1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 May '05 15:52
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    But you can still see God in His creation.
    You can't see past your own fundament
  2. South Dakota, USA
    Moves
    16 May '05 16:47
    Actually, the Biblical tradition is along the lines that no one can see the face of God and live. See, e.g., Exodus 33:17-23.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    16 May '05 16:51
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]There's no such thing as reading without interpreting.

i would argue that this statement is simply not true. but, moreover, it is beside the point. i think the point AThousandYoung was trying to make is that by "interpret" he meant that DJ2 is drawing conclusions from the bible's passages that do not necessarily follow from strictly a lite ...[text shortened]... s, then there is no need to draw other outside conclusions, or to "interpret" as it was meant.[/b]
    There is still a difference between a literal reading and saying that it is literally true. When Christ said "I am the bread" he was not speaking literally - but he was speaking a literal truth.

I'll have to see what DJ was interpreting. But interpreting does not mean "reading into something" what is not there. It means discerning the meaning.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 May '05 16:58
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Being a Muffin?
    You'll just never get it. Too bad. It's very funny really.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 May '05 17:01
    Originally posted by Coletti
    There is still a difference between a literal reading and saying that it is literally true. When Christ said "I am the bread" he was not speaking literally - but he was speaking a literal truth.

I'll have to see what DJ was interpreting. But interpreting does not mean "reading into something" what is not there. It means discerning the meaning.
    A "literal truth"? Please, Col. Just call it a "truth" and be done with this bit of semantic prestidigitation.

6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '05 17:28
    Originally posted by johnsteele57368
    Actually, the Biblical tradition is along the lines that no one can see the face of God and live. See, e.g., Exodus 33:17-23.
    Yes, that implies to sinful man in this world. But you don't need to see God's face only. You can see his handiwork in his creation.
  7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    16 May '05 18:36
    Originally posted by telerion
    A "literal truth"? Please, Col. Just call it a "truth" and be done with this bit of semantic prestidigitation.

I will if you will, or anyone else who is confused about the difference between a literally reading the Scripture and believing the Scripture is literally true. Not all the texts of Scriptures literal, some are analogical, metaphorical, etc. They are all literally true.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 May '05 18:37
    I will if you will, or anyone else who is confused about the difference between a literally reading the Scripture and believing the Scripture is literally true. Not all the texts of Scriptures literal, some are analogical, metaphorical, etc. They are all literally true.
    Well, then are they literally literally literally true as well?

Parsimony, please.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 May '05 18:371 edit

Parsimony, please.

edit: I was going to delete this accidental double post, but the irony is just too funny. 🙂
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    16 May '05 18:39
    Originally posted by telerion

Parsimony, please.

edit: I was going to delete this accidental double post, but the irony is just too funny. 🙂
    You are still confused?
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 May '05 18:40
    You are still confused?
    Can't you just smile at a joke Col? I was saying that the damn keyboard got the better of me.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:59
    I have no clue what makes something 'literally true' to you. Can you elaborate?
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 May '05 18:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I have no clue what makes something 'literally true' to you. Can you elaborate?
    I mean that the as someone who believes the Bible is inerrant in it's original writings, that literally all of the propositions of the Bible are true, not just some of them. It is really redundant to say literally true, but I am emphasizing that I do not mean sort of true, or almost true. Technically "almost true" is false, but in a none-technical sense it means probably true.
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    19 May '05 03:54
    God is a God of wisdom, not confusion. I think that the Bible is literally true, not that all the Bible is to be understood as literal. The story of Elisha and the killing of 42 young conveys an event that truly happened. It is a report of something that literally happened.

What do you mean by the "not accurately reported circumstances"? I think the report is true, and accurate. I don't know what the circumstances were (the Bible does not tell us), but what the Bible says is reported correctly. I think maybe we assume the circumstance to easily and come to wrong conclusions. For instance - I doubt calling him "baldy" is a simple insult as it is today. And the there are many interesting details before and after that event.

Can you please elaborate? Are you insinuating that calling someone 'baldy' is worthy of the
    death penalty? Are you suggesting that the Bible omitted salient details but included relatively
    unimportant ones?

Nemesio
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 May '05 04:10
    I mean that the as someone who believes the Bible is inerrant in it's original writings, that literally all of the propositions of the Bible are true, not just some of them. It is really redundant to say literally true, but I am emphasizing that I do not mean sort of true, or almost true. Technically "almost true" is false, but in a none-technical sense it means probably true.
    So the Bible is inerrant in it's original writings; however, what those writings mean exactly is up to the reader to determine, aided by a sensation that the reader believes is the Holy Spirit. Once the correct meaning is determined, that meaning cannot be in error, but what that meaning is is not obvious to all people who are capable of reading standard Hebrew (or whatever language the original writings were in), much less those who are reading a translation.

Is that correct in your judgement, Coletti?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree