1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 17:501 edit
    let's say today you find out you have cancer and have only a week to live, so off you go to church to pray to god in the hope he'll heal you... two questions...

taking into account eight thousand africans die each day of starvation, why should you get priority?

if you had lost your legs instead would you had prayed to god to put your legs back, if not why not?
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 18:212 edits
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    let's say today you find out you have cancer and have only a week to live, so off you go to church to pray to god in the hope he'll heal you... two questions...

taking into account eight thousand africans die each day of starvation, why should you get priority?

if you had lost your legs instead would you had prayed to god to put your legs back, if not why not?
    I don't know about God, but I've seen Benny Hinn beat the hell out of some cripples until they could get up out of their wheelchairs and walk again. However, I've never seen even him regenerate any amputated limbs.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 20:251 edit

I believe in some kind of placebo effect. So certainly anything can heal if the patient believes in it.

When I have a cold, my girlfriend always tell me that I'm going to be well again. Until now, she have never been wrong. She is a good healer. Placebo or not.

However, cancer, a lost leg, or AIDS - always go to the doctor, never rely solely on a healer, not even god. Placebo doesn't always work, even if you believe in it.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 21:15
    The televangelists I have seen have a remarkable ability to cure the terrible affliction of loss of smell.

But what we should really be asking, is to what extent does God cause disease in the first place and to what extent does he selectively prevent it. Surely with Gods foresight he would cure a disease before you got it unless he planned to let you suffer a bit to teach you some lesson.
    So maybe he is keeping people well all the time and we never even notice. Or maybe he is runing round spreading HIV and triggering cancer. What I do know is that if there is a difference between the health of believers and non-believers it is small enough to be attributed to many other possible explanations.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 14:56
    Jesus knew Reiki
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 23:43

You have erred in assuming it must be an either/or situation. I don't know about you, but I can pray for the starving millions, the thousands of AIDS infected, the myriad homeless, as well as my family, friends and even myself. And no one gets "priority"--as a Christian I pray that His will be done; sometimes that's not what I would have chosen.

As for the second comment, I don't see what's wrong with praying to God for ones legs to ve restored.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 23:47
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    As for the second comment, I don't see what's wrong with praying to God for ones legs to ve restored.
    Well, if you had nothing better to do.

I'd think your time would be better served to well, getting some exercise, watching TV, spending time with family.

There's nothing wrong with wasting your time sometimes too.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 01:01
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    ...getting some exercise...
    That's just rubbing it in. 😛
  9. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 02:52
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Yet why do we never see amputated legs restored? We hear of cancers in remission by faith, diseases cured by prayer, and even stories of the lame walking again. But never AFAIK, a case of legs that were completed removed by accident or disease, regrown. Why is that? Is there not one soldier or civilian in all of this world's war zones that prayer could not help give back their legs? Not one child who stepped on a land mine that a deity could have mercy on? Not one baby born with this birth defect that could not be cured?

And yet the television con-artists will keep telling you they have the power, they have the connection...send a little money folks and I'll put on a show for you and pay off my mortgage...oh, an amputated leg?....well just wait till after the cameras are off and I'll see what I can do...right now I have to listen to this testamonial about how I (oh, and the Lord) cured this man's asthma....can't ask the Lord to restore a missing leg...that would be testing him....book says not to do that...somebody get this cripple out of here.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    And yet the television con-artists will keep telling you they have the power, they have the connection...send a little money folks and I'll put on a show for you and pay off my mortgage...oh, an amputated leg?....well just wait till after the cameras are off and I'll see what I can do...
    As a Christian, I am outraged and embarrased by these frauds. Why don't Benny Hinn, et. al. just march into a cancer ward at any hospital with a pack of reporters and TV camera people in tow and cure everyone in the ward of their cancer? That would prove to everyone that these self-appointed "faith-healers" aren't frauds. But of course, we know that they'll never do that, because they ARE frauds!
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 23:25
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    As a Christian, I am outraged and embarrased by these frauds. Why don't Benny Hinn, et. al. just march into a cancer ward at any hospital with a pack of reporters and TV camera people in tow and cure everyone in the ward of their cancer? That would prove to everyone that these self-appointed "faith-healers" aren't frauds. But of course, we know that they'll never do that, because they ARE frauds!
    Amen!

People like faith healers and those others like John Edward make me wish there was a hell just so they can fry in it.
  12. Australia
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 06:58

I truely hope all theists put their trust in god to heal them when they become seriously ill, whilst the rest of us trust modern science.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 22:16
    I'm a firm believer in prayer: I pray I'll get to the hospital in time!
  14. Joined
    16 Aug '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 10:31
    I think that if there is a god who created humans and the universe, why put it past him to fix a minor defect, such as cancer? So yes I do believe in healing. I am a Christian and in the bible it says if you have un doubting faith then you will be healed. I think in terms of the africans dying thing, that is a product of free will. It is like that because of human choices, and yes I do belive that if they pray to God and believe in him he will be watching over them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree