1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 23:25
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Catholics are free to choose whichever side on the evolutionary debate, even if modern popes have accepted evolutionary theory.
    I guess Catholics have a long history of ignoring what the Pope says.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 23:28
    Yes they can coexist and they do
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 00:27
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I guess Catholics have a long history of ignoring what the Pope says.
    Quite different. Pope John Paul explicitly said that Catholics may choose and that evolutionary theory is the object of scientific enquiry, not religious doctrine. A Catholic would not be ignoring the Pope if he rejected evolutionary theory.
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 01:491 edit
    I hope I'm not repeating what someone else said, but I doubt I am.

Creationism and Evolution can coexist, as long as the traditional, mainstream understanding of the Bible is completely shattered.

For example, some good, scholarly (almost too scholarly to the point of being difficult to muddle through) reading that involves some fringe thinking is the series of books written by Zecharia Sitchin, involving the so-called "12th Planet." Put very generally and going by memory which is starting to fade in my old age, it goes like this:

There is a 12th planet (sun, moon, venus and others add up to 11) in our solar system that has a very ellyptical orbit. One orbit around our sun last 3,600 years but for almost that entire 3,600 years, the planet is far away... our solar system as we know it is basically at the bottom of it's football shaped orbit. So anyway, there is a race of beings called the Annunaki on the planet and they visited our planet when it entered our known solar system, thousands of years ago. By the way all this is corroborated in the myths, epics, and poetry recorded by the Sumerians, who, Sitchin alledges, weren't dummies with fanciful imaginations but instead were recording history. One striking example of their astronomical knowledge is they carved a picture of all the planets in our solar system... how did they know to do that? But oh yeah, they not only carved all 11 of our planets but included a 12th planet.

One possible, supposed link between the Old Testament Scripture and Sumerian texts is the term "Nephilim." As you may recall, the nephilim visited our Earth and things got so horrible, God created the flood. But the term Nephilim, rather than being interpreted as "giants" in the Bible, actually means "those who came down from above." And in the Sumerian texts they are referred to as the inhabitants of the 12th planet, NIBIRU, and they are the Annunaki.

Anyway as the Sumerians describe in cuneiform and Sitchin (being one of the few who can) interprets... the Annunaki needed the gold found on this planet to coat their depleting atmosphere or else their species would die. But they couldn't mine the gold they need fast enough, only being close enough to us for a short period every 3,600 years... so they mixed their DNA with the apes and created a slave race. Mankind. And we did their work and their bidding.

And so on and so on. It's fascinating and I struggle with it as a Christian but I can't discount it entirely... I just can't.

By the way a great corroboration and vindication for Zecharia Sitchin is, he described the planet Neptune (as recorded by the Sumerians who learned from the Annunaki) as a blue-green watery planet. Such a thing was ridiculous sounding to mainstream science, but, he made the bold statement in the 70's BEFORE our satellite reached the planet and sent back photos.. proving him... and the Sumerians... absolutely correct.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 03:18
    Originally posted by sumydid

Creationism and Evolution can coexist, as long as the traditional, mainstream understanding of the Bible is completely shattered.

For example, some good, scholarly (almost too scholarly to the point of being difficult to muddle through) reading that involves some fringe thinking ...[text shortened]... t and sent back photos.. proving him... and the Sumerians... absolutely correct.
    Some Christians think the Bible is really a complete history of the universe. Even a central figure Christ is poorly represented. The Bible only contains about 3 years of his adult life. Who knows all the places Christ may have travelled and who he preached to? The truth about that will be interesting, as is the truth about how we got here ! So there is nothing to struggle with, and its worth keeping an open mind.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 04:34
    Originally posted by sumydid

For example, some good, scholarly (almost too scholarly to the point of being difficult to muddle through) reading that involves some fringe thinking ...[text shortened]... t and sent back photos.. proving him... and the Sumerians... absolutely correct.
    This sounds interesting as a sci-fi story, but credible in real life? Nah.
  7. England
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 09:55
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Ok.. it's your belief... so what? How is that an argument?

I mean that the theory of evolution isn't a theory that somehow applies to all animals other than humans - it applies to humans too since we are also animals.

It's logically inconsistent to suggest that evolution is valid for the rest of life, but not humans. It's also completely inconsistent with the evidence.
    its a theory.... my point is how come we as humans gained knowledge this does not apply to animals, so the evolution theory is flawed. Animals seem to have changed to suit there needs, we on the other hand adapted to suit our needs. No matter what animal you name only man knows how. and has learnt to bury its dead, the first sign of knowledge
  8. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 10:092 edits
    Originally posted by stoker
    its a theory.... my point is how come we as humans gained knowledge this does not apply to animals, so the evolution theory is flawed. Animals seem to have changed to suit there needs, we on the other hand adapted to suit our needs. No matter what animal you name only man knows how. and has learnt to bury its dead, the first sign of knowledge
    …my point is how come we as humans gained knowledge this does not apply to animals, so the evolution theory is flawed.

Our ability to “gained knowledge” is a result of evolving large brains -in what way does this show evolution to be “flawed“? -can you elaborate on your line of logical reasoning here?

…Animals seem to have changed to suit there needs, we on the other hand adapted to suit our needs. No matter what animal you name only man knows how.
    ….

This is because we evolving large brains that gave us that specific ability to adapt -there is no logical inconsistency here with the theory of evolution for ability to adapt is advantages to our survival and passing on our genes thus it makes perfect sense that natural selection would select for this.

Also, certain other animals have also evolved some of this ability to adapt.
    For example, chimpanzees in the wild have been seen to make a simple stick-tool to probe out termites out of a small hole to eat them etc.
    This was learned rather than coming from blind instinct.
  9. England
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 10:492 edits
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…my point is how come we as humans gained knowledge this does not apply to animals, so the evolution theory is flawed.

Our ability to “gained knowledge” is a result of evolving large brains -in what way does this show evolution to be “flawed“? -can you elaborate on your line of logical reasoning here?

…Animals seem to have change ...[text shortened]... s out of a small hole to eat them etc.
    This was learned rather than coming from blind instinct.
    Evolving brains, is what happened, but that does not explain the great diference between us and animals, if knowledge serves me right we are not the animal with the biggest brain. so why did not these learn, similar to us.
    a theroy is only accepted untill disproven. god can not be disproven not matter what any one says. tho we can unbelive.
    chimps etc earn from there parents, as most animals seem to, but they still in the same time period as we humans only learn to search feed not to develope beyond this. we have and still are takeing from the tree of knowledge.
  10. Joined
    18 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 12:20
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Evolution is against the theory that God made the Earth so no.
    Oh FFS. Evolution has NOTHING AT ALL to do with how the Earth was created. It is to do with how living creatures adapt and change over time.

Also, it has Feck all to do with HOW life started
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 12:46
    None of that explains any kind of flaw in evolution.

We humans have gained knowledge... how does that mean that we are not an animal? We use tools and there are apes that also have the knowledge to use tools - yes, they aren't as complex, but they also have shown the ability to learn just like us.

Animals have adapted and yes, we have adapted - so that's a similarity, not a difference.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 14:07
    yes, as christians belive god created the world in 7 of his days [not ours] this would explain the time of evolution, man was in the garden for a time but then god thought man needed company hence eve. still no death. that could have been a very, very long time, then the down fall, man cast on earth. with the knowledge he had gained by his sin. this would fit into our understanding of how we gained knowledge above all animals and still have
    His seven days is our seven days too.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 15:20
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    His seven days is our seven days too.
    Kelly
    Our day is based on the measurement of how long it takes for the earth to revolve.

On which day was earth and the sun created? If there was a day before that then how was that measured since the earth didn't exist to measure one revolution.
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 15:54
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Evolution is against the theory that God made the Earth so no.
    has it ever occured to you that God made the earth with processes like evolution?
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 16:32
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Can Creationism and Evolution coexist?
    No.

Religion and science can never mix.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree