1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    I knew you'd say that.

Don't blame God for what we do. We made this bed. Now we have to sleep in it.
    Damn that Adam and Eve. What were they thinking?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:41
    [b]I really don't want to believe.

I wonder what neural circuit produced that.[/b]
    Did you not read my post? I think I explained that I find the idea of a supernatural thing abhorent. That's why I don't want to believe.
    Of course, I recognise that's not good enough, so I use science as a basis to help support my belief.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:42
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I cant believe you're not grateful for all science has given us...
    Bigger bombs. Concrete covering everything. Wires stung out all over the landscape. polluted rivers, lakes, and skies. etc. etc. etc.

Nature is beautiful. Man is ugly.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:44
    Bigger bombs. Concrete covering everything. Wires stung out all over the landscape. polluted rivers, lakes, and skies. etc. etc. etc.

Its a work in progress, why not get more positive!!
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:44

We are nature, we are part of the fabric of this planet.

I thought God created man in his image, are you saying God is ugly?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:45
    Originally posted by amannion
    Did you not read my post? I think I explained that I find the idea of a supernatural thing abhorent. That's why I don't want to believe.
    Of course, I recognise that's not good enough, so I use science as a basis to help support my belief.
    I read your post.

It's too bad you feel that way. I mean about God. You don't know Him. If you did you'd change your mind.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:47
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    We are nature, we are part of the fabric of this planet.

I thought God created man in his image, are you saying God is ugly?
    Gonna get stupid now are you?

When did you rise to the level of defining what we are? Do you think you're God?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:51
    Gonna get stupid now are you?

When did you rise to the level of defining what we are? Do you think you're God?
    How is claiming that we are part of nature stupid? I've lost you.

Are we part of life on this planet? Are we part of the natural world? If yes is the answer to both questions then i would say that qualifies us as part of nature.

I'm not defining what we are, and even if i was i don't think you have to be God to do that. Just a little intelligence will do.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 01:06
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How is claiming that we are part of nature stupid? I've lost you.

Are we part of life on this planet? Are we part of the natural world? If yes is the answer to both questions then i would say that qualifies us as part of nature.

I'm not defining what we are, and even if i was i don't think you have to be God to do that. Just a little intelligence will do.
    The part about God being ugly was stupid.

Maybe you live in a city. If you ever get to spend much time in the country on a farm you'll learn the difference between nature and man.

It's not the same as what's on TV.

Nature has natural rhythms and doesn't deviate to far from it. Man on the other hand runs rampant destroying everything in sight.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 11:03
    The part about God being ugly was stupid.

Maybe you live in a city. If you ever get to spend much time in the country on a farm you'll learn the difference between nature and man.

It's not the same as what's on TV.

Nature has natural rhythms and doesn't deviate to far from it. Man on the other hand runs rampant destroying everything in sight.

I live in the countryside.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 11:12
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I just re-read a 2002 interview with experimental psychologist and cognitive scientist Steven Pinker by Reason magazine, in which he discusses his book "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature" (recently published at the time):

http://reason.com/archives/2002/10/01/biology-vs-the-blank-slate/

I have also read the book and found it to be ...[text shortened]... /pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/books/tbs/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blank_Slate
    Isn't it widely recognized that our genes affect our behaviour? Even if this is not deterministic and nurture also plays an important role, it still would not be blank slate.

(should I read the article first? đŸ˜” )
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 11:19
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I just re-read a 2002 interview with experimental psychologist and cognitive scientist Steven Pinker by Reason magazine, in which he discusses his book "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature" (recently published at the time):

http://reason.com/archives/2002/10/01/biology-vs-the-blank-slate/

I have also read the book and found it to be ...[text shortened]... /pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/books/tbs/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blank_Slate
    Can you explain why the "noble savage" myth plays a big part in religion? I see it as almost the opposite for many (proselytizing) religions.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 12:24
    I knew you'd say that.

Don't blame God for what we do. We made this bed. Now we have to sleep in it.
    I most certainly did not make this bed so don't include me in your collective 'we'. Either this bed came about by chance ie it just is, or God made it and put me in it, or possibly some alien came up with it, or maybe some mythical Adam and Eve brought it about, but whatever the alternative you choose, if God exists, then he put me here and supposedly could have chosen to put me somewhere else, so if God exists, I can put some of the blame on him.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 12:27
    Concrete covering everything.
    I think I pointed out to you before that that seems to be only the people where you live. Here in Africa, we don't cover everything in concrete.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 13:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think I pointed out to you before that that seems to be only the people where you live. Here in Africa, we don't cover everything in concrete.
    We just convert it all into golf estates.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree