1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    24 Jul '11 17:421 edit
    It has been pointed out to me by sonhouse that the carbon 14 dating of
    the Shroud of Turin, believed to be the burial cloth of Christ, has been
    determined by scientist to be a mistake. It is reported as the biggest
    mistake ever made in carbon 14 dating.

    http://www.factsplusfacts.com/carbon-14-history.htm

    http://www.skepticalspectacle.com/PapalCustodianvsVatican.htm
  2. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Jul '11 19:101 edit
    is it important to you?. my faith is not made more or less by garments or other pieces, either genuine or fake. i use the cross as a sign of my christianity, but it is made of metal or wood plastic as well. god/ christ is not there just a focus for our minds.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    24 Jul '11 19:39
    Originally posted by stoker
    is it important to you?. my faith is not made more or less by garments or other pieces, either genuine or fake. i use the cross as a sign of my christianity, but it is made of metal or wood plastic as well. god/ christ is not there just a focus for our minds.
    Yes, I am interested in announcing the truth of Jesus. Now we know.
    Who else, but Jesus, can rightly claim to be the way, the truth, and the life?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52617
    24 Jul '11 23:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It has been pointed out to me by sonhouse that the carbon 14 dating of
    the Shroud of Turin, believed to be the burial cloth of Christ, has been
    determined by scientist to be a mistake. It is reported as the biggest
    mistake ever made in carbon 14 dating.

    http://www.factsplusfacts.com/carbon-14-history.htm

    http://www.skepticalspectacle.com/PapalCustodianvsVatican.htm
    You still have no problem with the idea there were mistakes made but there is still no proof it was used on Jesus. Now that they think the data was in error and the date is a lot closer to Jesus' time, you now think carbon dating is ok? It looks like the Vatican has screwed up any hope for finding an accurate date for the cloth anyway so it is just back to belief and faith. If the cloth was dated to 2000 years old, I am sure you would now think carbon dating to be totally a great science.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Jul '11 00:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You still have no problem with the idea there were mistakes made but there is still no proof it was used on Jesus. Now that they think the data was in error and the date is a lot closer to Jesus' time, you now think carbon dating is ok? It looks like the Vatican has screwed up any hope for finding an accurate date for the cloth anyway so it is just back to ...[text shortened]... d to 2000 years old, I am sure you would now think carbon dating to be totally a great science.
    I still believe that more work needs to be done to refine the dating
    process to make sure it is accurate in all cases. I still don't trust
    carbon 14 dating at this time.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52617
    25 Jul '11 00:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I still believe that more work needs to be done to refine the dating
    process to make sure it is accurate in all cases. I still don't trust
    carbon 14 dating at this time.
    You just confirmed my hypothesis. You have no problem say, with LED lighting technology because it probably will never impinge on your religious dogma. Or say, X-ray science, unless it starts to weigh in on the dates of human fossils. Or physics, lets see, unless it starts to support carbon 14 dating. Oh yes, I forgot, it ALREADY supports C14 dating. So now physics is suspect.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Jul '11 01:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You just confirmed my hypothesis. You have no problem say, with LED lighting technology because it probably will never impinge on your religious dogma. Or say, X-ray science, unless it starts to weigh in on the dates of human fossils. Or physics, lets see, unless it starts to support carbon 14 dating. Oh yes, I forgot, it ALREADY supports C14 dating. So now physics is suspect.
    Theories should be proven by constant testing before they are accepted as
    fact. I don't accept the theory of evolution as a fact because it has not
    been proven. Practically all the circumstantial evidence gathered to support
    it could just as easily support creationism.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2436
    25 Jul '11 01:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes, I am interested in announcing the truth of Jesus.
    And you need an old rag in order to do this?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Jul '11 01:42
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    And you need an old rag in order to do this?
    I don't know why I am laughing so hard at what you wrote. It just
    sounds funny even though I don't know what you mean.
  10. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    25 Jul '11 01:49
    Originally posted by stoker
    is it important to you?. my faith is not made more or less by garments or other pieces, either genuine or fake. i use the cross as a sign of my christianity, but it is made of metal or wood plastic as well. god/ christ is not there just a focus for our minds.
    Have you read the book The Shroud of Turin? Or the sequel?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52617
    25 Jul '11 07:04
    Originally posted by josephw
    Have you read the book The Shroud of Turin? Or the sequel?
    Which book is that? what author? A Chemists perspective on the shroud by Ramond N Rogers? Vindication for the shroud by two non-believers by Andre Cherpollod and Serge Mouraviev? The Blood and the Shroud by Ian Wilson? The Botany of the Shroud by Avinoam Danin? The challenge of the Shroud by Mark Oxley?
    The crucifixion of Jesus by Fredrick T Zugibe? A Doctor of Calvary by Dr Pierre Barbet?

    Judgement day for the Shroud by Walter McCrone?

    Not sure which version you are talking about. That was just a short list.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    25 Jul '11 14:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Which book is that? what author? A Chemists perspective on the shroud by Ramond N Rogers? Vindication for the shroud by two non-believers by Andre Cherpollod and Serge Mouraviev? The Blood and the Shroud by Ian Wilson? The Botany of the Shroud by Avinoam Danin? The challenge of the Shroud by Mark Oxley?
    The crucifixion of Jesus by Fredrick T Zugibe? A Doct ...[text shortened]... by Walter McCrone?

    Not sure which version you are talking about. That was just a short list.
    I think he is referring to "The Shroud of Turin" by Wayne Wright, Dated
    September 2010.

    http://www.sharethewordmin.com/EvidenceResurection.html
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52617
    25 Jul '11 15:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think he is referring to "The Shroud of Turin" by Wayne Wright, Dated
    September 2010.

    http://www.sharethewordmin.com/EvidenceResurection.html
    I see the last part of the says 'evidenceResurection' How does the shroud say anything about that? It seems to me it would take a lot more than three days being covered in a shroud to produce the kind of image shown on the shroud. What has the shroud do do with resurrection? btw, there are 3 r's in resurrection. Is your spelling a typo?
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    25 Jul '11 15:28
    Do you accept science or not, RJHinds? If not, why is this different?
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Joined
    24 Feb '09
    Moves
    175970
    25 Jul '11 15:51
    A interesting program about the shroud was on the History channel recently.

    http://www.history.com/shows/the-real-face-of-jesus
Back to Top