1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:13
    @secondson said
    "The point is whether these notions are brought on by despair and misanthropic feelings about their fellow humans and the state of the world."

"Notions", "brought on by despair and misanthropic feelings"?
    Yes. Absolutely.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:17
    @fmf said
    They "sometimes" are.

I see what you did there; you omitted a crucial word.
    And you're adding words to frame the argument in such a way as to form an outcome favorable to your point of view.

Your personal opinions do not a truth make.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:25
    @fmf said
    Yes. Absolutely.
    You're dreaming. Considering that most Christians haven't a clue about what the Bible teaches on most ideas and concepts relative to this life and the world we live in it's no wonder that after you've talked to some of them you came away with such a skewed perspective.

You probably think the God of the the Bible is up there in heaven wringing His hands, pacing back and forth and exclaiming His bewilderment and consternation over the state of human affairs.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:27
    @secondson said
    And you're adding words to frame the argument in such a way as to form an outcome favorable to your point of view.
    I didn't add the word "sometimes". I used the word "sometimes", deliberately, in order to express my point of view. When you cited what I'd said, you omitted the word "sometimes".
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:29
    @fmf said
    I would say, in many cases, people who tout their "knowledge of the scriptures", and wallow in the end-is-nigh impotency, can often slump into a vicious cycle of pessimism feeding off misanthropy and it prevents them from looking at the world in a positive way
    Are you kidding?

Christianity offers the most positive message know to man. Your perceptions are skewed by a mischaracterization of the truth, which is nothing more than a lie.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:34
    @secondson said
    You probably think the God of the the Bible is up there in heaven wringing His hands, pacing back and forth and exclaiming His bewilderment and consternation over the state of human affairs.
    No, not at all. I am an atheist. I don't believe there is a "God of the Bible" with hands for wringing and legs for pacing. I am talking about those Christians whose religious beliefs fuel despair and misanthropic feelings about their fellow humans and the state of the world.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:37
    @secondson said
    Christianity offers the most positive message know to man.
    I am not talking about the message. I am talking about the beliefs and demeanour of many Christians who are cynical and defeatist about the human condition and the state of the world, and the embrace of the nostrum that it will all soon end.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:38
    @secondson said
    Your perceptions are skewed by a mischaracterization of the truth, which is nothing more than a lie.
    Two perceptions being different from each other does not make either of them a "lie".
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:40
    @secondson said
    Considering that most Christians haven't a clue about what the Bible teaches on most ideas and concepts relative to this life and the world we live in it's no wonder that after you've talked to some of them you came away with such a skewed perspective.
    I am in my sixth decade of being around Christians.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:41
    @fmf said
    I didn't add the word "sometimes". I used the word "sometimes", deliberately, in order to express my point of view. When you cited what I'd said, you omitted the word "sometimes".
    You add words all the time in these debates that mischaracterize the truth of scripture.

You think your point of view is the correct one, and you'll not stop the gimmick till you've flooded these boards with the propaganda you've so cleverly devised and perfected over the last decade plus.

Frankly, I don't think you even believe what you say.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:42
    @fmf said
    I am in my sixth decade of being around Christians.
    Don't worry, it won't last forever.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:45
    @fmf said
    Well, not exactly. It's what several people in this community have talked about, including yourself. Posters like roigam, Suzianne, Eladar, robbie carrobie, sonship, galveston75 and RJHinds, to name but a few, have all talked unequivocally about how they welcome and anticipate the 'end times' because of their perception that world and humanity have already gone, irredeemably, to ...[text shortened]... ". sonship has even said he hopes it comes in his lifetime. It's certainly not just my "perception".
    I will ask you once more to stop mischaracterizing my position on this subject. Since I've talked about it numerous times, I can only assume that you are lying about me to fulfill your inner agenda, whatever that is. Stop using lies about me to further your own misguided goals.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:48
    @secondson said
    You add words all the time in these debates that mischaracterize the truth of scripture.
    I used the word "sometimes" because it was a key part of a sentence that accurately expressed my opinion. By removing it, you were trying to mischaracterize what I had said and so create a straw man.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:50
    @fmf said
    Two perceptions being different from each other does not make either of them a "lie".
    Ok, so if Jesus really did rise from the dead, then your perceptions about Christianity are all wrong.

But if He didn't you're wasting your time punching holes in the air.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '19 23:50
    @secondson said
    You think your point of view is the correct one, and you'll not stop the gimmick till you've flooded these boards with the propaganda you've so cleverly devised and perfected over the last decade plus.
    Not sure what you are on about. This is a debate and discussion forum. All that is going on here is an eclectic bunch of people sharing their perceptions and opinions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree