1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 01:01
    To what extent does your religious/philosophical/ideological outlook offer you catharsis? To what extent does it cause you frustration or even anguish?
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:00
    @fmf said
    To what extent does your religious/philosophical/ideological outlook offer you catharsis? To what extent does it cause you frustration or even anguish?
    Absolute catharsis. Jesus was crucified thereby paying my sin debt, was buried and rose from the dead. I have eternal life and not a worry in the world, which isn't to say I don't struggle with life's issues that are common to all mankind.

Frustration and anguish aren't part of the equation.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:03
    @secondson said
    Frustration and anguish aren't part of the equation.
    Believers in the 'end times' and the Rapture etc. etc. sometimes seem very anguished and misanthropic about mankind and the world - even to the point of hoping it comes sooner rather than later.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:24
    @fmf said
    Believers in the 'end times' and the Rapture etc. etc. sometimes seem very anguished and misanthropic about mankind and the world - even to the point of hoping it comes sooner rather than later.
    That's your perception.

Jesus will return soon and set things right. That unbelievers scoff at the idea of the return of Jesus is the evidence that what Peter said is true.

2 Peter 3:3-7
    Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:30
    @secondson said
    That's your perception.
    Well, not exactly. It's what several people in this community have talked about, including yourself. Posters like roigam, Suzianne, Eladar, robbie carrobie, sonship, galveston75 and RJHinds, to name but a few, have all talked unequivocally about how they welcome and anticipate the 'end times' because of their perception that world and humanity have already gone, irredeemably, to "Hell". sonship has even said he hopes it comes in his lifetime. It's certainly not just my "perception".
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:35
    @fmf said
    Well, not exactly. It's what several people in this community have talked about, including yourself. Posters like roigam, Suzianne, Eladar, robbie carrobie, sonship, galveston75 and RJHinds, to name but a few, have all talked unequivocally about how they welcome and anticipate the 'end times' because of their perception that world and humanity have already gone, irredeemably, to ...[text shortened]... ". sonship has even said he hopes it comes in his lifetime. It's certainly not just my "perception".
    "Believers in the 'end times' and the Rapture etc. etc. sometimes seem very anguished and misanthropic about mankind and the world -..."

It's your perception that "believers" are "anguished and misanthropic".

I love life. You're in denial if you can't see the world is in turmoil.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:37
    @secondson said
    That unbelievers scoff at the idea of the return of Jesus
    This is not really the point, though, is it? People can have whatever notions about "Jesus" that they want. The point is whether these notions are brought on by despair and misanthropic feelings about their fellow humans and the state of the world. That is what is meant by the "frustration" and "anguish" mentioned in the OP.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:39
    @secondson said
    I have discussed it with quite a few whose demeanour is one of "anguish and misanthropy" - and in some detail. So that's how I know.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:41
    @secondson said
    You're in denial if you can't see the world is in turmoil.
    The world - despite its problems and continuing challenges - is arguably a better place - for more human beings - and a bigger proportion of human beings - than it has ever been. There are plenty of empirical indicators.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 12:43
    @secondson said
    They "sometimes" are.

I see what you did there; you omitted a crucial word.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:03
    @fmf said
    This is not really the point, though, is it? People can have whatever notions about "Jesus" that they want. The point is whether these notions are brought on by despair and misanthropic feelings about their fellow humans and the state of the world. That is what is meant by the "frustration" and "anguish" mentioned in the OP.
    "The point is whether these notions are brought on by despair and misanthropic feelings about their fellow humans and the state of the world."

"Notions", "brought on by despair and misanthropic feelings"?

It's no wonder you failed at Christianity. One look at the "world", and a working knowledge of the scriptures, and one would be hard pressed not to understand where the world is headed.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:07
    @fmf said
    I have discussed it with quite a few whose demeanour is one of "anguish and misanthropy" - and in some detail. So that's how I know.
    Judging by your obvious bias against Jesus as a viable alternative to your humanistic perspective it's clear you've mischaracterized the Christian world view.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:10
    @secondson said
    It's no wonder you failed at Christianity. One look at the "world", and a working knowledge of the scriptures, and one would be hard pressed not to understand where the world is headed.
    I would say, in many cases, people who tout their "knowledge of the scriptures", and wallow in the end-is-nigh impotency, can often slump into a vicious cycle of pessimism feeding off misanthropy and it prevents them from looking at the world in a positive way
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:11
    @secondson said
    Judging by your obvious bias against Jesus as a viable alternative to your humanistic perspective it's clear you've mischaracterized the Christian world view.
    There are many, many gloomy, defeatist Christians when it comes to making trying to make the world a better place.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:12
    @fmf said
    The world - despite its problems and continuing challenges - is arguably a better place - for more human beings - and a bigger proportion of human beings - than it has ever been. There are plenty of empirical indicators.
    Materialisticly maybe, but the world is a time bomb nonetheless, and it's getting worse. The lid will blow off sooner or later. A few strategically placed EMP's and we're back in the dark ages, except for a select few.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree