1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 05:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Caroling during Christmas..."

* "The First Noel

The Origin: The First Noel is unknown in origin but is generally thought to be English dating back to the sixteenth century, as a peasant folk song. All historical evidence indicates that the song emerged from the remote Cornwall region of southwest England in the mid 16th century. Whoev ...[text shortened]... in 1871. Variations of its theme are included in Victor Hely-Hutchinson’s “Carol Symphony.” (3 of 4)
    "Caroling during Christmas..."

* "The First Noel The Song:

“The First Noel” encompasses both accounts of our Lord’s adoration, beginning with the account in Luke 2 of the shepherds and in the middle regarding the Magi of Matthew 2:1-12. The annunciation to the shepherds and the adoration of the shepherds are episodes in the Nativity of Jesus described in the second chapter of the Gospel of Luke, Luke 2:8-20. As noted previously, the Star of Bethlehem appears in the story of the Magi, the Wise Men, in the Gospel of Matthew. It does not appear in the story of the shepherds.

Luke 2:8, “And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.”

Mat 2:2, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”

“The First Noel” portrays, in vivid narrative style, the story of the birth of Christ. All six verses are needed to complete the entire event when the hymn is sung. The sixth stanza urges us to join together to sing praises to God for the marvels of His creation and for the salvation provided through Christ’s shed blood. It is interesting to observe that the “King of Israel” was first announced to “certain poor shepherds” only, but in the final stanza the phrases “let us all” and “mankind hath brought” remind us that Christ came to redeem the whole world.

“The first noel the angel did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay—in fields where they lay keeping their sheep on a cold winter’s night that was so deep.”

Refrain: “Noel, noel! Noel, noel! Born is the King of Israel!”

“They looked up and saw a star shining in the east, beyond them far; and to the earth it gave great light, and so it continued both day and night.” Refrain:

“And by the light of that same star, three wise men came from country far; to seek for a king was their intent, and to follow the star wherever it went.” Refrain:

“This star drew nigh to the northwest; o’er Bethlehem it took its rest; and there it did both stop and stay, right over the place where Jesus lay.” Refrain:

“Then entered in those wise men three, full rev’rently upon their knee, and offered there, in His presence, their gold and myrrh and frankincense.” Refrain:

“Then let us all with one accord sing praises to our heav’nly Lord, that hath made heav’n and earth of naught, and with His blood mankind hath bought.” Refrain:

Therefore, let us allow the joy of Christ’s birth to be reflected on our faces and heard in our glad singing of praises to Him all through this Christmas season." (4 of 4)
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 17:09
    "26 Popular Traditional Christmas Carols w/ Festive Art by Thomas Kinkade

An 80 minute collection of 26 much-beloved traditional Christmas carols, sung by a variety of well-known..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNRZHynmvw I've been enjoying all of these.
    This is a particularly noteworthy Christmas Carol Collection tastefully accented with traditional themes by Thomas Kinkade.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 19:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    As long as the Halls are atheists and the fight where the Christian decked them was entered into in good faith, then it's a carol.
    I never knew it had a hidden message in the lyrics!! 😉
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 19:35
    This is a particularly noteworthy Christmas Carol Collection tastefully accented with traditional themes by Thomas Kinkade.
    "Hits 1,610,458... Published on Dec 13, 2013 An 80 minute collection of 26 much-beloved traditional Christmas carols,
    sung by a variety of well-known English choirs, with images of traditional Victorian-period Christmas cards."
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Dec '14 17:411 edit
    Any of the carols your favorite as a child or now?
    I've always liked "Little Drummer Boy". Musically, it's really repetitious, but the message is awesome. As a child, I liked the children's favorites, like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Jingle Bells", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Away in a Manger", but as I've gotten older, I enjoy the tradition of the more serious carols, like "O Come All Ye Faithful", "Little Town of Bethlehem", "Joy to the World", "Oh Holy Night" and probably my favorite of these is "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing".
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Dec '14 17:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I asked her about her favourite carols but she didn't answer. I think she had some other purpose for posting on this thread. 😉
    Not everything happens on your own personal timeline.

If you really understood this, maybe you'd still be a Christian.

I'm just sayin'.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 06:45
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I've always liked "Little Drummer Boy". Musically, it's really repetitious, but the message is awesome. As a child, I liked the children's favorites, like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Jingle Bells", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Away in a Manger", but as I've gotten older, I enjoy the tradition of the more serious carols, like "O Come All Ye ...[text shortened]... the World", "Oh Holy Night" and probably my favorite of these is "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing".
    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

1. Hark! The Herald Angels sing,
    "Glory to the new-born King;
    Peace on earth, and mercy mild,
    God and sinners reconciled!"
    Joyful, all ye nations, rise.
    Join the triumph of the skies.
    With th' Angelic Hosts proclaim,
    "Christ is born in Bethlehem!"
    Hark! the herald angels sing,
    "Glory to the new-born King."

2. Christ, by highest heaven adored,
    Christ, the everlasting lord
    Late in time behold Him come,
    Off-spring of a Virgin's womb
    Veiled in flesh the Godhead see,
    Hail, the incarnate deity
    Pleased as Man with men to dwell,
    Jesus, our Emmanuel.
    "Glory to the New-born king!"

3. Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace,
    Hail, the Sun of Righteousness
    Light and life to all He brings,
    Risen with healing in His Wings.
    Now He lays His Glory by,
    Born that man no more may die
    Born to raise the sons of earth,
    Born to give them second birth.

4. Come, Desire of nations come,
    Fix in us Thy humble home;
    Oh, to all Thyself impart,
    Formed in each believing heart!
    "Glory to the new-born king;
    Peace on earth and mercy mild,
    God and sinners reconciled!"

5. Adam's likeness, Lord, efface,
    Stamp Thine image in its place:
    Second Adam from above,
    Reinstate us in Thy love.
    Let us Thee, though lost, regain,
    Thee, the Life, the inner man:
    O, to all Thyself impart,
    Formed in each believing heart.

"... as I've gotten older, I enjoy the tradition of the more serious carols, like "O Come All Ye Faithful", "Little Town of Bethlehem", "Joy to the World", "Oh Holy Night" and probably my favorite of these is "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing". Suzi, the "more serious carols" are my favorites too. "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" summarizes God's Plan of Reconciliation.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 07:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Not everything happens on your own personal timeline.

If you really understood this, maybe you'd still be a Christian.

I'm just sayin'.
    You are still a Christian because you understand that "not everything happens on your personal timeline", is that what you mean?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree