1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:173 edits
    I am applying to a Jesuit school and I suddenly I need to be familiar with this particular topic. Let's have a thread about it. That will be a nice change from reading lots of abstract, airy stuff like this and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Social_Teaching
    http://www.lmu.edu/Asset8869.aspx?method=1

The biggest theme I'm picking up is that educators should be working to oppose The Man who's Keeping The People Down via The System. We're supposed to focus our attention and resources on the poor folks so they can do better in life and defeat The Man.

It doesn't help me absorb this material that I've been reading Ayn Rand lately.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I am applying to a Jesuit school and I suddenly I need to be familiar with this particular topic. Let's have a thread about it. That will be a nice change from reading lots of abstract, airy stuff like this and this:

The biggest theme I'm picking he Man.

Don't be a Dagny Taggart. Be a Henry Cameron or a William Hastings and go teach at a real school.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 02:21

The biggest theme I'm picking ...[text shortened]... he Man.

If you want to score big points, point out to them that the Catholic Church is a very significant part of "The System". It'll demonstrate your understanding of "The System" AND appeal to their sense of pride.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 05:12
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    If you want to score big points, point out to them that the Catholic Church is a very significant part of "The System". It'll demonstrate your understanding of "The System" AND appeal to their sense of pride.
    How is it part of the system?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 05:172 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Don't be a Dagny Taggart. Be a Henry Cameron or a William Hastings and go teach at a real school.
    I'm being Howard Roark, working for the paycheck I'm given.

Minus the deep, spiritual passion for architexture and the hot secret dominance/submission based affair between me and my smoking hot, wealthy boss.

Taggart was just like Cameron, and I don't remember Hastings. I'm only 90% through the Fountainhead and 50% through Atlas Shrugged.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 06:30

The biggest theme I'm picking ...[text shortened]... he Man.

Merely raise hypocrisy to an art form and you will fit right in.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 06:30
    We're supposed to focus our attention and resources on the poor folks so they can do better in life and defeat The Man.
    Well I have always believed that the best way to help the poor is through education. "Teach a man to fish.." and all that. Certainly in Zambia, if you have an education you are practically guaranteed to be wealthier than the average. (the vast majority never make it past grade 7 due to a shortage of schools.)

As for defeating The Man, I would like to know who you plan to put in his place before advocating such a plan.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 11:332 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    How is it part of the system?
    Throughout history the Catholic Church has shown itself to be an institution that has power and money as its primary concern. Insofar as I can tell, that is "The System".
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 12:03
    Throughout history the Catholic Church has shown itself to be an institution that has power and money as its primary concern. Insofar as I can tell, that is "The System".
    I thought that the use of the present tense suggested that the Catholic Church is part of the system, not that it has been historically part of the system.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 12:45
    I thought that the use of the present tense suggested that the Catholic Church is part of the system, not that it has been historically part of the system.
    I probably could have phrased things better. I meant to include the present as well. You only need look at the handling of pedophile priests to see that nothing has changed.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 12:59
    I probably could have phrased things better. I meant to include the present as well. You only need look at the handling of pedophile priests to see that nothing has changed.
    Given the universal condemnation of the Church's handling of sex-abuse, I would say that it is not part of the system.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 13:111 edit
    Given the universal condemnation of the Church's handling of sex-abuse, I would say that it is not part of the system.
    Or perhaps the institution not only survives but seems to have come out of it unscathed because it is part of the system. I don't know that an institution can become/ be that rich and powerful without being part of the system.

You might want to ask yourself why everyone who knew of the handling of the situation from the Pope on down isn't facing charges.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 13:34
    Location, location, location.
    The Catholic Church has never ruled the world.
    They currently do rule at least one country.
    They have considerable political influence worldwide and are one of the largest and wealthiest organizations in the world.

A breakaway faction, the Anglican Church is still an official part of the British Government.

If they are not part of The System then maybe they are using their money rather selfishly.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 22:30
    Or perhaps the institution not only survives but seems to have come out of it unscathed because it is part of the system. I don't know that an institution can become/ be that rich and powerful without being part of the system.

You might want to ask yourself why everyone who knew of the handling of the situation from the Pope on down isn't facing charges.

Or maybe people make charitable contributions to their church, or leave property to the church after their death. Even after that, the Church has been required to sell hundreds of churches. A number of dioceses in America are bankrupt.

It is difficult to see, still, how the Church can be part of the system when the system subjects it to continuous litigation over its negligent handling of the abuse crisis.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 22:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Location, location, location.
    The Catholic Church has never ruled the world.
    They currently do rule at least one country.
    They have considerable political influence worldwide and are one of the largest and wealthiest organizations in the world.

A breakaway faction, the Anglican Church is still an official part of the British Government.

If they are not part of The System then maybe they are using their money rather selfishly.

That wealth, however, is largely used by parishioners. It resides in property, such as schools and churches and hospitals.

What is your point? The Anglicans split from the Church 500 years ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree