1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 19:21
    You know, I'm all for religious freedom. Hell, feel free to bugger a stuffed sheep carcass and call it religion for all I care. Declare yourself a Pink Pola Dotted Krishnaologist and bottle your farts as Holy Relics. However, is it really necessary to dig up dead "saints" and put them on display? This is a corpse people and I'd strongly recommend burying it. Even my dog will bury an old squirrel corpse after rolling in it a few times.

"ROME (Reuters) - The body of the mystic monk Padre Pio, one of the Roman Catholic world's most revered saints who died 40 years ago, has been exhumed to be prepared for display to his many devotees. (Wonder what the health organizations have to say about this?)

The body of the Capuchin friar, who was said to have had the stigmata -- the wounds of Christ's crucifixion -- on his hands and feet -- is to be conserved and put in a part-glass coffin for at least several months from April 24. (Several months? What are you thinking? Aren't old pictures doing the job? Can you imagine if they actually had Jesus's corpse? We'd all have finger bone of Jesus key rings... hang on now, that's not a bad idea.)

A Church statement said the body was in "fair condition", particularly the hands, which Archbishop Domenico D'Ambrosio, who witnessed the exhumation in the southern Italian town where Pio died, said "looked like they had just undergone a manicure". (He's been dead for 40 years you lunatics).

A spokesman for the monastery at San Giovanni Rotondo said he believed morticians would be able to conserve the face of the bearded monk well enough for it to be recognizable.

The body, which had been buried under marble in a crypt, was exhumed during a three-hour service that ended after midnight. (They should have had him stuffed)

A Catholic magazine once found that far more Italian Catholics prayed to Padre Pio than to any other icon of the faith, including the Virgin Mary or Jesus. (What? Are you kidding me? Obviously they've been drinking to much of the sacremental wine.)

Some 7 million people visit his tomb every year. There are some 3,000 "Padre Pio Prayer Groups" around the world, with a membership of around 3 million.

The friar, born Francesco Forgione, died in 1968 aged 81.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 19:36
    groce...
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 20:35
    Didn't they preserve lenin's body and leave it on display in the ussr?
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 20:41
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I believe so, does that make it better?

Let's just nail the "Mystic Monk" to a cross and parade him through the streets of Rome. I smell world tour baby.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 21:11
    groce, too...
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 21:50
    And Ho Chi Minh.

The biggest problem is they occasionally sprout fungi.

Mushrooms are no respecters of religion/politics.
  7. Standard memberbot 6
    Bla bla bla
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 22:26
    thats funny
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 23:46
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    And Ho Chi Minh.

The biggest problem is they occasionally sprout fungi.

Mushrooms are no respecters of religion/politics.
    I'm sure there's a market for these 'holy' shrooms. I imagine a shroom growing from Lenin's balls would bring in some decent cash in the right circles.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 01:24
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    A Catholic magazine once found that [b]far more Italian Catholics prayed to Padre Pio than to any other icon of the faith, including the Virgin Mary or Jesus.
    [/i][/b]
    Isn't it blasphemy to pray to a saint, or to the virgin Mary for that matter, if you're a Christian?
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 01:54
    If I remember correctly, Bishop John Neumann is on display in Philadelphia in a church. I could be wrong in that it could have been someone else. It was really ... memorable. Not in a good way, but rather in a "The emperor is naked" sort of way.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 06:34
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    You know, I'm all for religious freedom. Hell, feel free to bugger a stuffed sheep carcass and call it religion for all I care. Declare yourself a Pink Pola Dotted Krishnaologist and bottle your farts as Holy Relics. However, is it really necessary to dig up dead "saints" and put them on display? This is a corpse people and I'd strongly recommend ...[text shortened]... million.

The friar, born Francesco Forgione, died in 1968 aged 81.
    [/i]
    A number of sepulchres in Rome exhibit the corpses of saints. Within the Catholic Church, the idea of incorruptibility of flesh (that God personally intervenes and spares a body for resurrection) is very strong. It is seen as a pious activity to pilgramage to see these bodies.
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:15
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    A number of sepulchres in Rome exhibit the corpses of saints. Within the Catholic Church, the idea of incorruptibility of flesh (that God personally intervenes and spares a body for resurrection) is very strong. It is seen as a pious activity to pilgramage to see these bodies.
    Thats good evidence of intervention by God then, and therefore testable no?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:43
    So if this corpse happens to have degraded...does that mean Catholicism is wrong?
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 17:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    So if this corpse happens to have degraded...does that mean Catholicism is wrong?
    The holy spirit has manifested itself in the form of mushrooms. This is recognized as a divine improvement over the original human form, therefore God exists.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 19:431 edit
    The St. Gildard's Convent enshrines the uncorrupted body of St. Bernadette (Bernadette Soubiroux):

http://bretagne.air-nifty.com/anne_de_bretagne/images/nevers1.gif

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree