1. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 20:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    MECHANICAL DICTATION—A STRAW MAN
    Whenever you hear someone accusing advocates of verbal inspiration of believing in “mechanical dictation,” most likely you are dealing with a theological liberal! The notion of “mechanical dictation” [i.e., that the Bible writers were only dictaphones or typewriters, hence, their cultural and personality factors ...[text shortened]... served. https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=411 [2 of 2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_variants_in_the_New_Testament
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 21:35
    Originally posted by dominuslatrunculorum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_variants_in_the_New_Testament
    You forgot to include your comment.
  3. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 21:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You forgot to include your comment.
    My comment is that there seems to be a lot of textual variation; I am challenging the point made earlier that scribes copied the bible faithfully.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 22:01
    My comment is that there seems to be a lot of textual variation; I am challenging the point made earlier that scribes copied the bible faithfully.
    What happened to this ?

I guess I am just interested to hear what bibles Christians read, and why. It doesn't have to be polemical.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 22:13
    That may be because Christians did not have trained scribes like the Jews.
  6. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 22:17
    Originally posted by sonship
    What happened to this ?

I guess I am just interested to hear what bibles Christians read, and why. It doesn't have to be polemical.
    I don't mean to be polemical. I said at the outset that I believed that there was scribal variation, and so my question was how Christians dealt with the issue, how they decided which bible best dealt with errors of transmission, and so on. I don't want to be polemical and argue against anyone's choice of a bible; I just want to know to what extent Christians have reflected on this issue, to what extent they even consider it a problem. But if someone however wants to say that there are virtually no errors and translation is unproblematic, then I have to disagree.
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 22:18
    This may be true, though do you think professional vs. amateur scribes would account for most errors?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 22:57
    This may be true, though do you think professional vs. amateur scribes would account for most errors?
    dominuslatrunculorum, if you're predisposed to reject the proposition that "The Scriptures are the verbally inspired Word of God" there's no volume of replies to this spirituality forum thread that will ever change your mind. The free will choice of choosing for or against the person and work of Jesus Christ on your behalf is yours; your decision will determine your eternal future. -Bob
  9. Joined
    26 Apr '15
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 23:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    dominuslatrunculorum, if you're predisposed to reject the proposition that "The Scriptures are the verbally inspired Word of God" there's no volume of replies to this spirituality forum thread that will ever change your mind. The free will choice of choosing for or against the person and work of Jesus Christ on your behalf is yours; your decision will determine your eternal future. -Bob
    It's not a question of inspiration; it's a question of transmission. No one would suggest that scribes themselves were inspired by God.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    What happened to this ?

The only reason I answered is because he said it doesn't have to be polemical... this doesn't mean it won't soon become that way, it just means he's given room for some of us to answer that particular question.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 23:201 edit
    I don't mean to be polemical. I said at the outset that I believed that there was scribal variation, and so my question was how Christians dealt with the issue, how they decided which bible best dealt with errors of transmission, and so on. I don't want to be polemical and argue against anyone's choice of a bible; I just want to know to what ext ...[text shortened]... ay that there are virtually no errors and translation is unproblematic, then I have to disagree.
    I think see better what you meant now.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 01:08
    Respect your privilege of voicing an opinion and have no desire whatever to argue and/or coerce your volitional free will.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 01:341 edit
    Amateur scribes would probably account for most errors.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 03:12
    It's not a question of inspiration; it's a question of transmission. No one would suggest that scribes themselves were inspired by God.
    HAS TRANSMISSION DESTROYED INSPIRATION?
    “But suppose,” someone wonders, “the Bible was verbally inspired initially. Hasn’t the transmission of the text across the centuries caused a corruption of the original documents, so that verbal inspiration has been virtually destroyed?” No, not at all. The text of the Bible—both Old and New Testaments—has been preserved in a remarkable fashion. For example, after years of scientific research in connection with the text of the Old Testament, professor Robert Dick Wilson, who was thoroughly acquainted with forty-five languages, stated that “we are scientifically certain that we have substantially the same text that was in the possession of Christ and the apostles...” (1929, p. 8, emp. added). Evidence for the textual reliability of the New Testament is no less impressive. Scholars are now in possession of some 5,378 Greek manuscripts (in part or in whole) of the New Testament, and some of these date to the early part of the second century A.D. It has been estimated that textual variations concern only about 1/1000th part of the entire text (see Gregory, 1907, p. 528). Transmission, therefore, has not destroyed verbal inspiration.

DOES TRANSLATION AFFECT INSPIRATION?
    Since the Holy Scriptures originally were penned in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and since then have been translated into many languages, some are concerned that the translation process has destroyed the Bible’s initial inspiration. But there is no need for concern over this matter so long as accurate translation is effected. When a word is translated precisely from one language into another, the same thought or idea is conveyed; thus, the same message is received.

That translation need not affect inspiration is evinced by an appeal to the New Testament itself. In the 3rd-2nd centuries B.C., the Hebrew Scriptures were translated into Greek. This version, which was begun in Alexandria, Egypt, is known as the Septuagint. Note this interesting fact: Jesus Christ Himself, and His inspired New Testament writers, frequently quoted from the Septuagint translation of the Old Testament Scriptures! For example, in Matthew 22:32, Christ quoted from the Septuagint (Exodus 3:6), and of that passage said: “Have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God?” (22:31). The translation from Hebrew to Greek did not alter the fact that the message was the Word of God!

It also might be observed in this connection that scholars generally agree that the Septuagint is not as reliable a translation as is the Hebrew text of the Old Testament. Yet in spite of this, the New Testament frequently quotes it. However, as one author observed: “The writers of the New Testament appear to have been so careful to give the true sense of the Old Testament, that they forsook the Septuagint version whenever it did not give that sense...” (Horne, 1841, 1:312). The fact is, when a New Testament writer was quoting from the Greek Old Testament, the Holy Spirit sometimes led him to slightly alter the phraseology to give a more accurate sense. Thus, inspiration was still preserved though a less-than-perfect translation was being used.

CONCLUSION
    The Scriptures are the verbally inspired Word of God. This view has been entertained by reverent students of the Holy Writings for multiplied centuries. Fritz Rienecker noted that the Jewish “rabbinical teaching was that the Spirit of God rested on and in the prophets and spoke through them so that their words did not come from themselves, but from the mouth of God and they spoke and wrote in the Holy Spirit. The early church was in entire agreement with this view” (1980, 2:301). Let us therefore exalt the Holy Scriptures as the living Word of God (Hebrews 4:12), and acknowledge them as the only authoritative source of religious guidance.

REFERENCES
    Bruce, A.B. (1956), Expositor’s New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans).
    Gaebelein, Frank E. (1950), The Meaning of Inspiration (Chicago, IL: Inter-Varsity).
    Glaussen, L. (no date), Theopneustia—The Plenary Inspiration of the Holy Scriptures (Chicago, IL: Moody).
    Gregory, C.R. (1907), Canon and Text of the New Testament (New York: Scribners).
    Horne, Thomas H. (1842), An Introduction to the Critical Study and Knowledge of the Holy Scriptures (Philadelplhia, PA: Whetham & Son).
    Rienecker, Fritz (1980), A Linguistic Key to the Greek New Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan).
    Wilson, Robert Dick (1929), A Scientific Investigation of the Old Testament (New York: Harper & Brothers). Copyright © 1982 Apologetics Press, Inc. All rights reserved. https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=411 [2 of 2]
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 03:152 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Amateur scribes would probably account for most errors.
    There were no "Amateur scribes": God's Omniscience knew precisely by whom and how the Word of God would be transmitted and preserved.

Edit Footnote: Unsubstantiated speculation ["would probably"] has no place in an online spirituality forum by you or me or any believer in Christ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree