1. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 16:41
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No.

Religion and science can never mix.
    who said anything about mixing?

the question is whether they can coexist.
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 18:35
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    who said anything about mixing?

the question is whether they can coexist.
    Sorry replying to lots of people on this post.

Yes Catholics are free to choose, but should choose to be creationists.

No most Catholics always have and always will obey the Pope.

Yes but a Ape can never comprehend that 2+2=4.

No God's control of all.

They can coexist but shouldn't

Yes I'm catholic
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 21:40
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Well, technically we are apes - you and me. We are in the Ape family. So can you never comprehend that 2+2=4?

Apes have been able to learn to communicate with humans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_ape_language

... how do you really know that they couldn't comprehend that 2+2 =4 ??

New research in Science reveals that children and apes are on par when it comes to straight numerical and spatial abilities, but when they're tested on social learning, the children excel.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=DC374F21-E7F2-99DF-39889C0916C47A34

This is just one study so it's not conclusive, but still... it's evidence that apes share some skills with us.
  4. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 22:45
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Well, technically we are apes - you and me. We are in the Ape family. So can you never comprehend that 2+2=4?

Apes have been able to learn to communicate with humans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_ape_language

... how do you really know that they couldn't comprehend that 2+2 =4 ??

[i]New research in Science reveals that children and ape ...[text shortened]... tudy so it's not conclusive, but still... it's evidence that apes share some skills with us.
    They share some skills with us, but we are not in the ape family, no genetic blood-relation no "missing link", Genesis, chapter 2, verse 20; "And Adam called all the beasts by their names, and all the fowls of the air, and all the cattle of the field: but for Adam there not found a helper like himself".
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 23:191 edit
    They share some skills with us, but we are not in the ape family, no genetic blood-relation no "missing link", Genesis, chapter 2, verse 20; "And Adam called all the beasts by their names, and all the fowls of the air, and all the cattle of the field: but for Adam there not found a helper like himself".
    How about a factual reference? I.e. not the bible.

We are in the ape family - the evidence doesn't lie.
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 02:08
    How about a factual reference? I.e. not the bible.

We are in the ape family - the evidence doesn't lie.
    What evidence?
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 04:19
    What evidence?
    Seek and ye shall find.
  8. England
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 08:38
    None of that explains any kind of flaw in evolution.

We humans have gained knowledge... how does that mean that we are not an animal? We use tools and there are apes that also have the knowledge to use tools - yes, they aren't as complex, but they also have shown the ability to learn just like us.

Animals have adapted and yes, we have adapted - so that's a similarity, not a difference.
    adapted to feed themselves not to learn.
  9. England
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 08:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    His seven days is our seven days too.
    Kelly
    no its not. we go by a 24 hour clock, set by the rotation of the earth. our lives are short. god needs no time scale and is eternal, so his day is not our day, i think the planet jupiter [tho someone will correct me if i am wrong] takes more than 24 hous to rotate, about 48 to my memory, that would be one day on that planet.
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 13:18
    Seek and ye shall find.
    "... Knock and it shall be opened to you, whatever you ask of the Lord He shall give it to you" (God didn't make aliens therefore He doesn't believe they exist because they don't).
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 15:24
    Sorry replying to lots of people on this post.

Yes Catholics are free to choose, but should choose to be creationists.

No most Catholics always have and always will obey the Pope.

No God's control of all.

They can coexist but shouldn't

Yes I'm catholic
    1. you gotta be retarded to be creationinst, because being creationist means you prefer to ignore science and live in ignorance.

2.well, you obviously don't.

3.who told you that? how do you know? some apes know how to play chess, did you know that?

4. "they can coexist but shouldn't" doesn't mean anything. are you saying that its ok to believe in science but at the same time it isn't? make your mind up.

5. and yet you prefer to act like an evangelical, hmm, how strange.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 16:56
    Originally posted by stoker
    adapted to feed themselves not to learn.
    Your answer doesn't make sense.

They have tools and learned to use and make them.

I'm not saying that we aren't the smartest creatures on earth, but it's a lie to say that other animals can't learn or can't make tools.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 16:57
    (God didn't make aliens therefore He doesn't believe they exist because they don't).
    Hilarity. Pure hilarity.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 21:42
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    1. you gotta be retarded to be creationinst, because being creationist means you prefer to ignore science and live in ignorance.

2.well, you obviously don't.

3.who told you that? how do you know? some apes know how to play chess, did you know that?

4. "they can coexist but shouldn't" doesn't mean anything. are you saying that its ok to believe ...[text shortened]... make your mind up.

5. and yet you prefer to act like an evangelical, hmm, how strange.

I have to disagree on that point. Most ordinary people do not accept evolution on intellectual grounds, weighing the evidence. I sure did not. I am probably just as misinformed as any creationist. So whether or not someone rejects evolutionary theory is not really an accurate measure of their intelligence. Most people just accept it on the basis of faith that scientists have conducted their research thoroughly and objectively.

If we were to accuse creationists of anything it would have to be just sheer arrogance and lack of intellectual integrity. If you are ignorant about a topic and have not read the arguments on both sides, but then loud-mouthedly decry your own opinion in the face of learned opposition, then you are just being arrogant. There must be a lot of hubris in someone who says that the biologists, who have spent years on training and research, are wrong.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    19 Jul '09 10:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    His seven days is our seven days too.
    Kelly
    On the 4th day, God created the Sun, Moon and Stars. So, 3 days and nights passed before the Earth ever made a single revolution around the Sun.

That's the first suggestion that God's days are not our days.

The second suggestion is from the lips of St. Peter:

"But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

That seems to imply that God's time and our time are not even comparable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree