1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:071 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    So you think that: “In the beginning was the ‘word’ and the ‘word’ was with god and the ‘word’ was god” is not complex linguistics? I suggest that would just be because you are familiar with that particular linguistics—and not necessarily because you understand it (though you might assume that your understanding is superior to others that have been historically put forth).
    That is an incorrect assumption; I do think it is complex linguistics. But you won't find me making it more complicated than it already may be, which is my point. As I'm sure (I think) you are aware.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That is an incorrect assumption; I do think it is complex linguistics. But you won't find me making it more complicated than it already may be, which is my point. As I'm sure you are actually aware.
    Ah. So, whatever level of complexity is necessary to the point.

I just don't see that Buddhist linguistics is, as a whole, unnecessarily complex (compared to, say, Christian linguistics).

So we're not really arguing about anything . . .
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:19
    Ah. So, whatever level of complexity is necessary to the point.

I just don't see that Buddhist linguistics is, as a whole, unnecessarily complex (compared to, say, Christian linguistics).

So we're not really arguing about anything . . .
    Complexity isn't really the issue for me per se, although I do feel that ideas are most effectively shared when presented with the listener in mind; and I do like the da Vinci quote. No, my issue is with the motive for the complexity which is why it may be a prickly subject.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 06:291 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Complexity isn't really the issue for me per se, although I do feel that ideas are most effectively shared when presented with the listener in mind; and I do like the da Vinci quote. No, my issue is with the motive for the complexity which is why it may be a prickly subject.
    Agreed. But I am unable to assign motive just based on which religion/philosophy we’re talking about. As a Buddhist (of—likely heretical—sorts) I have no interest at all in promoting unnecessary complexity. But I also will not sacrifice integrity to simplicity—which might explain the long-winded character of my posts generally.

As I have taken great pains to emphasize, my Buddhism is Zen. What do you want to know?

EDIT: I just noted both our replies to Amelia Triola on her Dad's death. Man, maybe we should--always--just let that be where it's at. ???
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 07:09
    Agreed. But I am unable to assign motive just based on which religion/philosophy we’re talking about. As a Buddhist (of—likely heretical—sorts) I have no interest at all in promoting unnecessary complexity. But I also will not sacrifice integrity to simplicity—which might explain the long-winded character of my posts generally.

As I have taken great p ...[text shortened]... a Triola on her Dad's death. Man, maybe we should--always--just let that be where it's at. ???
    Absolutely agree, to your first point. I spend most of my time here "arguing" with those who support or create a Christian complexity in the shape of the denominational factions, cults and convoluted doctrine.

To your second point, yes I would support with that position, if there was none lower. There is for example, that biblical scripture which tells me that 'the cross of Christ is foolishness to some and a stumbling block to others'; here is a position of required complexity within a simple statement, and one which I would not acquiesce.

To your edit, I also agree.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 07:322 edits
    Exactly the problem I face when trying to translate Zen into everyday language (with Bosse’s comments to your post well-noted). But your point (or Orwell’s point?) would be closer to what we’re talking about if you did the same kind of translation to, say, Dylan Thomas’ “Fern Hill” (with its rich metaphors that would need to be rendered, and explaine ...[text shortened]... ink at the end—and probably better than any “Zen: A Brief Introduction” kind of book.

Cheers.
    For the analytically bent, I'd heartily recommend Garfield's translation and commentary The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way (http://bit.ly/1emjepm), being the translation that's probably the closest I'll ever get to Nargajuna.

And of course Wittgenstein, who for me (and I may be entirely wrong about this) is European Zen. In a manner of speaking. For there is no Zen, no Buddhism ... I'm so glad I'm not a Buddhist.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 08:10
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Also, given that whether or not people believe in the religion has real world
    consequences, whether it is true or false, it has degrees of medium importance
    from that perspective alone.

So the quote is entirely and completely wrong.

The only level of importance it can have is medium.*

*given a choice between 0, medium, and infinite.)
    Yes, and furthermore the point over here is that We argue about a specific level of importance that We are implying in a pattern created by our own mind; in other words, such an importance is always mind-dependent and, as such, it lacks of inherent being😵
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 08:28
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    For the analytically bent, I'd heartily recommend Garfield's translation and commentary The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way (http://bit.ly/1emjepm), being the translation that's probably the closest I'll ever get to Nargajuna.

And of course Wittgenstein, who for me (and I may be entirely wrong about this) is European Zen. In a manner of speaking. For there is no Zen, no Buddhism ... I'm so glad I'm not a Buddhist.
    Garfield's work is fine, yes, the Dispeller of Disputes smiles; and Wittgenstein is too advanced.

Is there Zen? What a noise -and your dirty boots in my mind😵
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 10:03
    Is Brahms’ fourth symphony true? Or false? Is it a genuine symphony?

Is Robert Graves poem “Warning to Children” true? Or false? Is it genuine poetry?

Is the Voluspa (part of Norse mythology, in the Elder Edda) true? Or false? Is it a genuine myth?

To read poetry as if it were just prose (e.g. descriptive prose) falsifies it [i]as poetr ...[text shortened]... a case, that I read a book first—or something like that—how should I feel offended or insulted?
    Thankyou, This reply is actually helpful.

Is Brahms’ fourth symphony true? Or false? Is it a genuine symphony?

Is Robert Graves poem “Warning to Children” true? Or false? Is it genuine poetry?

Is the Voluspa (part of Norse mythology, in the Elder Edda) true? Or false? Is it a genuine myth?

To read poetry as if it were just prose (e.g. descriptive prose) falsifies it as poetry—as what it is and is intended as.

To treat myth as if it were literal history falsifies it as myth—as what it is and is intended as.

Just as to treat, say, a paper on physics in a scientific journal as myth, falsifies it as science—without regard to whether or not the conclusions of the paper are ultimately found to be true.

Ok, Now I understand the intention, this is all I needed.

EDIT: Of course, none of these are falsified as such, except under the falsifying treatment. And it doesn't matter whether it is "believers" or "disbelievers" who insist that myth is (or ought to be treated as) literal, factual history: they are both treating it as something that it is not. There may or may not be propositional truth claims buried in a given mythology--but they have been mythologized (e.g., via symbol or metaphor), and identifying them may be neither simple nor non-controversial (what does this myth reallymean, or intend?).

Um, I think you are rather miss-characterising the argument that goes on between atheists and theists.

It is the theists, the believers that (in some cases) insist upon viewing the myth as genuine history.
    I, like other atheists, view it as myth.

We only use arguments that treat it as literal history to demonstrate that it doesn't match up with reality
    and to demonstrate that it is in fact myth. [I.E. it isn't true, and didn't/couldn't actually happen]

So less of "a pox on all your houses" please.

I know the bible stories are myths, although I might argue about whether or not they were originally intended
    as myths. I don't think you can attribute motives to the writers that definitively.

However where there are "propositional truth claims" in a myth, or claimed "propositional truth claims" or
    claims of moral meaning or truth, then those claims can be analysed and found true or false, or unproven, ect.

“How is that hard to imagine?” Did you give it any consideration before making your argument (a bit more than just a question there)? Or did that bit of snark at the end indicate that you can’t really be bothered about domains of discourse outside your own, or how they might be analyized? Well, if you have no interest, that’s surely no offense (how could it be?)—seriously.

Yes, I did give it some consideration, and there was no snark. You are reading too much tone into a question that wasn't there.
    If I couldn't be bothered with 'domains outside my own' [and what IS my domain btw, and how would you know what is and isn't in it?]
    I wouldn't have asked the question.

I was interested and that's why I asked. the only emotion in my question was confusion.

Just for the record, I have no qualms about holding conversations with like-minded people on a subject that we are acquainted with, without feeling any requirement (as a matter of ethics or courtesy) to catch anyone else up who shows up—on a forum where anyone can start another thread, or participate in another conversation, if they wish. Almost every thread that gets started on here ends up in multiple non-intersecting conversations; sometimes there seems to be deliberate hijacking, but often not. I almost always use the “reply and quote” option to direct my responses, unless I really am making a general comment.

There are discussions in the Science Forum that I could not possibly take part in without forcing others (e.g., you and sonhouse) to dumb it down to where they would likely no longer be able to discuss the topic at a level that interests them (that led to the topic thread in the first place). If someone suggests, in such a case, that I read a book first—or something like that—how should I feel offended or insulted?

The fact that you have no qualms doing it doesn't mean it isn't rude. Just that you don't care.

And for the record, I am always (as are others) more than happy to explain concepts in science to those genuinely interested
    at whatever level necessary. I only take issue with people like RJHinds on the science forums because I spent years trying
    to explain things to him which he totally ignored. If there is anything that your interested in that you don't get in science
    and I can help [because I am by no means the most knowledgeable person in the science forum] then I am more
    than happy to.

If I wanted to discuss science only with people who studied it in depth then I would find a forum built for that purpose.
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:093 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Thankyou, This reply is actually helpful.

[quote]Is Brahms’ fourth symphony true? Or false? Is it a genuine symphony?

To read poetry as if it were just ...[text shortened]... ience only with people who studied it in depth then I would find a forum built for that purpose.
    Um, I think you are rather miss-characterizing the argument that goes on between atheists and theists.

If I intended that as a generalization, I would be, no doubt. I think I left you with the impression elsewhere that I was accusing you of that error—my fault for not being clear; I apologize. But I have both witnessed and participated in a lot of those arguments over the years on here, and it has become one of my pet peeves when an atheist adopts essentially the same position as a biblical literalist vis-à-vis the nature of the texts, only to show how stupid the texts (and their authors) are. Yeah, it really has happened, or it wouldn’t be a peeve of mine. [And I do recognize that often the atheist is simply adopting the biblical literalist's premise to deconstruct it; I of course have no peeve with that.]

I know the bible stories are myths, although I might argue about whether or not they were originally intended as myths. I don't think you can attribute motives to the writers that definitively.

A fair point. The biblical corpus contains a number of different literary genres. Although the author of the Yahwist narrative (embedded in the Torah among other strands by a later redactor)*, for example, likely would not know the word “myth” or its definition, her work has the signs of mythological story-telling, and appears to be of a sufficiently high literary quality as to support the thesis that the author knew what she was about in her use of symbol and metaphor, etc.**

However, I often prefer the less technical term “story”. Some of this stuff probably originated as something like campfire stories. The fact that our ancestors were ignorant of what science is able to tell us about how the universe works, does not mean that they necessarily took story, including various creation stories, as fact rather than—well, story. I think that would presume too much ignorance on the part of our forbears (and I am absolutely not accusing you of that). Did the Norse actually think that the first human was licked out of the primordial ice by some kind of cow? I don’t think so; I think that, absent the kind of knowledge that science imparts, they told stories that usually had some sort of understanding of the universe embedded in the symbols.

Yes, I did give it some consideration, and there was no snark. You are reading too much tone into a question that wasn't there.

Well, actually, then, I read too much into a question that was there: “How is that so hard to imagine?”.

Yeah, I read that as a snarky put-down to someone you later claimed was rude for not wishing to respond to you. I take your word that I was mistaken, and apologize. Aside from that, it seemed that I was clearly implicated in your accusation of rude behavior, based on how and when I might choose to respond (or not respond) to any post—I attempt to explain my disagreement with your understanding of rude behavior on a site such as this one below.

Re “domains of discourse”—I was unclear, and that was probably a poor choice of phrase. I meant the kind of discourse that characterizes, say, poetry as opposed to prose, or myth/story as opposed to logical inference. Wittgenstein’s term—“language games”—is better, and likely more accurate. Of course one can validly employ logical discourse to analyze the truth probability of what appears to be propositional truth-claim embedded in mythological symbolism—but in order to determine what, if any, such claim is actually being made, you have to analyze myth as myth, in terms of its own language game; the same for poetry, which is often another language game in which myth is cast.

Again, my fault for not being clear. [EDIT: I am not implying that you have no appreciation for poetry, myth, story, etc. Or that there would be some fault implied if you don't. We all have different aesthetic personalities, shaped however they've been shaped.]

The fact that you have no qualms doing it doesn't mean it isn't rude. Just that you don't care.

No, it means that I don’t think it’s necessarily rude (though I am capable of being rude). We just disagree over what constitutes—we could call it perhaps “the ethics of courtesy”—on a site like this one.

I know that you are often patient in explaining, at some level; but I don’t think that you have been rude when you have suggested reading material rather than summarizing its content as requested (which might lead to more errors of understanding as well). I think that someone who refuses to go to such sources, and who would insist instead that you teach them, in the context of a discussion thread on another subject, would be acting—rudely. I don’t think there’s any hard line there; it’s a judgment call.***

In sum, I don’t think that, because I post on here at all, I am thereby ethically obligated to respond to everyone who engages me at whatever level on whatever subject. If you still think that is rude, so be it. (And I do not mean that as snark; just my acceptance of a fact that I cannot change.)

* Following the conclusions of what is called “form criticism” here.

** I use “her” following literary critic Harold Bloom’s speculation in The Book of J; also his analysis of her literary skills.

*** Since I tend to be a reader of books, I often do not have ready on-line sources that I can recommend; so my reading suggestions may not be as accessible as others’.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:16

As I have taken great p ...[text shortened]... a Triola on her Dad's death. Man, maybe we should--always--just let that be where it's at. ???
    No complexity; A Black Tiger stole a Heart, a Green Dragon crossed the River😵
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:20
    Originally posted by black beetle
    No complexity; A Black Tiger stole a Heart, a Green Dragon crossed the River😵
    Explain yourself, rude boy! 😉

You've strayed too far from home:
    the autumn snowpack
    is melting from the lake.
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:24
    Explain yourself, rude boy! 😉

You've strayed too far from home:
    the autumn snowpack
    is melting from the lake.
    Strayed too far from home
    is a specific foal made of clay;
    Instead I 'm always at home, looking at the Dark Lake😵
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:31
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Strayed too far from home
    is a specific foal made of clay;
    Instead I 'm always at home, looking at the Dark Lake😵
    Home is empty
    you are empty
    the Dark Lake is empty—

Nevertheless,
    gray water and white snow.

All this is correct,

as is being at home,
    looking into the Dark Lake—

🙂
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 16:39
    Home is empty
    you are empty
    the Dark Lake is empty—

Nevertheless,
    gray water and white snow.

All this is correct,

as is being at home,
    looking into the Dark Lake—

🙂
    The one who acted
    is my own treasure;
    The one who reacted
    is your own treasure;
    and their use is instant. So how could we look outside😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree