Originally posted by twhitehead
    as far as I know only ever questioned by a small minority of theists.[/b]
    Then you are sadly uninformed.
  2. Joined
    01 Mar '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '08 17:23
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Maybe he finds it insulting that other people have incoherent world views. Maybe out of reverence
    for humankind, he feels obligated to see the incoherence in other people's world views. Maybe
    he loves the human condition so much that it pains him to see other people deluded with inter-
    contradictory hermeneutics.

Nemesio
    Nemesio,

I think you have most nearly hit the answer. It is because they want to be God and tell us what is right and not have us listening to Him.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '08 18:01
    Religious people tend to think that they believe in the same thing. That christianity is a homogenous religion. It is not!

So what is christianity? It is catholisism? Is it protestantism? Is it baptism or is it ones own varaiant that counts?

Christians tend to agree on eachother, but also fight eachother, even conduct war to eachother, and kill eachother in the name of god.

They call themselves believers, but cannot ever agree what belief they have in common.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '08 19:27
    Originally posted by dinosaurus
    Nemesio,

I think you have most nearly hit the answer. It is because they want to be God and tell us what is right and not have us listening to Him.
    That's not what he said.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 10:28
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Then you are sadly uninformed.
    Would you care to inform me then? What is your take on the matter?
  6. A State of Mind
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 23:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Religious people tend to think that they believe in the same thing. That christianity is a homogenous religion. It is not!

So what is christianity? It is catholisism? Is it protestantism? Is it baptism or is it ones own varaiant that counts?

Christians tend to agree on eachother, but also fight eachother, even conduct war to eachother, and kill each ...[text shortened]... f god.

They call themselves believers, but cannot ever agree what belief they have in common.
    There are, unfortunately, "creative Christians" in the world who believe that material prosperity is the key to faith. These CCs are the some of the most misinformed theologians on the planet. They sacrifice respect, reverence, and tradition for creativity, self-exhaltation, and a cafeteria "pick & choose" mentallity of faith. Divisions between Christian denominations finds this is the largest cause. Don't think, though, that because none of them are united that none of them are valid.
  7. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 16:03
    Originally posted by legochessmaniac
    There are, unfortunately, "creative Christians" in the world who believe that material prosperity is the key to faith. These CCs are the some of the most misinformed theologians on the planet. They sacrifice respect, reverence, and tradition for creativity, self-exhaltation, and a cafeteria "pick & choose" mentallity of faith. Divisions between Chr ...[text shortened]... use. Don't think, though, that because none of them are united that none of them are valid.
    material prosperity? sacrifice tradition?

How about the fact that the Catholic Church is the richest institution in the world?

How about the fact that the Vatican Councils changed traditions to make it easier to be Catholic?

How about the fact that the Pope is preparing to do so again now that Muslim has eclipsed Christianity as the most followed religion?

Please, get a clue. it's all about reaping the benefits for themselves by kicking you in the @ss and doing so in a way that you are thanking them for doing it!

The reason why there are so many sects in Christianity is because the clergy felt their grasp weakening and wanted to capitalize on fairly common beliefs held by Christians so that they can include more people instead of ostricizing them and thereby losing money and power.

I'm not saying that believing in God or Jesus or whatever is wrong. That's up to you to decide. I am saying that it's absurd to defend an institution that is so blatantly corrupt throughout history.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 16:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would you care to inform me then? What is your take on the matter?
    Have you seen Ben Stein's Expelled? Even before that movie, I knoew that people who work in scientific fields were often blackballed because they dared believe in anything other than the religion of Darwin.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 18:45
    Have you seen Ben Stein's Expelled? Even before that movie, I knoew that people who work in scientific fields were often blackballed because they dared believe in anything other than the religion of Darwin.
    Do you have any documented examples with actual conclusions that this is the specific reasons that they were "blackballed"?

Also, define blackballed? Do you just mean "not given tenure" or "didn't get a job" - because the term blackballed suggests blacklisted, which not getting tenure or not getting a job just doesn't qualify as being blacklisted.
  10. Gangster Land
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 20:13
    www.expelledexposed.com

The accuracy of Ben Stein's movie might actually be worse than the last Michael Moore polemic!
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 21:16
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    www.expelledexposed.com

The accuracy of Ben Stein's movie might actually be worse than the last Michael Moore polemic!
    Color me shocked. 😴
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 05:28
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    www.expelledexposed.com

As I said, "BEFORE I heard of (the movie)..." in knew of unfair practices against Christians. I didn't need Ben Stein to confirm it for me. But like it or not, people (some who were in the movie and MANY other nameless, faceless masses that were not, HAVE been bullied, injured, deprived of jobs, etc. because they are Christians. Even martyred, though in the USA we are fortunate enough not to have to worry about that.
  13. Gangster Land
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 05:46
    As I said, "BEFORE I heard of (the movie)..." in knew of unfair practices against Christians. I didn't need Ben Stein to confirm it for me. But like it or not, people (some who were in the movie and MANY other nameless, faceless masses that were not, HAVE been bullied, injured, deprived of jobs, etc. because they are Christians. Even martyred, though in the USA we are fortunate enough not to have to worry about that.
    Oh, sweet Jesus, cry me a river. In the United States we have had 43 christian presidents...IN A ROW! Churches are allowed to do damn near whatever they please without paying a cent in taxes. We even have to violate our own constitution by not providing homosexuals with equal protection under the law, just to make you people happy. Roughly 80% of the population claim to be Christians (I know, I know...some of them aren't "true Christians" (whatever that means), but at least you know where their sympathies lie).

Not quite ten percent of the US population is athiest or without preference when it comes to a deity. So, if Christians are being persecuted..who the hell is doing the persecuting? You control all three branches of government, you have huge numbers in the military, life is GOOD if you're a Christian in America. Try coming over to my side of the fence sometime (athiest), I'll show you persecuted!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 06:35
    No I haven't seen the movie, though I have heard about it from these forums. Have you seen it? How is it relevant to your claim? You say I am sadly misinformed about the views of the majority of theists. You present as evidence the fact that those who work in the scientific field who question 'the religion of Darwin' (whatever that is), are blackballed. I fail to see the relevance. The majority of theists do not work in scientific fields. Can you explain how the Pope for example is getting blackballed?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 06:45
    As I said, "BEFORE I heard of (the movie)..." in knew of unfair practices against Christians.
    We you cant really expect to get a job in Biology if you state in your c.v. that you don't believe that cells have DNA in them. If thats unfair then tough. About half of all scientific study going on today is the study of things that Young Earth Creationists claim either does not exist or that we have got totally wrong. Why would they even want a job in a field that they believe should exist?
    If you claim that Newton had it right and Einstein got it all wrong, don't expect a job with NASA.
    As for 'unfair practices against Christians', you are actually supporting my claim that said Christians are in a minority.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree