1. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    1772
    26 Jan '07 10:03
  2. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Joined
    16 Dec '06
    Moves
    42778
    26 Jan '07 10:09
    Since there is no post here, I'll answer the title: No (unless you're talking about God the Son, who's father is God the Father. God the Father cannot have an ol' man.)
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 Jan '07 10:10
    Originally posted by hakaman
    If you are referring to a Biological relationship then clearly not. If you are using the word father to mean something else then please define it or we cant answer the question (except by realizing that as God does not exist he could not have a father)
  4. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    1772
    26 Jan '07 10:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you are referring to a Biological relationship then clearly not. If you are using the word father to mean something else then please define it or we cant answer the question (except by realizing that as God does not exist he could not have a father)
    thats my point
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    1005
    26 Jan '07 10:24
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    Since there is no post here, I'll answer the title: No (unless you're talking about God the Son, who's father is God the Father. God the Father cannot have an ol' man.)
    He can have a son but not a father. Makes sense.
  6. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Joined
    16 Dec '06
    Moves
    42778
    26 Jan '07 10:34
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    He can have a son but not a father. Makes sense.
    God's a supernatural being. He doesn't need a father. Jesus is his son in spirit, even though God didn't have sex with Mary to concieve a baby.
  7. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    1772
    26 Jan '07 11:33
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    God's a supernatural being. He doesn't need a father. Jesus is his son in spirit, even though God didn't have sex with Mary to concieve a baby.
    but does he want a father,
  8. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Joined
    16 Dec '06
    Moves
    42778
    26 Jan '07 11:35
    Originally posted by hakaman
    but does he want a father,
    Sorry. I've never read his diary.
  9. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    1772
    26 Jan '07 11:37
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    Sorry. I've never read his diary.
    never read the bible ? strange
  10. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Joined
    16 Dec '06
    Moves
    42778
    26 Jan '07 11:41
    Originally posted by hakaman
    never read the bible ? strange
    Since when is the Bible God's innermost thoughts?
  11. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    1772
    26 Jan '07 11:49
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    Since when is the Bible God's innermost thoughts?
    who wrote the bible
  12. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    1772
    26 Jan '07 11:54
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    Since when is the Bible God's innermost thoughts?
    so when the bible describes the creation of the earth from whose mouth did it come from
  13. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36068
    26 Jan '07 12:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    (except by realizing that as God does not exist he could not have a father)
    That's fallacious logic. E.g.:

    Q: "Did Frodo Baggins have a father?"
    A: "Since Frodo Baggins never existed, he doesn't have a father".

    The question is whether the concept of "God" is incompatible with the concept of "having a father".
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 Jan '07 13:07
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    That's fallacious logic. E.g.:

    Q: "Did Frodo Baggins have a father?"
    A: "Since Frodo Baggins never existed, he doesn't have a father".

    The question is whether the concept of "God" is incompatible with the concept of "having a father".
    Not as fallacious as you claim. Frodo Baggins does not have a father in the sense that no father of Frodo Baggins has ever existed.
    The question "does God have a father" presumes the existence of God.

    However, there is absolutely no point in discussing whether the concept of "God" is incompatible with the concept of "having a father" as neither concept is well defined enough to make conclusions about their compatibility.
  15. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36068
    26 Jan '07 14:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not as fallacious as you claim. Frodo Baggins does not have a father in the sense that no father of Frodo Baggins has ever existed.
    The question "does God have a father" presumes the existence of God.
    Actually the title question is "Can God have a father?"
Back to Top