1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 18:12
    Interesting!

In Germany, especially in the greater towns, Protestantism, as a positive guide in faith and morals, is rapidly dying out. It has lost all hold of the working classes. Its ministers, when not themselves infidels, fold their hands in helpless despair. The old faith is but little preached and with little profit. The ministerial energies are turned towards works of charity, foreign missions, polemics against Catholics. Among the English-speaking nations things seem just a little better. Here the grip of Protestantism on the masses was much tighter than in Germany, the Wesleyan revival and the High Church party among Anglicans did much to keep some faith alive, and the deleterious teaching of English Deists and Rationalists did not penetrate into the heart of the people. Presbyterianism in Scotland and elsewhere has also shown more vitality than less well-organized sects.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 09:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Interesting!

In Germany, especially in the greater towns, Protestantism, as a positive guide in faith and morals, is rapidly dying out. It has lost all hold of the working classes. Its ministers, when not themselves infidels, fold their hands in helpless despair. The old faith is but little preached and with little profit. The ministerial energi ...[text shortened]... more vitality than less well-organized sects.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm
    Try to put this article in context. If you scroll to the bottom, you can see that it received its imprimatur in 1911. Given the general lack of ecumenical dialogue at that time, it is not surprising to read these sorts of comments.
  3. England
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 09:371 edit
    you will find similar within the roman catholic faith. my own mother is one and the numbers are dwindling and has one priest for three churchs as they moved the mass to saturday night to help the priest cope. Even when ive visited RC countrys only the parades seem to attract many not the service.
    tho the ongoings of priests over the years in abuse has not helped any christian faith
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 11:574 edits
    For seekers of the truth:

There will always be skeptics salivating over some media hype about who is dying out or who is thriving.

If you wish to know the truth, don't look around to see what media hype is claiming is either thriving or dying out.

Go by what you realize in your heart is the truth. Who is dwindling and who is thriving is irrelavant.

What you come to realize is the truth is all that matters.

Jesus said to Peter "Follow Me". The other disciples can go here or there or even to the Moon. What difference does it make to Peter? Jesus told Peter "You Follow Me." (John 20:22)
  5. England
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 14:19

Jesus said to Peter "Follow Me". The other disciples can go here or there or even to the Moon. What difference does it make to Peter? Jesus told Peter "You Follow Me." (John 20:22)[/b]
    john 20;22 when he said this he breathed on them and said to them "receive the holy spirit"
    20:21 jesus said to them again "peace be with you as the father has sent me so i send you.
    20:23 if you forgive the sins of any they are forgiven them if you retain the sins of any they are retained.
    WHERE do you get the :you follow me or even the moon quote??
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 05:35
    Originally posted by jaywill
    For seekers of the truth:

There will always be skeptics salivating over some media hype about who is dying out or who is thriving.

If you wish to know the truth, don't look around to see what media hype is claiming is either thriving or dying out.

Go by what you realize in your heart is the truth. Who is dwindling and who is thriving is irrelav ...[text shortened]... hat difference does it make to Peter? Jesus told Peter [b]"You Follow Me." (John 20:22)
    [/b]
    Dont listen to the medias propaganda, listen to yours instead, right?
    Again my beef is that , iyo, the only way to ascertain the truth is via Jesus.
    And again I say, yes, that is ONE way. But it is certainly not the only way. Why is it so hard for such an intelligent person as yourself to understand this?

(It has been pointed out several times that Muslims, Bhuddists ,etc. also say the same thing. Short of Jesus appearing to the world, i cant see any credible evidence that suggests Jesus is the only way.)

I hear you " studied"(?) Zen bhuddism when you were younger but turned to christanity later. I would suggest that this is an exception to the general trend, ie. more christians turn to Zen Bhuddism than Zen Bhuddists turning to christianity. Would you agree?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree