1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 18:13
    What can we learn from Ted Haggard, the former president of the National Association of Evangelicals? It appears that he is acknowledging "some" truth to the accusations around his soliciting a male prostitute. He was influential in opposing same sex marriages, homosexuality, and various other causes of the conservative evangelical church.
  2. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 19:16
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    What can we learn from Ted Haggard, the former president of the National Association of Evangelicals? It appears that he is acknowledging "some" truth to the accusations around his soliciting a male prostitute. He was influential in opposing same sex marriages, homosexuality, and various other causes of the conservative evangelical church.
    ...yo...every christian who lives by the spirit is evangelical...yo...
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 20:14
    He protested too much, no?

Yeah, he says that he was using drugs and got a 'massage' from this guy. The prostitute, however,
    claims that it was a three-year relationship.

Priceless.
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 20:40
    "In general, it is a strange demand on a moralist that he should commend no other virtue than that which he himself possesses."

-- Schopenhauer
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 20:55
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    "In general, it is a strange demand on a moralist that he should commend no other virtue than that which he himself possesses."

-- Schopenhauer
    "But, my good brother, do not , as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven; whiles. like a puff'ed and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads, and recks not his own rede (follows not his own counsel)."

Shakespeare, from Hamlet
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 23:35
    That pride comes before a fall? There's no business like show business? Birds of a feather stick together? Oh, we give up! What lessons can we learn from Ted Haggard, the former president of the NAE, in this open challenge to his integrity? Hmm?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 00:07
    It just means he has no excuse, he says he knows right from wrong
    therefore, if that guys does not get saved he will stand in his own
    righteousness condemned.
    Kelly
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 00:08
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That pride comes before a fall? There's no business like show business? Birds of a feather stick together? Oh, we give up! What lessons can we learn from Ted Haggard, the former president of the NAE, in this open challenge to his integrity? Hmm?
    I like what I'm hearing so far. The prohibition seems to be the invitation to many of these evangelicals.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 00:09
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It just means he has no excuse, he says he knows right from wrong
    therefore, if that guys does not get saved he will stand in his own
    righteousness condemned.
    Kelly
    Oh, I think he is "saved" alright. It's his behavior that is the issue.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 00:13
    I like what I'm hearing so far. The prohibition seems to be the invitation to many of these evangelicals.
    While it is an easy target--- the self-righteous legalist--- the quiet killer is the elusive self.
  11. Sydney
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 02:06
    Oh, I think he is "saved" alright. It's his behavior that is the issue.
    His behaviour? Nah, man. He was just trying to evangelise the whores. Just like Jesus did.

Maybe Jesus just likes hearing people shout his name...
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 02:09
    Originally posted by JRambo
    His behaviour? Nah, man. He was just trying to evangelise the whores. Just like Jesus did.

Maybe Jesus just likes hearing people shout his name...
    But they were "same sex" whores. That makes it sinful.
  13. Sydney
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 03:14
    But they were "same sex" whores. That makes it sinful.
    😲 Oh no!
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 03:582 edits
    Whether or not the man believes what he preaches and went against those beliefs or whether he preaches what he does not really believe, either way I find the whole scenerio a very sad affair. As far as his ministry goes, I think it safe to assume that it is through. It is a humbling reminder or the price of sin and of hypocrisy. If any good can come of this I say that good is that the man has the oppurtunity to realize his shortcomings now and atone for them now than to go to his grave without doing so. It also should wake up those that choose traverse a similar path as he chose.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 07:17
    I first became aware of Mr. Haggard when I saw the movie, Jesus Camp. He was prominently featured in parts of it. A sanctimonious evangelist if ever there was one. So you can scarcely imagine the delight I found in seeing his recent fall from grace. Especially since it comes a mere week before the midterm elections. Maybe there is hope after all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree