1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 16:331 edit
    chess is a microcosmic universe, a reflection of life within and without, of struggles and success, of plans that often go astray, of hopes and fears, of imagination and wonder, of sacrifice and giving, of how we, the humble participant, are a reflection of the movement of those constellations, as we try to forge our art and transcend that which is purely material. Chess is spiritual.

quotation attributed to robbie carrobie (false prophet, true prophet, lazy bum and vagabond)
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 16:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    chess is a microcosmic universe, a reflection of life within and without, of struggles and success, of plans that often go astray, of hopes and fears, of imagination and wonder, of sacrifice and giving, of how we, the humble participant, are a reflection of the movement of those constellations, as we try to forge our art and transcend that which is p ...[text shortened]...

quotation attributed to robbie carrobie (false prophet, true prophet, lazy bum and vagabond)
    Chess is warfare.

The slow crushing of my enemy to death.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 16:48
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Chess is warfare.

I love chess and then I hate it..... Lol.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:23
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Chess is warfare.

mmm and what about you dear Noobster, what happens when your enemy crushes you to death? when your chessmen are scattered from here to there, their general vanquished on the field of battle? does not your spirit cry for leaving? to transcend the rainbow bridge to the hall of the slain, Valhalla itself? does not laughter give way to mourning, is not the headdress exchanged for ashes, exultation and mirth become insanity and laughter becomes a release for pain. Triangles tingle and trumpets play slow, yes indeed, my dear friend, in love and in war, chess is spiritual.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:28
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I love chess and then I hate it..... Lol.
    ah yes, both spiritual concepts, to love and to hate! what is a stronger emotion than love? If one cannot appeal to others with the Good News of Gods kingdom through love, what else is left to make a stronger appeal? Who of us does not feels the wish for mercy when our chess men come crashing down around us, as we stand naked before the ominous and deadly march of our adversaries pieces! yes indeed, chess is spiritual! 🙂
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:35
    chess is a microcosmic universe, a reflection of life within and without, of struggles and success, of plans that often go astray, of hopes and fears, of imagination and wonder, of sacrifice and giving, of how we, the humble participant, are a reflection of the movement of those constellations, as we try to forge our art and transcend that which is p ...[text shortened]...

Chess is a game of black and white, of absolutes and of winners an losers...

*just thought I'd set that one up for you

😛
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:40
    Isnt there great pleasure in an evenly contested cut n thrust game that ends in an agreed draw?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:40
    mmm and what about you dear Noobster, what happens when your enemy crushes you to death? when your chessmen are scattered from here to there, their general vanquished on the field of battle? does not your spirit cry for leaving? to transcend the rainbow bridge to the hall of the slain, Valhalla itself? does not laughter give way to mourning, is no ...[text shortened]... ngle and trumpets play slow, yes indeed, my dear friend, in love and in war, chess is spiritual.
    It depends on the manner of my loss.

Being beaten by a better player, or succumbing to a brilliant piece of play i can deal with. When i lose as a result of a blunder, that pains me.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:42
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Isnt there great pleasure in an evenly contested cut n thrust game that ends in an agreed draw?
    Greater pleasure than losing? Yes
    Greater pleasure than winning? No
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:561 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester

😛
    Lol, yes, the majestic march cannot be stopped, banners full of glistening cheer, it recognises and respects no matters of an ambiguous nature, its ruthless logic is absolute, culminating in life and death! Indeed, chess is spiritual!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 17:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    ah yes, the realisation that in all events, there is an equalisation, despite the serious business of life, there is an eventuality that awaits all men, an equalisitaion, chess is spiritual
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 18:18
    Originally posted by divegeester

😛
    So that's where you get that from...Lol.
  13. ALG
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 19:00
    what is a stronger emotion than love?
    Hate, I guess.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 21:15
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    Hate, I guess.
    i dont think so, for hate is rarely based on principle, whereas love can be principled.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 21:461 edit

The difference to life is that life has infinite possibilities whereas chess only has...60 000 000 possible positions(?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree