1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:31
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

Wikipedia lists Christianity as having 2.1 billion members. Islam is second, with 1.5 billion. Do you know who's third? Go on, guess. It's the burgeoning 'Secularist/Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheist' group, with 1.1 billion people worldwide. Woo hoo!

Christianity 2.1 billion
    Islam 1.5 billion
    Secularism/irreligious/agnostic/atheism 1.1 billion
    Hinduism 900 million
    Chinese traditional religion 394 million
    Buddhism 376 million
    Animist religions 300 million
    African traditional/diasporic religions 100 million
    Sikhism 23 million
    Juche 19 million
    Spiritism 15 million
    Judaism 14 million
    Bahá'í Faith 7 million
    Jainism 4.2 million
    Shinto 4 million
    Cao Dai 4 million
    Zoroastrianism 2.6 million
    Tenrikyo 2 million
    Neo-Paganism 1 million
    Unitarian Universalism 800,000
    Rastafari Movement 600,000
    Scientology 25,000 to 55,000
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:51
    Originally posted by rwingett

Wikipedia lists Christianity as having 2.1 billion members. Islam is second, with 1.5 billion. Do you know who's third? Go on, guess. It's the burgeoning 'Secularist/Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheist' group, with 1.1 billion people worldwide. Woo hoo!

Christianity 2.1 billion
    Islam 1.5 billion ...[text shortened]... Unitarian Universalism 800,000
    1.1 billion people can't be wrong.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 22:38
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    1.1 billion people can't be wrong.
    Good to see less than 55,000 Scientollogists!! 😀

Dont belive the Christianity figure. My parents always put down CofE but were non-belivers. I remember putting CofE on my first job application (atheist was not an option)
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 02:35

Christianity 2.1 billion
    I'm lazy and didn't add it up, so can you tell me if those figures account for everyone on the planet?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 03:17
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm lazy and didn't add it up, so can you tell me if those figures account for everyone on the planet?
    The top eight add up to 6.77 billion. Are we that close to 7 billion?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 03:36
    Hoo Rah
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 08:37

Christianity 2.1 billion
    well if wikipedia says so it must be true.

do you know who enters the "Secularist/Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheist"? people unregistered in any religion. i might be considered in that group too because i haven't gone to church in a zilion years. and even then i haven't signed any guest book. that if they really base their statistic on something. more likely they simply get a statistic together which is really hard to do worldwide and put forth some numbers.

so first you would have to get a better source than wikipedia. then you would have to post how the study was made. and then you would have to draw some worthwile conclusion. "atheism is third" has what value exactly? that you lose to islam and christianity? that there are a lot of you? or it's simply spam?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 08:39
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Good to see less than 55,000 Scientollogists!! 😀

Dont belive the Christianity figure. My parents always put down CofE but were non-belivers. I remember putting CofE on my first job application (atheist was not an option)
    bad to see even 55k scientologists. i am a glass half empty kind of guy. well not really but in this case i am
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 09:15
    The top eight add up to 6.77 billion. Are we that close to 7 billion?
    Yeah, itts a good list. Thnx Rwingett. I'm sure you could loosely put me into one of those categories too, and really I wouldn't mind. But truth be known I'm not any of those.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 10:58
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

do you know who enters the "Secularist/Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheist"? people unregistered in any religion. i might be considered in that group too because i haven't gone to church in a zilion years. and even then i haven't signed any guest book. that if they really base their statistic on something. more likely ...[text shortened]... hat you lose to islam and christianity? that there are a lot of you? or it's simply spam?
    It has value because it wasn't that long ago persons could be executed for blasphemy. Take the case of poor old Thomas Aikenhead from 1697, a 19yr old student from Edinburgh who claimed amongst friends -

that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up partly of the moral doctrines of philosophers, and partly of poetical fictions and extravagant chimeras

He was hung. The Church of Scotlands General Assembly who could have spared his life urged vigorous execution to curb the abounding of impiety and profanity in this land.[/i]

Thankfully this doesn't happen anymore in the UK.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 13:021 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It has value because it wasn't that long ago persons could be executed for blasphemy. Take the case of poor old Thomas Aikenhead from 1697, a 19yr old student from Edinburgh who claimed amongst friends -

that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up partly of the moral doctrines of philosophers, and partly of poetical fictions ...[text shortened]... f impiety and profanity in this land.

i dont think that he was particularly irreligious Noobster, although i could be wrong, was he not specifically anti trinitarian? there is a monument to him at Dumbarton castle, which i have visited.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 13:03
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

do you know who enters the "Secularist/Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheist"? people unregistered in any religion. i might be considered in that group too because i haven't gone to church in a zilion years. and even then i haven't signed any guest book. that if they really base their statistic on something. more likely ...[text shortened]... hat you lose to islam and christianity? that there are a lot of you? or it's simply spam?
    The point is that atheists are among the fastest growing segments of the world population and that they will continue to grow. The various sundry religions of the world are losing the battle for the hearts and minds of its populace. It is only a matter of time before their superstitious and supernatural falderal becomes increasingly less common. The Dark Ages are finally coming to an end.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 13:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i dont think that he was particularly irreligious Noobster, although i could be wrong, was he not specifically anti trinitarian? there is a monument to him at Dumbarton castle, which i have visited.
    Sorry i forget to post the website.

http://www25.uua.org/uuhs/duub/articles/thomasaikenhead.html
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 13:15
    Is Jehovas Wittnes so few that they're not even in the list?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 13:39
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up partly of the moral doctrines of philosophers, and partly of poetical fictions ...[text shortened]... f impiety and profanity in this land.

so the fact that people don't get hung anymore because they are atheist has what to do with there being so many atheists? (ignoring the fact he still hasn't produced some info on how the study was made)

by your argument, scientologists should and will get hung until they number a billion or so. it has nothing to do that we in general are more tolerant of different ideas.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree