1. London
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 19:23
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Are you saying the Pope is impeccable? If so can you elaborate ?
    I'm saying the Pope is not impeccable.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 19:331 edit
    I am agreeing with you. A smart guy wont need to be told that.
    You are missing my point. Even smart people can make mistakes, which they need to have pointed out to them. Thus, it is not necessarily the case that a smart person wouldn't need to be told that the pope is obviously not infallible. Lucifershammer's belief in papal infallibility is a counterexample to your claim.
  3. London
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 19:51
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You are missing my point. Even smart people can make mistakes, which they need to have pointed out to them. Thus, it is not necessarily the case that a smart person wouldn't need to be told that the pope is obviously not infallible. Lucifershammer's belief in papal infallibility is a counterexample to your claim.
    So you say.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 20:27
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Thniking that a MAN is INFALLIBLE, is not a mistake. Its flawed judgement and in that respect that person is stupid.
  5. London
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 20:31
    Thniking that a MAN is INFALLIBLE, is not a mistake. Its flawed judgement and in that respect that person is stupid.
    The man is not infallible because of his own virtue, but because of the action of the Holy Spirit. In other words, the source of the Pope's infallibility is not some quality of his, but the grace of God.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 20:43
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The man is not infallible because of his own virtue, but because of the action of the Holy Spirit. In other words, the source of the Pope's infallibility is not some quality of his, but the grace of God.
    Now we getting somewhere! So the Pope is infallible ! Really ? How do you know that?

Most smart people know that the Pope is just a MAN and the head of the Catholic church. Are all heads of churches infallible or just the Pope ?
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 21:41
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    😵

And I used to believe that Santa's around-the-world-ness was not because of his own virtue, but because of the action of his eight tiny reindeer. In other words, the source of Santa's around-the-world-ness was not some quality of his, but the grace of the foo-foo dust they sprinkled on the reindeer to make them fly with great precision and speed.

Of course, at some point, I put away these silly beliefs that others had simply netted over me.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 22:171 edit
    Now we getting somewhere! So the Pope is infallible ! Really ? How do you know that?

Most smart people know that the Pope is just a MAN and the head of the Catholic church. Are all heads of churches infallible or just the Pope ?
    According to the RCC, the Pope has the head of the Church is infallible on what is dogma, not on his predictions of who will win the next Super Bowl. He is infallible in this area because as head of the RCC the Holy Spirit directs him to be.

All Christians believe that the Councils which decided what books were to be in the Bible were similiarly influenced by the Holy Spirit. And that ALL the authors of the NT were inspired in the same way. Thus, the idea is not as outlandish in that context as Protestants make it out to be; it is a logical extension of this type of Christian belief. It's the pot calling the kettle black for other Christians to say how absurd it is, particulary when the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy relies on the same rationale.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 22:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    According to the RCC, the Pope has the head of the Church is infallible on what is dogma, not on his predictions of who will win the next Super Bowl. He is infallible in this area because as head of the RCC the Holy Spirit directs him to be.

All Christians believe that the Councils which decided what books were to be in the Bible were similiarl ...[text shortened]... absurd it is, particulary when the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy relies on the same rationale.
    OK.. I have started a little religion. Its called Pastor Rajk Ministries and I have one follower. According to PRM, I am infallible on what is dogma although I have no predictive abilities re sports.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 22:301 edit
    OK.. I have started a little religion. Its called Pastor Rajk Ministries and I have one follower. According to PRM, I am infallible on what is dogma although I have no predictive abilities re sports.
    Good. Get a little over a billion people in your Church and you'll be in a similar position to the Pope.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 22:59
    Good. Get a little over a billion people in your Church and you'll be in a similar position to the Pope.
    So God makes the leaders of big religious groups infallible ! I see.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 23:04
    So God makes the leaders of big religious groups infallible ! I see.
    No, God makes the leader of the one true Church established by the Son of God on Earth infallible on religious truths through the intervention of the Holy Spirit. According to the RCC.

If you have an argument why that is so ridiculous from a Christian theist point of view, present it. Try to stop misrepresenting it.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 23:07
    No, God makes the leader of the one true Church established by the Son of God on Earth infallible on religious truths through the intervention of the Holy Spirit. According to the RCC.

If you have an argument why that is so ridiculous from a Christian theist point of view, present it. Try to stop misrepresenting it.
    SO the RCC is the one true Church established by the son on God ?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 23:21
    SO the RCC is the one true Church established by the son on God ?
    Yes. Jesus says he will build a Church on Earth "upon this Rock" i.e. Peter. The RCC claims an unbroken string of succession from Peter to the present Pope.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 23:41
    Yes. Jesus says he will build a Church on Earth "upon this Rock" i.e. Peter. The RCC claims an unbroken string of succession from Peter to the present Pope.
    They say that, but is there some proof ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree