1. Maryland
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 13:34
    Could someone explain why the bible is accepted as the ultimate word of truth when there is no proof it is the word of god or even that there is a god? Also for the sake of argument, let's say there are 100 religions in the world. Inevitably the believer is positive his is correct and the other 99 are wrong. That is to say the atheist and the believer agree on 99% with the only disagreement being about the one religion of the believer.

Don't you think accepting something as absolutely true which can not be absolutely proven is not a sign of wisdom but rather a sign of wishful thinking?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 14:02
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Could someone explain why the bible is accepted as the ultimate word of truth when there is no proof it is the word of god or even that there is a god? Also for the sake of argument, let's say there are 100 religions in the world. Inevitably the believer is positive his is correct and the other 99 are wrong. That is to say the atheist and the believer ag ...[text shortened]... ch can not be absolutely proven is not a sign of wisdom but rather a sign of wishful thinking?
    Not only is there no proof that the bible is the word of god, but there is much to indicate that it is not. Whether or not there is a god, it is becoming increasingly clear that the bible is the flawed creation of flawed men.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 14:541 edit
    Could someone explain why the bible is accepted as the ultimate word of truth when there is no proof it is the word of god or even that there is a god? Also for the sake of argument, let's say there are 100 religions in the world. Inevitably the believer is positive his is correct and the other 99 are wrong. That is to say the atheist and the believer ag ch can not be absolutely proven is not a sign of wisdom but rather a sign of wishful thinking?
    If one does not see the work of God in the complexity of creations around them and including the body you have yourself, then it is a real challenge to convience one that there is a God. But not something impossible to do.
    And if one does not believe in God then it is understandably hard to believe in the Bible.
    And if one does not believe in the Bible and it's explinations and warnings of the wicked forces that affect the earth we live on, even more so at this time in history, then the truths of what is going on in association with the wicked forces can not be understood and that would lead one to not know how to protect themselves from that influence which can blind one to not knowing and believeing in a God and the Bible.
    Kind of a catch 22 thing.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 16:05
    Your explanation is very weak, in fact, not an explanation at all. Science has answered how we got here with much more evidence than the bible. How did got get here by the way?
  5. Joined
    18 Sep '09
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 16:57
    while galveston 75 meantwell,the point of the matter is not of a catch 22 nature.1st of all the word of GOD itself says in 2nd timothy 3:16'ALL scripture is inspired of GOD and beneficial for teaching,and reproving and setting things straight.'' quite often the people not believing in the bible have never tried to understand it,and more readily turn to facts based on theory....offered by science.this not not said to insult you but if you took the time and with an open mind, you might find things that would amaze you....so if you are willing we can take that time and explore BOTH sides, my name is emanuel and as you can guess i am a christian, and have been on your end ,so if you would like to see an answer ,i will check in to see if you are willing to accept....
  6. Joined
    18 Sep '09
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 16:58
    excuse the ''nome de internet'' it seems my name was taking so i use this one in fun...to play chess
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 17:23
    Could someone explain why the bible is accepted as the ultimate word of truth when there is no proof it is the word of god or even that there is a god? Also for the sake of argument, let's say there are 100 religions in the world. Inevitably the believer is positive his is correct and the other 99 are wrong. That is to say the atheist and the believer ag ...[text shortened]... ch can not be absolutely proven is not a sign of wisdom but rather a sign of wishful thinking?
    What proofs do you think you should see and don't, God Himself?
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 17:26
    Your explanation is very weak, in fact, not an explanation at all. Science has answered how we got here with much more evidence than the bible. How did got get here by the way?
    Science does not explain why we are here, it does not touch where
    everything comes from, you are comparing apples and oranges when
    you talk about this. All science talks about is process, it only talks
    about process, it does not touch where everything came from or why!

With respect to scripture accept it or reject it, I'm not quite sure what
    you want for proofs, I could give you some but if you are not clear on
    the nature of these I doubt anything shown to you will matter one way
    or another.
    Kelly
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 17:291 edit
    Who's post are you answering too? Try to include their comments in your post..Thanks.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 18:33
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Science does not explain why we are here, it does not touch where
    everything comes from, you are comparing apples and oranges when
    you talk about this. All science talks about is process, it only talks
    about process, it does not touch where everything came from or why!

With respect to scripture accept it or reject it, I'm not quite sure what
    you want ...[text shortened]... r on
    the nature of these I doubt anything shown to you will matter one way
    or another.
    Kelly
    there are various 'proofs', for exmaple the Bibles internal integrity, written over a period of 1500 years, it contains a harmonious whole. The prophecies, written sometimes hundreds of years in advance, fulfilled with unerring accuracy. The application of its wisdom, in life, to the betterment of the adherent. The fact that it transcends every political creed and national barrier and is able to unite people. The messianic prophecies pointing to the coming of the Christ, hundreds of which were fulfilled. its own claim that it was inspired of God, is itself thus not easy to refute and its only of recent times that the biblical integrity has been called into question and on insufficient grounds, thus we are subject to the same incredible dogma and postulation which marks the meanest of religions, science is the new God, all hail science, it answers everything!
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there are various 'proofs', for exmaple the Bibles internal integrity, written over a period of 1500 years, it contains a harmonious whole. The prophecies, written sometimes hundreds of years in advance, fulfilled with unerring accuracy. The application of its wisdom, in life, to the betterment of the adherent. The fact that it transcends every po ...[text shortened]... rks the meanest of religions, science is the new God, all hail science, it answers everything!
    Great post. If one were to study just the propheys in the Bible and nothing else, one would see that every prophecy that was fortold to happen before today, has happened just as the Bible said. The only ones that haven't yet, are because the time has not yet come. One example is Armageddon.
    Hey Robbie, got my new avatar up..You like?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 19:291 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Great post. If one were to study just the propheys in the Bible and nothing else, one would see that every prophecy that was fortold to happen before today, has happened just as the Bible said.
    Oh, there are many prophecies that didn't turn out to happen.

Just an example from 2 Samuel, chapter 7, verses 13-16:
    God says that Solomon's kingdom will last forever. It didn't of course. It was entirely destroyed about 400 years after Solomon's death, never to be rebuilt.

Christians I've presented this and other false prophecies tells me, a prophecy is only aa prophecy turn out to be correct, or not happened yet. So of course a prophecy, according to them, are always true prophecies, because if they are not true, they are not prophecies at all. A very circular reasoning. But that's them. I'm sure our friends here at RHP has a better explanation fo the example above.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:051 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oh, there are many prophecies that didn't turn out to happen.

Just an example from 2 Samuel, chapter 7, verses 13-16:
    God says that Solomon's kingdom will last forever. It didn't of course. It was entirely destroyed about 400 years after Solomon's death, never to be rebuilt.

Christians I've presented this and other false prophecies tells me, a prop ...[text shortened]... t's them. I'm sure our friends here at RHP has a better explanation fo the example above.
    Do you really want the answer to that or will you not aknowledge the answer as usual? Let me know...
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:16
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Do you really want the answer to that or will you not aknowledge the answer as usual? Let me know...
    If you have an answer, then I'll read it of course.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:19
    Why do you think "Biblical Authority" is a question of "proof" rather than "incentive"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree