in trying to explain them from a human standpoint, one enters the folly of the rationalist. Correct and accurate Biblical knowledge can dismiss everyone of these myths, for they are not founded upon any kind of accurate knowledge, but as is usual, sections are treated in their immediate context, with out recourse to the bible as a whole! Just by way of example, the 'day ' argument.

The bible states quite clearly that God was still resting on the 'seventh day', in Paul's time, therefore it is easy to state that the biblical day, may not be interpreted as a literal twenty four hour period. Why should be impose the rationalist view that it must be so, its nonsense, look at the folly of trying to view it as such, we come up with all sorts of irregularities, the like of which you have mentioned.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 17:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    once one takes the position of the rationalist and denies the divine element all sorts of nonsense starts to creep in, therefore it is not so much that these 'views ' are not tenable, but that in trying to explain them from a human standpoint, one enters the folly of the rationalist. Correct and accurate Biblical knowledge can dismiss everyone of th ...[text shortened]... such, we come up with all sorts of irregularities, the like of which you have mentioned.
    And what is worse, we all have the knowledge that time is relative. But then in the same breath, we say it is relative to everyone and everything BUT God.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 17:53
    Time is relative spanky. I thought you knew as much. In fact, time is not consistant throughout the universe. For example, a day on Jupiter is not equivatlent to that on earth, yet, for you a day MUST be 24 hours for a God who had not even created the earth before day 1.
    We don't talk about two places in universe light years and million of years apart, we are talking about the same location hundres of years apart.

Unless you are not joking with your posting? (Hehe, I fell for it! 😀 )

So back to the question: Is one day for god thousand years to men? If so - is this a universal truth throughout the bible?
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 17:58
    We don't talk about two places in universe light years and million of years apart, we are talking about the same location hundres of years apart.

So back to the question: Is one day for god thousand years to men? If so - is this a universal truth throughout the bible?
    Your obviously not reading the other post as this has already been answered for you.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 18:53
    So why do us yahoos seek an authority to guide us? Could it be it is innate? Could it be that we will either seek man to fill the void or God or some other construct?
    I doubt the psychological weakness is genetic in most cases. It likely proceeds from many causes, most of them cultural. Authority is comforting.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 19:232 edits

No, I didn't. Thanks for reminding me.

There are letter-reading christians, and there are people who see the bible as what it acually is. A chronicle from another culture and another time.

This line of arguing came to be because one letter-reading christian thought that all prophecies in the bible are true.
    I've shown that they are not. Gen 3:3 is only one example.

The answer I got was that what's true in one plae in the bible don't have to be true in another place.
    So there I showed that the bible is not true in all its parts.

If it's not true in all parts, and consistent, then it cannot be gods own words, it cannot even be inspired from some supernatural being called holy spirit. In fact, it shows that the bible is what I always said it is: Written by men with their own agenda.
    Good stories. Like Tolkiens Ring Trilogy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree