1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 11:05
    I'm a bit ignorant about religion:

Are all popes virgins?

If yes, Is this healthy?

Do catholics believe in same bible as anglicans?
  2. London
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 12:01
    Originally posted by invigorate

Are all popes virgins?

Not necessarily. AFAIK, all Popes except St. Peter were unmarried, though - but I don't know enough about the early Popes to say for sure.

If yes, Is this healthy?

Depends on what you mean by "healthy".

Do catholics believe in same bible as anglicans?

Yes and no.

Yes, in that the King James Version bible (used by the Anglicans and most other Protestant denominations) is based on the same sources as Church-approved bibles; and all the books in the KJV are also in the Catholic bible.

No, in that the KJV does not have the official imprimatur of the Church (which is a certificate that the translation is free of doctrinal error) and the KJV does not have all the books of the Catholic Bible.

Does that clarify things?
  3. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 21:03
    Haven't there been popes who were married before they joined the priesthood (presumably after the death of their wife)?
  4. London
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 21:12
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Haven't there been popes who were married before they joined the priesthood (presumably after the death of their wife)?
    http://marriage.about.com/od/historyofmarriage/ss/marriedpopes.htm

Apparently no Pope married after his election.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 04:36
    Originally posted by invigorate

Are all popes virgins?

Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Not necessarily. AFAIK, all Popes except St. Peter were unmarried, though - but I don't know enough about the early Popes to say for sure.

Just because some Popes were unmarried does not mean that they were virgins.
    A quick google search shows that Sergius III allegedly had a son, as did Alexander
    VI (and the Catholic Encyclopedia confirms that his daughter was illegitimate). Julius II
    had several children before becoming Pope.

There were many corrupt Popes in the early Middle Ages who abused their powers
    wantonly; there is no reason to believe that they didn't use their influence to gain
    sexual favors like almost every other royalty in history.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree