1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 May '05 04:50

Now dear DoctorScribbles, what Bible do you intend to buy or use ?

It would be quite illuminating for us to inform us what your intentions are regarding the usage of your kind of Bible. Do you want to share this with us, dear Doctor ?
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 May '05 04:53
    Originally posted by bbarr
    lol. You're in rare form tonight.

Hi Bennett, thanks for the compliment. This reminds me of the good old times ......😀
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 May '05 04:54
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I really have no war to wage.

I've read through a typical annotated Bible. For some strange reason, the notes omitted many things that the SAB did not. Likewise, the SAB appears to omit many things that standard annotations do not.

For example, the SAB doesn't appear to examine the Hebrew and Greek behind the English. I suspect that with ...[text shortened]... ilarly, I suspect that the skeptical viewpoint can refute many of the traditional annotations.
    Pursuant to your examination, I would recommend the Roman Catholic Bible
    (the NAB) which, for the most part, is the most critical and annotated of all
    the 'theistic' Bibles, the one that is most attentative to original sources (and
    their problems), and the one with the most candid approach to the history of
    the Church.

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    12 May '05 04:54
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

I'm against the death penalty, but who cares ?

Do you have to be on the left to "allow" different interpretations of Bible texts ?
    Well obviously I care, or I would'nt have asked. I also believe that jesus cares. I also believe that God does'nt want us to kill each other.

I'm not sure about the second question as I've never actually met someone in real life who claims to be a religious righter, but from their behaviour on tv, I would say that the right is not open to different interpretations of anything.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 May '05 04:543 edits

Now dear DoctorScribbles, what Bible do you intend to buy or use ?

It would be quite illuminating for us to inform us what your intentions are regarding the usage of your kind of Bible. Do you want to share this with us, dear Doctor ?
    I already own a very small collection. I was hoping to buy a printed version of something like the SAB. My intentions would have been to read, understand and analyze the annotations, particularly those pertaining to contradictions. But apparently no such publications exist, so I have no immediate plans to purchase any.
  6. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    12 May '05 04:56
    I already own a very small collection. I was hoping to buy a printed version of something like the SAB. My intentions would have been to read, understand and analyze the annotations. But apparently no such publications exist, so I have no immediate plans to purchase any.
    Might I suggest you try an old mason bible then? You'll find the concordance to be very insightful. I have one and it weighs about 20 pounds.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:07
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Might I suggest you try an old mason bible then? You'll find the concordance to be very insightful. I have one and it weighs about 20 pounds.
    Life is too short to read 20 pound books.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:081 edit
    Well obviously I care, or I would'nt have asked. I also believe that jesus cares. I also believe that God does'nt want us to kill each other.

I'm not sure about the second question as I've never actually met someone in real life who cl ...[text shortened]... at the right is not open to different interpretations of anything.
    To tell you the truth, what I know of the American religious right is not very flattering for them. I have the strong impression Americans equate the American political religious right, Evangelists etc, with the Roman Catholic Church. That is an absurd and very superficial stance.

If people would care to read the social encyclicals they would notice immedately that the RC social doctrine isn't right winged at all, on the contrary.

I do not feel any kinship with the religious right Electronical Church in the USA whatsoever.

That's why I recommend people who want to get to know the real Christian Faith to study the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, not to choose some "anything goes" liberal church or the even more desastrous opposite of a rigid on fear based right winged nutcase church.
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:17
    Life is too short to read 20 pound books.
    But the concordance....I mean you'll never know what you've missed out on.
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:29
    If by 'Mason Bible' you mean the Bible used in the Masonic ceremonies of the Free and
    Accepted Masons, then it should be exactly the same as the King James Bible. The
    Bible is one of the three principal symbols of Freemasonry (along with the Square and
    Compass), a symbol that refers to the Divine Truth.

In recent years, many jurisdictions of Masons have included the Koran in their ritual in
    an effort to be more inclusive in their symbolism of the Divine. Initiates such jurisdictions
    can use whichever book they prefer in the course of the receipt of their degrees.

I've never seen nor heard of an 'annotated Mason Bible,' though. What is it annotated
    with? References to Hiram?

Nemesio
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:30
    That's why I recommend people who want to get to know the real Christian Faith to study the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, not to choose some "anything goes" liberal church or the even more desastrous opposite of a rigid on fear based right winged nutcase church.
    How does utter deference to the Magesterium differ from utter deference to the
    teaching Billy Graham?

Nemesio
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:34
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    How does utter deference to the Magesterium differ from utter deference to the
    teaching Billy Graham?

Nemesio
    The former tracks the truth, whereas the latter tracks merely one man's opinion.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:381 edit
    The former tracks the truth, whereas the latter tracks merely one man's opinion.

That meditation perennial thingy is working Bbarr. Keep up the good work !
  14. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:451 edit
    It has a concordance about the width of the bible part itself. In the middle column going down the center of the passages are numbers. On the bottom of the pages are links to pages of relevance in the concordance. Maybe I'm misunderstanding annotated, I may be, but this seems to be similiar to what the Dr. is asking for.

A way to cross reference words and their translations, and of course the reference to corresponding passages.

Have I missed the point again?

edit : I tried to quote and reply but it simply would'nt allow me to, this post is in answer to Nemesio's question.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 May '05 05:45
    Um, what gives the Magesterium a corner on the market of Truth?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree