Can you blame bbarr?

Can you blame bbarr?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
12 Oct 06

This place has become an intellectual wasteland. Can you blame bbarr for abandoning it?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
12 Oct 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
This place has become an intellectual wasteland. Can you blame bbarr for abandoning it?
Does it surprise me? No. Do I (daily) pine his action? Yes. Do I wish he would come back? Yes.

I'm not sure that blame enters into the mix for me.

Nemesio

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Oct 06

RHP with Bbarr and DoctorScribbles equals (presumably) something worthwhile.

RHP with just DoctorScribbles equals a wasteland.

What would RHP with neither Bbarr nor DoctorScribbles equal?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
12 Oct 06

Originally posted by rwingett
RHP with Bbarr and DoctorScribbles equals (presumably) something worthwhile.

RHP with just DoctorScribbles equals a wasteland.

What would RHP with neither Bbarr nor DoctorScribbles equal?
RBHill

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Oct 06

Being an intellectual waste-wad, I find that I can't even ponder such a question.

h

Cosmos

Moves
13 Oct 06

It's a shame Bbarr became part of the scenary of the wasteland when he got "deja vous" (sic) wrong!!!

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

13 Oct '06 15:53 :: 0 recommendations
(Originally posted by lucifershammer
Really? Care to elaborate?)

DrS: "I am one of this forum's main bastions of what is reasonable.

I am the Champion of Debates. That's not something you achieve being unreasonable.

I don't care to elaborate, lest I become mistaken for the fool for arguing with one."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't blame Bbarr !

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
13 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by howardgee
It's a shame Bbarr became part of the scenary of the wasteland when he got "deja vous" (sic) wrong!!!
... and you tried to correct him by spelling it "Deja vu". It is spelled "Déjà vu" , Howard dear !

j

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
... and you tried to correct him by spelling it "Deja vu". It is spelled "Déjà vu" , Howard dear !
The best debates I've seen on Discussion Forums are the ones that are moderated for word count with a certain number of rounds and a certain limited number of questions. Then closing statments help.

These kinds of debates one can go away from with a sense of where the stronger argument was made.

Endless bantor back and forth is not as good - any subject.

l

London

Moves
13 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by jaywill
The best debates I've seen on Discussion Forums are the ones that are moderated for word count with a certain number of rounds and a certain limited number of questions. Then closing statments help.

These kinds of debates one can go away from with a sense of where the stronger argument was made.

Endless bantor back and forth is not as good - any subject.
I don't know about that. I once saw a highly pretentious "debate" about Objectivism vs. Anarchism where neither participant got around to actually making any arguments in support of their position until halfway through (I remember there was a lot of silly posturing around spellings and insulting of the other participant -- somehow some people think that's a "debate" ). And, in terms of rebuttals, there were barely any made until the closing essays.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

I wonder what our most refined, most respectfull, most unbiased and most unvulgar debater has to say about the subject raised.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
13 Oct 06
7 edits

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I don't know about that. I once saw a highly pretentious "debate" about Objectivism vs. Anarchism where neither participant got around to actually making any arguments in support of their position until halfway through (I remember there was a lot of silly posturing around spellings and insulting of the other participant -- somehow some people think th ebate" ). And, in terms of rebuttals, there were barely any made until the closing essays.
This is a complete mischaracterization of the Great Debate of '06. The debate was not pretentious, and I don't recall any posturing. I don't recall any personal insults. One spelling mistake was cited as evidence of my correct claim that my opponent was unfamiliar with the written material he was attempting to criticise - it was made to highlight a lack of knowledge, not a lack of typing or spelling skills. Although I cannot speak for my opponent, my delay in affirmatively presenting my position was a strategic necessity. My rebuttals began in my opening response. I do recall all of the judges commending both participants' informative and well-argued presentations.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Oct 06

This is a complete mischaracterization of the Great Debate of '06. The debate was not pretentious, and I don't recall any posturing. I don't recall any personal insults. One spelling mistake was cited as evidence of my correct claim that my opponent was unfamiliar with the written material he was attempting to criticise - it was made to highlight ...[text shortened]... l all of the judges commending both participants' informative and well-argued presentations.
This is a complete mischaracterization of the Great Debate of '06.
Any event wherein the best line is, "You can't double-stamp a no-stampsies," can hardly be construed as "great," or "debate." You did, however, get the year correct.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

Can someone please link the debate thread?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by David C
Can someone please link the debate thread?
I don't think Hell has a hyperlink. Sorry.