1. weedhopper
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 21:18
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Could someone explain why the bible is accepted as the ultimate word of truth when there is no proof it is the word of god or even that there is a god? Also for the sake of argument, let's say there are 100 religions in the world. Inevitably the believer is positive his is correct and the other 99 are wrong. That is to say the atheist and the believer ag ...[text shortened]... ch can not be absolutely proven is not a sign of wisdom but rather a sign of wishful thinking?
    No, I'd call it a leap of faith. Christyians do it, big bang adherants do it, everyone who can prove a LOT of something, but cant quiiiiiite prove that last, little bitty 10 to the 23rdth of a second prior to a singularity, must resort to something. It could be called logic, or probability, but anything that you believe that can't literally prove boils down to plain ol' Faith.🙂
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 21:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you have an answer, then I'll read it of course.
    In responce yes you are correct that the physical kingdom that was on earth did not last. But is this what God was reffering to when this was said? Probably not as the earthly Kingdom did perish as you stated.
    God made a promise to Abraham and then David that the Messiah would come thru his line of decendents which he did. And in many scriptures especially in Revelation if one does the research there, that Jesus is decribed as being the King of the heavenly Kingdom that will rule forever over mankind.
    Some scriptures to refer to are: 2 Sam 7: 1-29. 1 Chron 17:11-14. This is only a couple of the many scriptures that are pointing to this promised Kingship lasting forever into the future.
    In fact the whole theme of the Bible from the 1st prophecy at Genesis 3:15 is about the restoration of God's Kingdom back on this earth. Most miss this very important point and think the Bible is just a collection of stories and events when in fact it is really an explination of events and things that has happened thru recorded history of things leading up to the finalization of the Kingdom being restored.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 21:42
    Originally posted by galveston75
    In responce yes you are correct that the physical kingdom that was on earth did not last. But is this what God was reffering to when this was said? Probably not as the earthly Kingdom did perish as you stated.
    God made a promise to Abraham and then David that the Messiah would come thru his line of decendents which he did. And in many scriptures especi ...[text shortened]... d thru recorded history of things leading up to the finalization of the Kingdom being restored.
    Well, if the author was inspired of the holy spirit, then he probably wrote with no need of re-interprete the text in another fasion that is actually was written.

The first prophecy in bible, actually, was Genesis 3:3 "but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' ". Well, this prophecy didn't turn out as god said either. He ate the fruit and lived for another 930 years, dyoing a naturaly death.

So there are prophecies that you have to interprete rather invently to make the pieces match together. Do we agree on this?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 21:59
    Well, if the author was inspired of the holy spirit, then he probably wrote with no need of re-interprete the text in another fasion that is actually was written.

The first prophecy in bible, actually, was Genesis 3:3 "but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die. ...[text shortened]... have to interprete rather invently to make the pieces match together. Do we agree on this?
    But Adam did die within the one day God promised. 2 Pet 3:8. This is an obvious and easy mistake that many make when reading the scriptures without other research and crossreferencing with other scriptures. 1Cor 2:10
    Study of the Bible is not easy and does take help from God thru prayer. If one does not believe in God and have direction from him then conclusions like yours will happen.
  5. Maryland
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 23:36
    But Adam did die within the one day God promised. 2 Pet 3:8. This is an obvious and easy mistake that many make when reading the scriptures without other research and crossreferencing with other scriptures. 1Cor 2:10
    Study of the Bible is not easy and does take help from God thru prayer. If one does not believe in God and have direction from him then conclusions like yours will happen.
    Prove it!
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 23:37
    Prove it!
    Prove what?
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 00:58
    Prove what?
    That everything in the bible is the word of god and not man.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 02:02
    That everything in the bible is the word of god and not man.
    I could say you prove that it's not God's word but that's being silly. Besides the Bible has been attacked as long as it's existed and has never been proved wrong in anyway. Seemingly all the contridictions that ones come up with can all be shown that they aren't, or anything else non believers can come up with.
    But it's late and I'm going to bed so I'll give you a few examples tomorrow if you really are honest about knowing?
  9. Maryland
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 03:47
    I could say you prove that it's not God's word but that's being silly. Besides the Bible has been attacked as long as it's existed and has never been proved wrong in anyway. Seemingly all the contridictions that ones come up with can all be shown that they aren't, or anything else non believers can come up with.
    But it's late and I'm going to bed so I'll give you a few examples tomorrow if you really are honest about knowing?
    If you believe the world was created in 6days, or that the 1st woman was made from a rib, or that Jesus was born of a virgin, my friend, you have taken leave of your senses. Because the bible is clearly full of hogwash regarding regarding these three things it can be safely impugned that it is not trustworthy about anything else.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 03:56
    If you believe the world was created in 6days, or that the 1st woman was made from a rib, or that Jesus was born of a virgin, my friend, you have taken leave of your senses. Because the bible is clearly full of hogwash regarding regarding these three things it can be safely impugned that it is not trustworthy about anything else.
    Do you have a theory on where everything came from?
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 06:421 edit
    Yes, the a day is like 1000 years to god, I've heard it before.

So when god said to Adam that if you will eat this apple, then you will be punished to death within the same day, then Adam can easily think "Phew, he doesn't mean that, because one day to him is like 1000 years to me. So I can chill out, enjoy the apple, and continue to do what I like. St Pete will say this thousands of years in the future, and therefore it must be true."

I, on the other hand say, you have to be very inventive, look for crossreferences everywhere in the bible, and you can believe anything in the bible, how proposterous it may seem in the beginning.

If the holy spirit inspired the writers of the bible, then its job isn't well done if it's not clear from the first reading.

Okay, you say for god is one day like 1000 years for us, right?
    So when God says to Noah that (Gen 7:4) in seven days (meaning 7 thousands of years, well after the lifespan of Noah) I will let it rain for 40 days and 40 nights (meaning 40 thousands of years, well after our times, and today the sky is blue).
    This is a prophecy, and if I interprete it your inventive way, then the result of this prophecy is not finished yet. Yet, the bible follows Noa's preparation for 7 thousands of years, and tells us what happened after 40 thousands of years of steady raining.
    Not only that, he tells us that the sky was clearing, and after 150 thousands of years later Noah say, or perhaps will see, the waters began to float away.

Do you still think that StPete was right about his words? Don't you see the inconsistancy here?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 14:07
    Yes, the a day is like 1000 years to god, I've heard it before.

So when god said to Adam that if you will eat this apple, then you will be punished to death within the same day, then Adam can easily think "Phew, he doesn't mean that, because one day to him is like 1000 years to me. So I can chill out, enjoy the apple, and continue to do what I like. St ...[text shortened]... still think that StPete was right about his words? Don't you see the inconsistancy here?
    Why is this so complicated to you? Do you as a human not use the term "Day" in different context when your describing a time period?
    If I were to say to you: Things were simpler in my "fathers Day!" Or: In "my Day" things were safer!" Or: In "Noah's Day" as the scripture says.
    Would you not have the intelligence to see the difference in meanings or would you be confused with that too?
    Again the obvious point is you don't want to acknowledge the Bible as being real so you decide to pick it apart with silly little things that even a "child" could understand. It really doesn't help you or others like you to be taken seriously on anything.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 14:10
    What a sad outlook on life and of God's creations around you...
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 15:55
    Why is this so complicated to you? Do you as a human not use the term "Day" in different context when your describing a time period?
    If I were to say to you: Things were simpler in my "fathers Day!" Or: In "my Day" things were safer!" Or: In "Noah's Day" as the scripture says.
    Would you not have the intelligence to see the difference in meanings or ...[text shortened]... . It really doesn't help you or others like you to be taken seriously on anything.
    For me a day is 24 hours. There is nothing else.
    For god it is sometimes 24 hours, sometimes it is 1000 years!
    No, I cannot believe that god cannot be consistent.

For a matematician 1+1 is always equal to 2. When I get a wrong reult on an exam, I cannot exuse it with, "Well, this time 1+1=3, so I'm right anyway."

So if StPete says "for god 1 day is 1000 years" than it's the same all over the bible, or never. Or esle you cannot trust anything there is.
    What will the next step be? That god said to man that "You ahalt not kill" and then it is sometimes okay to kill, an sometimes it is not?
    (Oh right, we are there already.)

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I'm not christian.

Now, we'll stick to the question: Is 1 day for god 1000years or is it not? Or can we chose whatever? Do we have more alternatives? That's the question for the day.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 16:24
    For me a day is 24 hours. There is nothing else.
    For god it is sometimes 24 hours, sometimes it is 1000 years!
    No, I cannot believe that god cannot be consistent.

For a matematician 1+1 is always equal to 2. When I get a wrong reult on an exam, I cannot exuse it with, "Well, this time 1+1=3, so I'm right anyway."

So if StPete says "for god 1 day i ...[text shortened]... an we chose whatever? Do we have more alternatives? That's the question for the day.
    Well christains as a whole do have the ablity to figure these things out. Others obvioulsy don't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree